• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 3 Discussion

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by i10casual
Metrosexual is a lame british newspaper term.

ftfy.
teacha.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
They cannot write Joan out of the show. That would be a series killer.

The line "Somewhere in this business this has happend before" was inspired.

RSN125

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I do not watch this show for shock gore. Bad form.

I don't think anyone watches Mad Men for shock gore. I found it shocked and somewhat disturbing. That said, if you consider the consistent boozing and rowdiness at the Sterling Cooper HQ's, an accident of such proportions really shouldn't be shocking.

Someone Wiener has written the show in a way where such a scene is indeed shocking. The poor form was perhaps not the gore, and not that viewers did not see this coming, but rather that viewers would not have believed it possible. The squeegee taking the blood off the windows was a tad overdone.

It felt like a departure from the era, although I can't pinpoint why I say this.

On a separate note it is a shame we don't see more of the Rodger we saw in Season 1. I get that Wiener has spread out the seasons over years, but too many characters have had personality shifts.

Still a very enjoyable show.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw them drinking at the party, and the lawn mower, and I figured somebody was going to get hurt. but the seen was epic. "he'll never play golf again". fantastic

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I basically can't stand movie gore, so this is a personal thing with me.

scotsman

Reaction score
I guess Lois found out that driving the lawnmower was more complicated than operating the switchboard.

Good to see Joan take control of the situation.

Also liked it when she told her husband to go to bed and that she would undress him.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I saw them drinking at the party, and the lawn mower, and I figured somebody was going to get hurt. but the seen was epic. "he'll never play golf again". fantastic

Me too. I thought it would be Joan.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSN125
Speculation has it that "Connie" from the bar scene is actually Conrad Hilton, who hailed from San Antonio, NM and would have been around 75 at the time and was of course financially successful.

I am curious to see if "Connie" will reappear in another episode.

Wow did somebody ever call that one!

Finally caught it just now... As others have said, epic episode. However, I agree with the others that it was a tad over-done in comparison to the typical Mad Men episode. And yeah, the gore was a bit uncharacteristic of the show. The squeegeeing of blood from the window was great though.

Epic episode, epic **** from Joan! Holy **** the scene in the dark living room... Unreal.

The actress that plays Sally is just great; one of the best kid actors on TV right now.

It was a good episode, but I don't think I could handle this every week. Too cluttered. I agree with earlier sentiments that I would really like the show to get back to some of the 'roots' with the actual advertising work that they do with clients.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scotsman
Also liked it when she told her husband to go to bed and that she would undress him.

That. Was. Awesome.

For me, the line of te night was:

Roger: "Any news?"

Crane: "he might lose his foot"

Roger: "Right when he got it in the door"

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
I agree with earlier sentiments that I would really like the show to get back to some of the 'roots' with the actual advertising work that they do with clients.

But didn't they just do that with the jai alai or however it's spelled, and the diet soda?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoilers?

Re: movie gore--although it wasn't as surprising or gratuitous as the lawnmower scene, the Korean war scene with Don and the real Don was bloody.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
But didn't they just do that with the jai alai or however it's spelled, and the diet soda?

I guess you are right... Perhaps it just didn't resonate as well for me as previous season's accounts like with the Kodak Carousel and that jewish department store.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That season 1 jewish department store scene was hilarious how they made that jewish kid stand in the office just to make the other jews more comfortable.

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSN125
I don't think anyone watches Mad Men for shock gore. I found it shocked and somewhat disturbing.

I was definitely shocked as well, but there was another weird bloody scene last week as well. When there was that short clip of Sally wiping blood on her face. Strange.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
I was definitely shocked as well, but there was another weird bloody scene last week as well. When there was that short clip of Sally wiping blood on her face. Strange.

I think at one point someone on this thread suggested that that particular scene was part of the whole hallucination that Betty was about to go through. I think that was merely the result of the fight between the Sally and the bigger girl; the latter of which hit her face into the spigot of the water fountain (says the cute brunette school teacher).

It was such a short scene (1.5 seconds) I didn't really understand the point behind showing it to begin with. Maybe to assure the audience that Sally was okay?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads