• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men season 2 discussion

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
I wonder if duck is going back to his alcoholic ways. He downed that martini pretty quick. Also, who did Don talk to over the phone when he introduced himself as Dick Whitman? The fellow he met on the train awhile back?

Off topic, but is it just me or does nobody ever drink beer? Always spirits. Was beer frowned upon back then?

Originally Posted by bcate3
Yeah, without liquor Duck is an empty suit. He comes in to talk to the Brits sober, looking for a job, but gets rebuffed. He looks at the glass, downs the martini, and makes an unauthorized pitch to sell S-C. Loved how he threw Roger's dirty laundry out there. Campbell could learn a thing or two from that pitch. Later, before talking to Roger and Bert about the Brits buying the firm, Duck pops in a breath mint -- perhaps to hide the alcohol on his breath. The bold proposal impresses Bert who says that's the Duck he had heard about. Until then, all he had seen was an underperforming, teetotaling Duck.

Originally Posted by MrGimpy
Duck is a bit of a paradox. He seems competent enough, provides strong direction to his team, is going after what he wants, yet still seems a bit pathetic.

Is this because he pales in comparison to Don and Roger? There just doesn't seem to be anything distinctive about him. He's like Fred Lumsden, but far less likeable.

Duck was definitely very interesting in this last episode, can't wait to see what happens to this storyline. His former boss seemed very interesting, I hope he shows up for a couple more episodes at least.

All in all, I think alcohol to duck is like spinach to popeye, and without it he is just a neutered shadow of himself.

Originally Posted by robbie
Its strange that Betty was not in the entire episode.

I thought it was a little disturbing, especially since she wasn't home when the suitcase was delivered.

Originally Posted by Bradford

As I told my wife, it's interesting to have a show where the lead character is actually becoming less and less likable. I realize he's coming to terms with his deception of being Dick Whitman/Don Draper but the lack of concern for his children and Betty just pisses me off.

I don't think he is becoming less likable, I think he is becoming more real.

Originally Posted by Huntsman

Anyone else notice that when Don was in the pool with Joy they were drinking Campari and soda?

Yes!

This show just gets better and better.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I just did a quick internet search of Laura Ramsey and she is pretty dissapointing. The folks at Mad Men really know how to make a low 7 look like an 11.
I would take that 7 and be extraordinarily happy...knowing she could look like an 11 if need be. I won't lie, I'd murder the lot of you to be with Joy. [EDIT] I emphasize Joy, not Laura Ramsey. Ramsey is reality show trash...Joy...she was something else.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
Having not ever read Faulkner, does the reference bear any significance to the episode/season?

It was "The Sound and the Fury," right?

Book is sorta about the downfall of a traditional upper-class Southern family. Maybe it foreshadows a downfall of Don Draper's family?

It gained most of its acclaim because it was one story told from 4 different people's perspectives, in a 'stream of consciousness' style of writing.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
[EDIT] I emphasize Joy, not Laura Ramsey. Ramsey is reality show trash...Joy...she was something else.

That was my point. And the low 7 that is Ms. Ramsey could never be the 11 that is Joy in real life. Joy like you say, "was something else".

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, but those of us who saw The Real Cancun know that Ms Ramsey puts out in real life. That bumps her up a few points in my book
laugh.gif

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
It was "The Sound and the Fury," right?

Book is sorta about the downfall of a traditional upper-class Southern family. Maybe it foreshadows a downfall of Don Draper's family?

It gained most of its acclaim because it was one story told from 4 different people's perspectives, in a 'stream of consciousness' style of writing.

I see.

I think I posted earlier about the Fred Rumsen>Death of a salesman> arthur miller>marilyn monroe who ties, reference what have you.

I was curious if there were anythings like this going on.

thanks

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don is becoming a tragic yawn-fest. I'm more intrigued by the characters in the periphery.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Don Delivers IMO,

the same thing began to happen last season and then BOOM, the salespitch for the Wheel.

This last episode was strange... easily my least favorite so far.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
GREAT episode.

loved the hot rods, the baptism scene at the end... and that we finally know who he sent the book to.

robbie

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great episode. Don Draper as Dick Whitman is a tool. The cool as ice sociopath that is his alter ego is awesome.

Peggy has gotten very interesting since her make-over
Poor Joan that scene in Don's office was a little random. I guess the writers wanted to bring her back down from cloud nine?
Betty is a hot *****.
Pete Campbell is my favorite character. The way he tossed that hen and poured himself a glass of scotch after arguing with his wife was perfect for his character.
So are Roger Sterling and Mr. Cooper.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
A tool?

He was bringing home groceries, fixing chairs, being personable...

none of the things he is in Connecticut/Manhattan.

Someone on the AMCtv talk pages mentioned something from episode 11 I hadn't noticed:

at the end of the episode Don is seated exactly opposite to the way he is during the opening credits. I think we are getting an insight into 'the other side of Don'.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes a tool. I am not watching the show to see a nice guy.

I don't mind seeing this nice guy, as long as it's a phase and he will come to his senses and go back to NYC, quit cheating on Betty (she's too hot for that) and gets back to work!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads