• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LVMH makes a move on Hermes

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225943130689

"LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton has taken a large stake in its rival, Hermes International, a bold move that could rekindle consolidation in the luxury goods industry."

musicboohoo[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This would certainly be terrible, and I admit I don't know anything about finance. But how could control of Hermes be jeopardized if the family still owns 72%? It would take a third of them to sell before there was any danger, right?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCreekHitter
Article says that part of Hermes family may want to sell their stakes.

It doesn't quite say that but it doens't rule it out either.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...and this matters how? It can only help consumers. We will not have Hermes ties with little LV logos all over it.
inlove.gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This would certainly be terrible, and I admit I don't know anything about finance. But how could control of Hermes be jeopardized if the family still owns 72%? It would take a third of them to sell before there was any danger, right?
Given the response of the share price to this news, we shall have to hope that 1/3 of them don't get greedy and slay the golden goose, I suppose. I have watched the quality of my mother's LV goods decline over the years, from poorer quality canvas, to poorer quality leather, to designs that clearly court fads, to hardware that has changed almost imperceptibly over time from brass to zamac. Would be a terrible thing if Hermes were led down the same garden path, and moved from luxury to a veneer of luxury.

navysuede

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Given the response of the share price to this news, we shall have to hope that 1/3 of them don't get greedy and slay the golden goose, I suppose.

I have watched the quality of my mother's LV goods decline over the years, from poorer quality canvas, to poorer quality leather, to designs that clearly court fads, to hardware that has changed almost imperceptibly over time from brass to zamac. Would be a terrible thing if Hermes were led down the same garden path, and moved from luxury to a veneer of luxury.

+1

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Given the response of the share price to this news, we shall have to hope that 1/3 of them don't get greedy and slay the golden goose, I suppose.

I have watched the quality of my mother's LV goods decline over the years, from poorer quality canvas, to poorer quality leather, to designs that clearly court fads, to hardware that has changed almost imperceptibly over time from brass to zamac. Would be a terrible thing if Hermes were led down the same garden path, and moved from luxury to a veneer of luxury.

It may be bad for Hermes, but at least I learned what zamac is.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
It may be bad for Hermes, but at least I learned what zamac is.
the_more_you_know.jpg

Yeah. It's light, less durable, feels like plastic even though it's a metal alloy, and most importantly, is cheap.

Has this tinny hollow cheap sounding 'clink' to it when you handle it and it strikes other metal. Unmistakable. A lot is plated with brass to give that warmer ruddier brass colour.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna wait after the final acquisition to sell my current Hermes collection as pre-LVMH era -> profit... ... eh, not.
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads