• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis vuitton and prada

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ImageWIS,

Would you agree, that for the money, there are few better finished movements and cases than a basic SS JLC Reverso?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ImageWIS,

Would you agree, that for the money, there are few better finished movements and cases than a basic SS JLC Reverso?
Do you recall the retail of the SS JLC? I'm at the office and I don't have my price guide handy. But, yes normally SS Reverso's are great values, especially since the square / rectangular watch market is rather small in the grand scheme of things, and choice is limited to say the least.

Jon.

itzamazing

Reaction score
It seems as if the original poster has had his thread hijacked. I hope this forum isn't turning into a pissing contest between boys (not men) who never will meet each other in real life and have some serious delusions of grandeur.  Somehow the same members are always in the thick of it. It never used to be like this here and I don't know about anyone else, but it is defintely giving the board a different, negative and childish tone.

Back to the original topic, I agree with everyone in that LV is the better choice over Prada for luggage. Prada really doesn't have as extensive a selection either. As for the quality of Prada nylon, some people say it is great, others say it is a waste. I have one bag which I used during undergrad and it held up fine but it did wear somewhat. I also had a Tumi and I'd have to say it held up better than the Prada. Of course Tumi cannot compare stylewise.  With so many Prada fake nylon bags out there, some people who are rating the bags could possibly have obtained fakes. I would recommend against ordering any Prada products online, where they can be found at several discount sites. The Prada leather bags, as someone else mentioned do seem to hold up very well. I'm a Prada customer and fan (of their bags only, don't shoot me) so I may be a bit biased, but I have had some bags for years and I am extremely satisified with them. The big difference is that you can find Prada on sale if price is a concern(in the boutiques or at places like Barneys and Neimans) whereas LV never goes on sale.

I think that sometimes the quality of the product is only as good as its end user.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Mercedes better than Rolls Royce or Bentley?
wow.gif
Mercedes are so overpriced, it's not even funny. I love German cars, but Mercedes... You would have to pay $400,000 to get the same quality and engineering beauty from a Mercedes that you could get from a $70,000 Porsche or BMW.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Mercedes better than Rolls Royce or Bentley? Â
wow.gif
Mercedes are so overpriced, it's not even funny. I love German cars, but Mercedes... You would have to pay $400,000 to get the same quality and engineering beauty from a Mercedes that you could get from a $70,000 Porsche or BMW.
Yes, enegineering, fine, but BMWs and Porsches are finshed in cheap plastics and appauling printed wood vynl, whereas Mercedes are not.

kalra2411

Reaction score
"I may also bring to your note, that Lakshmi Mittal does know of more expensive watches than a Patek."

You always refer to yourself in the third person? (Well, of course Lakshmi Mittal knows there are more expensive watches than Patek, unfortunately you do not).

"Although, as you, the watch expert that you are should indeed realize, the most expensive production watch is, wait for it, a Patek."

Ah, NO. The most expensive "˜production' watch ever made (new) was by Vacheron Constantin, the Kallista. The watch was retailed and sold for $5,000,000, over 130 karats of flawless emerald cut diamonds all with certification. The most expensive watch (wristwatch) retailed right now is the Blancpain 1735 Grande Complication, Platinum case on Platinum bracelet, diamond encrusted on both the case and bracelet, it retails at well over $1,000,000, much higher than Patek's ref. 5002 Sky Moon Tourbillon.

"Money is very much part of the equation, the Cartier and the Patek shown are at similar price points, with a difference of only about five thousand pounds. I am glad to see that you have said that we are not talking about monetary value of timepieces, even though I brought about the subject, it is so nice to see that you are telling me what I am talking about."

Money is not part of the equation regarding quality; one watch is better than the other because of certain mechanical and finishing aspects. The costs of one watch compared to the other does not quality make. Why are you always fretting about money? I mean, if you spend more money or less money, "˜you' of all people would be the last person in the world to fret. I mean, a $60 million wedding is just another check to write, but a Patek requires serious thought?  

"I did realise that the Patek had a better movement, but it looks bad, who cares what it is like inside, that's like saying you would drive a Toyota instead of a Mercedes/Bentley/Ferrari because the Toyota can go faster, and has an engine which is better made. It does not matter that the Toyota looks terrible to you does it? It does not matter that people will still think you are driving a Toyota does it? The point of such products is to get the reaction from others."

Apparently horology is lost on you, but I'll let you in on a little secret: it's the movement that makes the watch. Why else do you think these companies charge so much for watches with complications? Again, the aesthetic appreciation of the watch is in the eye of the beholder, is this such a difficult concept to grasp? YOU buy products to get reactions from others? HAHAHAHA. Oh, man...I can't believe you think that is how a billionaire speaks, because you are so far off the marker, it is not funny. I, am nowhere in that league, but when I buy any product, either a $30k watch, or a $50 pair of jeans at the GAP, I buy them only for me. Such insecurity is not the writing of someone at that level of global altitude.

"Ernest thinks that Jaeger Le-Couture is better than Cartier, enough said in terms of a more money buys a better product ideology."

And he is right. JLC is better finished, both inside and outside, plus the movements are ten times better (of course you posted a picture of a watch with a quartz movement, so you might not appreciate the situation). Interestingly enough there was a period of time when JLC made watches for Cartier, and they were essentially JLC's with Cartier written on the dial.

By the way, it's not an argument it is a discussion.

Jon.
Why you constantly try to prove that I am not myself bemuses greatly now, the point of annoyance has worn off.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Actually, Mr. Watch Expert the Cartier Chrono-Reflex has been deemed a far finer movement than most automatic movements on the market, by such esteemed publications as Horology International, Catro D'Vesquela and COSC Bi-Annual Review. Therefore, why you constantly call it an inferior quartz movement also brings me many laughs.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ 15 July 2004, 6:10) "I may also bring to your note, that Lakshmi Mittal does know of more expensive watches than a Patek." You always refer to yourself in the third person? (Well, of course Lakshmi Mittal knows there are more expensive watches than Patek, unfortunately you do not). "Although, as you, the watch expert that you are should indeed realize, the most expensive production watch is, wait for it, a Patek." Ah, NO. The most expensive "˜production' watch ever made (new) was by Vacheron Constantin, the Kallista. The watch was retailed and sold for $5,000,000, over 130 karats of flawless emerald cut diamonds all with certification. The most expensive watch (wristwatch) retailed right now is the Blancpain 1735 Grande Complication, Platinum case on Platinum bracelet, diamond encrusted on both the case and bracelet, it retails at well over $1,000,000, much higher than Patek's ref. 5002 Sky Moon Tourbillon. "Money is very much part of the equation, the Cartier and the Patek shown are at similar price points, with a difference of only about five thousand pounds. I am glad to see that you have said that we are not talking about monetary value of timepieces, even though I brought about the subject, it is so nice to see that you are telling me what I am talking about." Money is not part of the equation regarding quality; one watch is better than the other because of certain mechanical and finishing aspects. The costs of one watch compared to the other does not quality make. Why are you always fretting about money? I mean, if you spend more money or less money, "˜you' of all people would be the last person in the world to fret. I mean, a $60 million wedding is just another check to write, but a Patek requires serious thought? "I did realise that the Patek had a better movement, but it looks bad, who cares what it is like inside, that's like saying you would drive a Toyota instead of a Mercedes/Bentley/Ferrari because the Toyota can go faster, and has an engine which is better made. It does not matter that the Toyota looks terrible to you does it? It does not matter that people will still think you are driving a Toyota does it? The point of such products is to get the reaction from others." Apparently horology is lost on you, but I'll let you in on a little secret: it's the movement that makes the watch. Why else do you think these companies charge so much for watches with complications? Again, the aesthetic appreciation of the watch is in the eye of the beholder, is this such a difficult concept to grasp? YOU buy products to get reactions from others? HAHAHAHA. Oh, man...I can't believe you think that is how a billionaire speaks, because you are so far off the marker, it is not funny. I, am nowhere in that league, but when I buy any product, either a $30k watch, or a $50 pair of jeans at the GAP, I buy them only for me. Such insecurity is not the writing of someone at that level of global altitude. "Ernest thinks that Jaeger Le-Couture is better than Cartier, enough said in terms of a more money buys a better product ideology." And he is right. JLC is better finished, both inside and outside, plus the movements are ten times better (of course you posted a picture of a watch with a quartz movement, so you might not appreciate the situation). Interestingly enough there was a period of time when JLC made watches for Cartier, and they were essentially JLC's with Cartier written on the dial. By the way, it's not an argument it is a discussion. Jon.
Why you constantly try to prove that I am not myself bemuses greatly now, the point of annoyance has worn off.
So you cannot answer my responses in kind then? Again instead of point / counterpoint, you just spurt one sentence that proves my point to a great extent. And, maybe you have not noticed, it is the rest of the forum that is amused with you and not the other way around. Tell me again how Quartz Cartier's are better than mechanical Tourbillon JLC's... Jon.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I do not care what 'the rest of the forum' as you put it believe, I am myself, Lakshmi Mittal, I did not come here flaunting that I was Lakshmi Mittal, I was asked many times about my identity, so I revealed, and the fact that I now receive insults, and a lack of belief is the epitome of disgusting behavior.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Actually, Mr. Watch Expert the Cartier Chrono-Reflex has been deemed a far finer movement than most automatic movements on the market, by such esteemed publications as Horology International, Catro D'Vesquela and COSC Bi-Annual Review. Therefore, why you constantly call it an inferior quartz movement also brings me many laughs.
Tell me again how Quartz Cartier's are better than mechanical Tourbillon JLC's...

Shows how much you understand, I said automatic movement, not mechanical (i.e. wound) - a tourbillion is a complication. I would not know why the Chrono-Reflex is better than most automatic movements, but as you should know, three much esteemed publications in the world of watches have said so.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(TCN @ 15 July 2004, 3:56) ImageWIS, Would you agree, that for the money, there are few better finished movements and cases than a basic SS JLC Reverso?
Do you recall the retail of the SS JLC? I'm at the office and I don't have my price guide handy. But, yes normally SS Reverso's are great values, especially since the square / rectangular watch market is rather small in the grand scheme of things, and choice is limited to say the least. Jon.
It's been a while since I looked at them, but I seem to recall that the basic model could be had for around $4K.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(kalra2411 @ 15 July 2004, 10:03) Actually, Mr. Watch Expert the Cartier Chrono-Reflex has been deemed a far finer movement than most automatic movements on the market, by such esteemed publications as Horology International, Catro D'Vesquela and COSC Bi-Annual Review. Therefore, why you constantly call it an inferior quartz movement also brings me many laughs.
Tell me again how Quartz Cartier's are better than mechanical Tourbillon JLC's...
Shows how much you understand, I said automatic movement, not mechanical (i.e. wound) - a tourbillion is a complication. I would not know why the Chrono-Reflex is better than most automatic movements, but as you should know, three much esteemed publications in the world of watches have said so.
which publications? 3 among how many? 150? paid by Cartier?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 14 July 2004, 9:01)
Originally Posted by kalra2411,14 July 2004, 2:23
With reference to E. Goyard, there products are horrible looking. They constantly approach me to have something custom made by them, but I obviously decline, as their products look so bad to me. They even offer me absurd discounts, but I am not going to buy something, which looks so bad. I am a firm believer that the most expensive product is not always the best, as is often the case: Mercedes is far better than Rolls Royce or Bentley. Cartier is far better than Rolex or Patek (agreed, Pateks are much better made watches, but Cartier simply look a lot better). Johnnie Walker Green Label is better than Blue Label Johnnie Walker Black Label is better than Glenfiddich Vuitton is better than Goyard But then again, most expensive can also mean the best: Boeing is better than Bombardier (Learjet) is. Kiton, Huntsman, Oxxford, Bijon and Brioni are better than Zegna. Murano is better than Lalique Dom Perignon, and Roderer Crystal are better than Moet & Chandon or Bollinger
Cartier looks better than Patek?  A lot better? That's a joke? As a joalier, Cartier work on the look of his watch not on the movement. However I am not sure Cartier looks even just  better than Patek, so a lot of better... Do you consider only "look" in your purchase?
I was curious as to whether you were the person who had the Boucheron? Cartier utilizes standard ETA items that they slightly modify.
I have a Boucheron

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a162.jpg
DSC13.jpg
DSC14.jpg
Patek is better???
Much better. Have you even tried the aquanaute ? I do not think so... Talking about just look of a watch, you have 3 differents thing : 1) picture 2) real life 3) wearing on your wrist Many watches look nice in 1) but are ugly in 3) Can I tell you that Patek has not only one model and Cartier neither.

kalra2411

Reaction score
(kalra2411 @ 15 July 2004, 2:14)
Originally Posted by kalra2411,15 July 2004, 10:03
which publications? 3 among how many? 150? paid by Cartier?
Horology International, Catro D'Vesquela and COSC Bi-Annual Review.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads