Louis vuitton and prada

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ithappens, Jul 13, 2004.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes, Goyard's chevron pattern isn't too appealing. [​IMG] On an aside I find Dunhill to have some nice luggage as well.

2. TCN

TCN Senior member

I'll confess to being ignorant when it comes to evaluating nylon, so please anyone feel free to correct me, but I would imagine that with a few very high-tech exceptions, nylon is probably rated on some standard scale for thickness and durability.

It would surprise me if Prada's nylon is anything more special than Tumi's or even Samsonite (the stuff probably all comes from Dupont). I mean at the end of the day, it's just nylon for heaven's sake. Like I said, I may very well be wrong, but this rampant speculation was fun.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I recall reading somewhere that Prada's nylon was the same as used for the Italian army's parachutes.

All my Prada nylon items I have never used on a daily basis so I cannot comment.

Prada has always had an innovative approach to materials. They used to make luggage suites in walrus skins before Miuccia took over.

4. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Yes, Dunhill make some nice luggage, as do Bottega Veneta.

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

Cartier looks better than Patek? A lot better? That's a joke?

As a joalier, Cartier work on the look of his watch not on the movement.

However I am not sure Cartier looks even just better than Patek, so a lot of better...

Do you consider only "look" in your purchase?

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

(kalra2411 @ 14 July 2004, 2:23) With reference to E. Goyard, there products are horrible looking. They constantly approach me to have something custom made by them, but I obviously decline, as their products look so bad to me. They even offer me absurd discounts, but I am not going to buy something, which looks so bad. I am a firm believer that the most expensive product is not always the best, as is often the case: Mercedes is far better than Rolls Royce or Bentley. Cartier is far better than Rolex or Patek (agreed, Pateks are much better made watches, but Cartier simply look a lot better). Johnnie Walker Green Label is better than Blue Label Johnnie Walker Black Label is better than Glenfiddich Vuitton is better than Goyard But then again, most expensive can also mean the best: Boeing is better than Bombardier (Learjet) is. Kiton, Huntsman, Oxxford, Bijon and Brioni are better than Zegna. Murano is better than Lalique Dom Perignon, and Roderer Crystal are better than Moet & Chandon or Bollinger
    Cartier looks better than Patek?  A lot better? That's a joke? As a joalier, Cartier work on the look of his watch not on the movement. However I am not sure Cartier looks even just  better than Patek, so a lot of better... Do you consider only "look" in your purchase?
    I was curious as to whether you were the person who had the Boucheron? Cartier utilizes standard ETA items that they slightly modify.

7. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

(ernest @ 14 July 2004, 9:01)
    With reference to E. Goyard, there products are horrible looking. They constantly approach me to have something custom made by them, but I obviously decline, as their products look so bad to me. They even offer me absurd discounts, but I am not going to buy something, which looks so bad. I am a firm believer that the most expensive product is not always the best, as is often the case: Mercedes is far better than Rolls Royce or Bentley. Cartier is far better than Rolex or Patek (agreed, Pateks are much better made watches, but Cartier simply look a lot better). Johnnie Walker Green Label is better than Blue Label Johnnie Walker Black Label is better than Glenfiddich Vuitton is better than Goyard But then again, most expensive can also mean the best: Boeing is better than Bombardier (Learjet) is. Kiton, Huntsman, Oxxford, Bijon and Brioni are better than Zegna. Murano is better than Lalique Dom Perignon, and Roderer Crystal are better than Moet & Chandon or Bollinger
    Cartier looks better than Patek?  A lot better? That's a joke? As a joalier, Cartier work on the look of his watch not on the movement. However I am not sure Cartier looks even just  better than Patek, so a lot of better... Do you consider only "look" in your purchase?
    I was curious as to whether you were the person who had the Boucheron? Cartier utilizes standard ETA items that they slightly modify.
    What do you mean by:
    Ernest, I feel the watch thread starting again, just forget it, everyones opinion to themself.

8. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

I will say one think though ernest, those who always find the most expensive item the best, as you do, often cannot afford the item, and take a very closed mind when looking at the item.

9. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Patek is better???

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Um, lets set aside the difference between personal taste regarding design and quality (apparently a concept that is lost by certain people) shall we?

That Cartier uses a quartz movement, and I don't know where to begin what's wrong with that...especially since it is not made as a beater watch...but (gulp) as a dress watch.

Plus, comparing a PP ref. 5065/1A SS on SS bracelet to a Cartier 18kt w/ diamonds on strap Tank Francaise Chronoreflex from a design standpoint, is like comparing a pair of pants made with Loro Piana cashmere to a pair of pants made with polyester, just two completely different worlds.

Edit:

"Those who always find the most expensive item the best, as you do, often cannot afford the item, and take a very closed mind when looking at the item."

Interestingly enough, I have not seen Ernest (and I am the last person on the forum who would normally defend Ernest) exhibit this particular trait, are there links regarding particular threads you can post that can verify this?

Again money is thrown into the equation, but since we are not discussing anything remotely concerning the monetary costs of the timepieces, I can only assume that it is used as a reflex mechanism to cower behind, instead of making a logical, erudite argument.

As well, Patek is not necessarily the most expensive watch on the market when it comes to certain models and complications. Lange and RD, for example have models that cost more than the comparable Patek variant.

Jon.

11. TCN

TCN Senior member

Agreed, they're in a different league. In terms of quality, there's Patek and then there's everyone else (although wow, the gap is closing in the sub $30,000 category). Although I think a plain Tank Francais is a beautiful and classic watch (and Cartier does a nice job on the dial), I am reminded of a photo I once saw of a diamond encrusted Cartier Pasha (with diamonds on the protective "grate" as well), that haunts me and rears its ugly head in my memory bank . . . it was truly a disturbing looking watch. I think Trump wears one. [​IMG]

12. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

If you thought that I would further argue this, you are mistaken. By the way, Jon, I may also bring to your note, that Lakshmi Mittal does know of more expensive watches than a Patek. Vacheron, Richard Mille and Roger Dubis cost more than Lang, see I know more than you, two can play at the same game. Although, as you, the watch expert that you are should indeed realise, the most expensive production watch is, wait for it, a Patek.

Money is very much part of the equation, the Cartier and the Patek shown are at similar price points, with a difference of only about five thousand pounds. I am glad to see that you have said that we are not talking about monetary value of timepieces, even though I brought about the subject, it is so nice to see that you are telling me what I am talking about.

It is obviously not like comparing Loro Piana to polyester. It is like comparing maybe a fashion suit, e.g. Dior Homme, to a similarly priced Kiton, which I see nothing wrong with doing.

I did realise that the Patek had a better movement, but it looks bad, who cares what it is like inside, that's like saying you would drive a Toyota instead of a Mercedes/Bentley/Ferrari because the Toyota can go faster, and has an engine which is better made. It does not matter that the Toyota looks terrible to you does it? It does not matter that people will still think you are driving a Toyota does it? The point of such products is to get the reaction from others.

Ernest thinks that Jaeger Le-Couture is better than Cartier, enough said in terms of a more money buys a better product ideology.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

"I may also bring to your note, that Lakshmi Mittal does know of more expensive watches than a Patek."

You always refer to yourself in the third person? (Well, of course Lakshmi Mittal knows there are more expensive watches than Patek, unfortunately you do not).

"Although, as you, the watch expert that you are should indeed realize, the most expensive production watch is, wait for it, a Patek."

Ah, NO. The most expensive "˜production' watch ever made (new) was by Vacheron Constantin, the Kallista. The watch was retailed and sold for $5,000,000, over 130 karats of flawless emerald cut diamonds all with certification. The most expensive watch (wristwatch) retailed right now is the Blancpain 1735 Grande Complication, Platinum case on Platinum bracelet, diamond encrusted on both the case and bracelet, it retails at well over $1,000,000, much higher than Patek's ref. 5002 Sky Moon Tourbillon.

"Money is very much part of the equation, the Cartier and the Patek shown are at similar price points, with a difference of only about five thousand pounds. I am glad to see that you have said that we are not talking about monetary value of timepieces, even though I brought about the subject, it is so nice to see that you are telling me what I am talking about."

Money is not part of the equation regarding quality; one watch is better than the other because of certain mechanical and finishing aspects. The costs of one watch compared to the other does not quality make. Why are you always fretting about money? I mean, if you spend more money or less money, "˜you' of all people would be the last person in the world to fret. I mean, a $60 million wedding is just another check to write, but a Patek requires serious thought?

"I did realise that the Patek had a better movement, but it looks bad, who cares what it is like inside, that's like saying you would drive a Toyota instead of a Mercedes/Bentley/Ferrari because the Toyota can go faster, and has an engine which is better made. It does not matter that the Toyota looks terrible to you does it? It does not matter that people will still think you are driving a Toyota does it? The point of such products is to get the reaction from others."

Apparently horology is lost on you, but I'll let you in on a little secret: it's the movement that makes the watch. Why else do you think these companies charge so much for watches with complications? Again, the aesthetic appreciation of the watch is in the eye of the beholder, is this such a difficult concept to grasp? YOU buy products to get reactions from others? HAHAHAHA. Oh, man...I can't believe you think that is how a billionaire speaks, because you are so far off the marker, it is not funny. I, am nowhere in that league, but when I buy any product, either a $30k watch, or a $50 pair of jeans at the GAP, I buy them only for me. Such insecurity is not the writing of someone at that level of global altitude.

"Ernest thinks that Jaeger Le-Couture is better than Cartier, enough said in terms of a more money buys a better product ideology."

And he is right. JLC is better finished, both inside and outside, plus the movements are ten times better (of course you posted a picture of a watch with a quartz movement, so you might not appreciate the situation). Interestingly enough there was a period of time when JLC made watches for Cartier, and they were essentially JLC's with Cartier written on the dial.

By the way, it's not an argument it is a discussion.

Jon.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

(LabelKing @ 15 July 2004, 07:04)
    With reference to E. Goyard, there products are horrible looking. They constantly approach me to have something custom made by them, but I obviously decline, as their products look so bad to me. They even offer me absurd discounts, but I am not going to buy something, which looks so bad. I am a firm believer that the most expensive product is not always the best, as is often the case: Mercedes is far better than Rolls Royce or Bentley. Cartier is far better than Rolex or Patek (agreed, Pateks are much better made watches, but Cartier simply look a lot better). Johnnie Walker Green Label is better than Blue Label Johnnie Walker Black Label is better than Glenfiddich Vuitton is better than Goyard But then again, most expensive can also mean the best: Boeing is better than Bombardier (Learjet) is. Kiton, Huntsman, Oxxford, Bijon and Brioni are better than Zegna. Murano is better than Lalique Dom Perignon, and Roderer Crystal are better than Moet & Chandon or Bollinger

What do you mean by:
    Ernest, I feel the watch thread starting again, just forget it, everyones opinion to themself.
    Oh, I meant if Ernest owned that Boucheron that was posted a little while back. The most expensive watch I believe sold was a Patek Caliber 89 pocket watch for $17,000,000.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Labelking,

To clarify, the cal. 89 pocket watch in 18kt yellow gold was sold by Antiquorum in Geneva on behalf of Patek for Sfr. 4,950,000 ($3,000,000) was the most expensive new Patek ever sold.

I think the piece you are thinking of is the Graves Supercomplication, which was sold in 1999 by Sotheby's for the immense sum (for a pocket watch) of $11,003,500. Whilst, it is the most expensive portable timepiece ever sold, it does not hold the record for the most expensive timepiece sold, that title goes towards Vacheron.

Jon.