• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Los Angeles hair stylist?

mbc

Reaction score
Later this month I'm moving to the Pico/Robertson area of West LA. I need to find a decent hair stylist, preferably in the price range (or cheaper) that I'm paying now, which is $40/cut + tip. Any recommendations?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i go to a barber. just make sure you stay NORTH of pico and you'll find plenty of options.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood - I live about 8 blocks from Pico/Robertson (and work about 20 blocks the other direction). You might try the Umberto location on Robertson (just north of 18th, on the east side). It's their "training" salon for their entry-level stylists. I believe this is reflected in the prices. If you develop a relationship with someone you like there, I think it's fairly common for them to let you keep paying the same price even when/if they move to the "main" salon in BH.
FWIW, there's a guy named Vin who started there and now works at the main Umberto salon in Beverly Hills. He started cutting my daughter's hair when he was at the "trainee" location and continues to cut it. (My daughter plans to marry him, apparently not regarding the 20 or 25-year age difference much of an obstacle).
He cut my hair once when I needed a quick hair cut and my regular person wasn't available. He did a good job, and I think he probably charged me about $40 (I can't honestly remember, though). The only reason I haven't gone back is that the woman who has been cutting my hair for years (and who charges a little more) is a friend who I feel some loyalty to and who knows my hair and how I like it.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i go to a barber. just make sure you stay NORTH of pico and you'll find plenty of options.
On the other hand, I suspect the average price increases as you move north of Pico. Not that I have anybody to recommend, but if I were looking and had a $40 + tip budge I wouldn't be so quick to turn my nose up at somebody in Culver City or Mar Vista.

Mutant Hairs

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Rudy's Barbershop and Shorty's Barbershop.

Rudy's has more locations (check their website www.rudysbarbershop.com). I just got my hair cut at the Rudy's Silverlake location over the weekend. $21.

I haven't been to Shorty's in about 9 months. They're located on Fairfax north of Melrose. When I last went, it was $16 for a haircut.

Both of these barbershops cater to a hipsters and the gay community, so you can definitely get something decent and stylish.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
On the other hand, I suspect the average price increases as you move north of Pico. Not that I have anybody to recommend, but if I were looking and had a $40 + tip budge I wouldn't be so quick to turn my nose up at somebody in Culver City or Mar Vista.

to me 40 smacks is a lot for a man's haircut, especially since i've never had a good one that cost more than $20. it seems to me that the more i spend, the more the cutter focuses on overall shape, and less on the details.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
to me 40 smacks is a lot for a man's haircut, especially since i've never had a good one that cost more than $20. it seems to me that the more i spend, the more the cutter focuses on overall shape, and less on the details.
I don't necessarily disagree. My only point was that assuming he wants to stay local and not deal with the hassle of driving up into (and, more to the point, parking in) h-wood or something, prices north of Pico (go 2 blocks north of Pico and you're in Beverly Hills) are likely to be significantly higher on average than south of Pico. Probably some decent options on Pico itself, although I can't immediately picture anything in my mind's eye.

alflauren

Reaction score

Unless you're going to some place like Supercuts, I think $40 is a reasonable price in West LA. Yeah, I scoff at the price, too, but I've had difficulties finding a cheaper place that does a good job. I pay about $40 (I think? maybe more) at Anthony Palladino's shop in the BH Hilton, and I haven't bothered to look elsewhere since they do a great job and I'm not in LA all that much.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
Unless you're going to some place like Supercuts, I think $40 is a reasonable price in West LA. Yeah, I scoff at the price, too, but I've had difficulties finding a cheaper place that does a good job. I pay about $40 (I think? maybe more) at Anthony Palladino's shop in the BH Hilton, and I haven't bothered to look elsewhere since they do a great job and I'm not in LA all that much.

i go to tel's barber shop in santa monica. either randy or brian will do an excellent job if you're specific about what you want. they charge $15.

Sunny1

Reaction score
I had been in search of someone to do Microchet in Los Angeles for toooo long. I finally found someone and she is GREAT. Her name is Doc and her site is at www.Diva-Up.com

My hair looks very, very diva and very natural. I can wear my hair anyway I like and my husband says he can barely feel the extensions. Check it out. I am always excited when I find something this good and thought I'd share. I also feel a bit bad when I see girls with tacky extensions.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rudy's Barber Shop at the Standard on Sunset Blvd. No firills haircut for less than 40 USD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads