• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking good without tie/coat/sweater, but not Streetwear

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out Baron's posts in the Streetwear What Are You Wearing Today.

-Jeff

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Well, the eternal US academic dilemma - what shall I wear! From my humble experience as an academic being very well put together will give you more attention and courtesy form your students compared with your colleagues that sport a more "de-structured" outfit. I tend to have more sport coats than suits, I go no-tie from time to time, but a very elegant professor will be more respected by his/her students than a sloppy one - it is all about the message: if I am sloppy as a dresser, it is presumably sloppy in his thinking. Of course, it always depend on what you are teaching.
The main problem is with the rest of the faculty, and there is your intelligence work to do, because I suppose that you are not on a tenured position, so it is important what your colleagues will think of you.
As options you can go with what I call "elegant casual", as you are living in a permanent summer - so linen/silk is an option, fresco or crispaire suits (you can find great deals now with end of series), good quality shoes, etc. The Sartorialist has some great examples, or if you want to go the classical style there are on the London Lounge good illustrations from AA/Esky in the '30 and '40.
My advice is to buy less, but buy quality, as you need only one season clothes, so the investment is lesser than for at least two sets of wardrobe. Go for 3 sport jackets and 4 pairs of pants (coordinated) and you will have 7 different outfits, 7 shirts of good quality - my fav are H&H, 3 button downs, 4 classic, some good shoes (at least 3 pairs, but you can find good deals on the bay, check Ron Riders ebay shop he has some stunning shoes at a very low price), a good assortment of pocket squares, one good watch and one good cologne.
Frankly you can be more elegant than a guy wearing a suit without having to wear one (as you are eliminating the "stiffness" factor), keeps you sporty without being corporate looking (which academia hates!
These are my 2 euro cents.
Good luck!

Kohan

Reaction score
I feel like this discussion could have a little more accuracy of focus if we knew what subject you taught. Argumentation is a different kettle of fish from Theoretical Physics, both of which are miles away from Techniques in Sculpture. None more valid than the other, of course, but the topic does bear weight on the matter.

And I know most students dress like they just rolled out of a discount bin, but there's still a double-standard applied to anyone who expects--and deserves--respect and attention from their students. A lot of students feel entitled to roam the halls of academia dressed as surfer bums, because after all they (probably) pay to go there, and the general dress code of american schools - both collegiate and otherwise - has slid downmountain in the past 60 years. But professors, and teachers in general for that matter, represent a more formal, institutionalized paradigm (to quote this morning's anthro lecture), from which we expect visual support of said respectability.

This doesn't mean we expect all professors to wear coat and tie, far from it, but I would draw the line at overly colorful and playful classroom attire, such as the ribbon belts and attention-grabbing socks.

And re-reading this post makes me feel like I've been spending too much time with my schoolbooks. Kind of embarrassing, but there you have it.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelMichael37
This doesn't mean we expect all professors to wear coat and tie, far from it, but I would draw the line at overly colorful and playful classroom attire, such as the ribbon belts and attention-grabbing socks.
Depending on the institution I think you might be aiming a little high. Here are a couple of typical examples.. Early winter morning lecture in large theatre: Lecturer turns up in thick loose socks falling off his feet (shoes probably left in his office), tracksuit pants that were barely staying on, and thick very loose jumper (I don't think there was anything underneath). Mid summer afternoon lecture: Professor turns up in tight mid-thigh shorts, tucked in short sleeve button-down, knee-high socks, and oxfords. One often wore socks with thongs (flip flops) in winter. After a while we didn't even notice. +1 on the fit thing but don't stick to a single style, good fit doesn't just mean tight. There is no reason to wear chinos* to keep it casual either. I prefer woollen trousers to cotton unless the material is interesting. Get plenty of shirts and trousers in interesting textures and colours and styles and they will be usable for more than just teaching. I agree with everyone else on the addition of nice belts and shoes to give you a large number of possible combinations and add lots of variety. Add a tie and/or sports coat, cardigan, jumper in to the mix once in a while (it must get colder early mornings / late nights in winter). *For me typical chino weight pleated cotton and colours bring to mind a mid west small town business look, not necessarily casual, and I'm not even from the US.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Frankly, I get horrified by stories like this! I cannot understand why intelligent people can get in such a state (aside total hybris). I would not wash my car in an outfit like that, and probably, if someone will point in face of the students like this, he/she would have to have an explanation with the dean. I can understand statements or being sartorially challenged, or just not to care, but looking like a bum is too much!

Quatsch

Reaction score
I know I certainly plan to roll with a lot of tweeds and bowties when I get my Ph.D. and get a university job teaching history.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads