• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for new winter jacket inspo

bugaboo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was into goretex/techwear jackets in the past, but have since phased most of it out (ACRNM stuff mainly). I'm struggling to find a new winter jacket. Was thinking something from vis or Kapital but can't really find anything. Feel free to post some winter jacket inspo here (sorry no techwear please lol).

For reference I wore this the past couple winters layered overtop of an Acronym insulator: https://stockx.com/uniqlo-x-engineered-garments-fleece-combination-jacket-black

I'd love something simple like that. Not really interested in peacoat style button jackets.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winterwear can be tricky because in many cases you have some functional requirements above and beyond style.
  1. What temperature range will you be wearing?
  2. Wet or dry weather? Is the wet rain or snow?
  3. What clothing style are you wearing it with (just casual jeans/shirt or suit/tie ) - goes to the formality of the jacket
  4. Are you always going to layer or do you want a jacket that has all the warmth you need?
  5. What activities will you be doing in the jacket?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow...I don't consider that a winter jacket at all. I could not survive in that here in NYC.

bugaboo

Reaction score
Winterwear can be tricky because in many cases you have some functional requirements above and beyond style.
  1. What temperature range will you be wearing?
  2. Wet or dry weather? Is the wet rain or snow?
  3. What clothing style are you wearing it with (just casual jeans/shirt or suit/tie ) - goes to the formality of the jacket
  4. Are you always going to layer or do you want a jacket that has all the warmth you need?
  5. What activities will you be doing in the jacket?
Thanks for your questions!

1. I'm in Toronto so probably -15 to -20 degrees C.
2. Both.
3. Not much of a jeans guy. I wear slack style pants mostly.
4. I'm open to both. I don't think I'd want a down filled puffy type jacket though
5. Mostly commuting.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's cold weather. You don't want technical jackets and you don't want Pea coats or puffy jackets. So, you've got Overcoats (usually a more formal coat), duffle coats (not sure if those are out because of your comment on button style). Or a non technical parka - something like a Canada Goose

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your questions!

1. I'm in Toronto so probably -15 to -20 degrees C.
2. Both.
3. Not much of a jeans guy. I wear slack style pants mostly.
4. I'm open to both. I don't think I'd want a down filled puffy type jacket though
5. Mostly commuting.

As you know, Toronto gets cold and windy. -15C to -20C will feel much worse when the wind whips up off of the lake. You definitely want something that will shield you from the winter breeze.

I am not sure that jacket will go with wool trousers however. Perhaps a nice overcoat would be better considering the style you are describing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I lived in Moscow for a copule of years and while it did not get as cold as where you live, it got pretty cold during the winter. I mostly survived off base layers. WoolX makes a very heavy wool one that's useful.

Got by with
- heavy wool baselayer
- oxford and flannel shirts
- chunky knitwear, often Shetlands or cashmere
- then some heavy coat.

Outerwear was sometimes as thin as a waxed cotton coat (not terribly recommended) and heavy wool dress coats.

Tailors will often break up the categories of dress coats according to weight. IIRC, a topcoat is light -- maybe around 20 to 24 oz cloth. Overcoats are considered above 24 oz (I may be wrong on the exact numbers).

I kept a heavy overcoat. I don't know the exact weight, but I would guess 32oz. If you mainly wear slacks, you can try getting an overcoat to layer over either your sport coats, suits, or just heavy knitwear. Between all those layers, I felt that I was able to keep reasonably warm (plus a scarf, gloves, and whatnot)

There is a discussion about different dress coat styles in this thread. You may find it useful

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nigel Cabourne or Fjallraven Numbers might be worth a look if you like the classic mountaineer outdoor look with a twist.

I like a good waterproof insulated Parka when it gets cold and wet. I like to layer under a rain Mac when it's changeable weather, very versatile

TexasToast

Reaction score
The North Face has good utilitarian jackets but nothing noteworthy in the sartorial sense

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads