• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for advice/feedback on wedding tuxedo

primetimeseano

Reaction score
Thanks for the links!

I've thought it over more, and I'm leaning towards the tux. I wouldn't wear it to someone else's daytime wedding (or any other daytime event, for that matter). I think a suit could look great too, but my fiancee seems to have her heart set on me wearing a tux, and I'm probably never going to have another excuse to buy one. It's something I can see myself enjoying on one or two occasions a year for quite some time (assuming I can stay in half decent shape:D).

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you have a tux, you'll find occasions to wear it. Besides, your partner will have more occasions to buy some spiffy outfits so that the two of your will look great together. Win-win, I'd say.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Once you have a tux, you'll find occasions to wear it. Besides, your partner will have more occasions to buy some spiffy outfits so that the two of your will look great together. Win-win, I'd say.

+1. A tuxedo can be worn with perfect propriety to the opera, the symphony, or the ballet. Give your bride-to-be a pair of full-fashioned stockings to wear with a knee-length dress in such settings, and women will wish their man dressed that well, and the guys will envy you.

Last edited:

primetimeseano

Reaction score
I'm going to stick with the tux, although since I'm getting a suit anyway, I think I'll switch up my order and get something that would be good for the wedding if I change my mind.

For the tux, I'm going with a midnight blue, one button with a shawl collar. I'm going to see if I can get it ventless. For the lapel covering and strips on the legs, should I do satin or grosgrain? I'm thinking I'll wear it with white suspenders, a black tie and a black cummerbund. For a shirt, I'll do a pique bib with studs. Thoughts? Any recommendations for shoes, studs, etc.? I was thinking Sam Hober for the bow tie.

As for the suit, I'd like something versatile enough to wear to the office for presentations and stuff and to other people's weddings. Maybe funerals too. I have a bunch of standard business suits now. For this one I was thinking a dark navy two button with peak lapels and trousers fitted with buttons for suspenders. Would that cover all the bases?

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
For the tux, I'm going with a midnight blue, one button with a shawl collar. I'm going to see if I can get it ventless. For the lapel covering and strips on the legs, should I do satin or grosgrain? I'm thinking I'll wear it with white suspenders, a black tie and a black cummerbund. For a shirt, I'll do a pique bib with studs. Thoughts? Any recommendations for shoes, studs, etc.? I was thinking Sam Hober for the bow tie.

I like grosgrain myself, but it's a personal choice. Just ensure that the tie is made of the same fabric type as the lapels. I picked up my Dion grosgrain/faille self-tie bowtie at Harry's. I think it would be more expensive from SH once you add in the exchange factor ($US pricing), duties, etc. I can't comment on the difference in quality between the two, but I don't know that it would be worth it for me for that particular piece. Since you're going with white for the suspenders, I would recommend Albert Thurston in the moire pattern - super sharp.

I've already chimed in on shoes and studs, so I'll leave that to others.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm going to stick with the tux, although since I'm getting a suit anyway, I think I'll switch up my order and get something that would be good for the wedding if I change my mind.
You can always use one in the afternoon and one for the party. Your guests will also get to change before dinner?

Shawl often implies a bit more relaxed, so pique/marcella front isn't the obvious choice. But they're all in the family. Do make sure it's a regular semi-spread collar, however.

For shoes, you could do pumps, but those may not be the best choice if you're on your feet a lot. Safer to do plain-toed Oxfords. Edward Green Carnegie is a logical place to start, and I think Brooks Brothers and Alden both have their versions. There was a time when they didn't, so I ordered a pair from Vass with a last I knew would work on my foot. Studs? Keep it simple and not too large. Match the cufflinks.

For bow-ties, Sam Hober does great work but they will want to make it a one-piece. That requires being quite sure of your measurements before ordering. Consider buying an adjustable to mail to them once you've set it to the right place. Or just wear an adjustable. [As civilized as it is to use a one-piece, the hardware won't show through your collar.]

As for the suit, I'd like something versatile enough to wear to the office for presentations and stuff and to other people's weddings. Maybe funerals too. I have a bunch of standard business suits now. For this one I was thinking a dark navy two button with peak lapels and trousers fitted with buttons for suspenders. Would that cover all the bases?
If it's too snazzy, you might not want it for the office. So be careful about peak lapels. If you go with braces, do not get belt loops. Unless you also plan to wear a belt.

Last edited:

primetimeseano

Reaction score

I like grosgrain myself, but it's a personal choice. Just ensure that the tie is made of the same fabric type as the lapels. I picked up my Dion grosgrain/faille self-tie bowtie at Harry's. I think it would be more expensive from SH once you add in the exchange factor ($US pricing), duties, etc. I can't comment on the difference in quality between the two, but I don't know that it would be worth it for me for that particular piece. Since you're going with white for the suspenders, I would recommend Albert Thurston in the moire pattern - super sharp.

I'm second-guessing myself on the white suspenders... What color did you go with?

primetimeseano

Reaction score

You can always use one in the afternoon and one for the party. Your guests will also get to change before dinner?

They'll have plenty of time if they want to, but I doubt anyone will. My family and friends are pretty casual.

Shawl often implies a bit more relaxed, so pique/marcella front isn't the obvious choice.

I thought shawl and peak were generally treated as more or less equivalent in terms of formality. I was going to with peak lapels originally, but I didn't like the waistcoat patterns that were available (they looked more like vests), so I decided to go with shawl lapels because they seem to be considered a better fit with a cummerbund. What would you recommend for a shirt? I'm not a fan of pleats.

For shoes, you could do pumps, but those may not be the best choice if you're on your feet a lot. Safer to do plain-toed Oxfords. Edward Green Carnegie is a logical place to start, and I think Brooks Brothers and Alden both have their versions. There was a time when they didn't, so I ordered a pair from Vass with a last I knew would work on my foot.

What do you think of Allen Edmonds Carlyles (http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m.../SF8830.html?dwvar_SF8830_color=8830#start=14)? Any downside to not getting patent leather?

Studs? Keep it simple and not too large. Match the cufflinks.

Thoughts on where to buy them? I want the quality to be decent, but I also don't want to break the bank. I like the MOP/silver combo.

If it's too snazzy, you might not want it for the office. So be careful about peak lapels.

I don't mind standing out a bit on occasion. Hahaha. Would peak lapels be inappropriate for a funeral though?

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score

I'm second-guessing myself on the white suspenders... What color did you go with?

I have the white moire I described (possibly why I think they look good!). Don't overthink it - just pick a white or black set and be done with it.

You've already made 90% of the decisions with the jacket/trousers/cummerbund. The rest is just details at this point, most of which you have a good idea of already, and none of which you can really get wrong at this point unless you go completely haywire.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1 on not overthinking it. I got married a couple of years ago and wore croc wholecuts instead of patents/ slippers.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't overthink it - just pick a white or black set and be done with it.

Or your college colors, or naked women. Nobody needs to know but you.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. That one has a nice, clean look. And it's not hard-boiled starched, just semi-soft.

primetimeseano

Reaction score

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thrift shops or ebay are always good for shirt studs and links. Something old, something new. Or is that just for the bride :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads