• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a place to stay in San Fransisco

Cognacad

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Me and a friend are looking to possibly spend some vacation time in San Francisco. He is about to start his MSc and I my PhD so we feel as if this may be one of the last opportunities to can get together somewhere in the world for some time.

This might be a long shot, but I am wondering if anyone would be willing to house me and my (male) friend (he actually introduced me to this forum). We would likely be staying for about a week to 10 days, although I would be interested in staying longer. We would like to stay in a good part of town close to the touristic locations and such, or close to public transit that could bring us to these places.

We would be willing to grab a spare bedroom or to "house-sit" if someone is looking for a (positive) presence in their home while they are away. Dates are pretty flexible I think, as long as it is in July or August. We are happy to pay if someone is gracious enough to house us (or present a nice gift), but we probably can't afford a hotel equivalent rate or anything.

Please get back to me by replying to this thread or with a PM
smile.gif

Also, please share any ideas for things to do in SF! I've never been...

Mike

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
What can you afford? "The Noe Valley Victorian" is a B&B that is in the low $100 range per night, for a one bedroom apartment. There is also a studio that is cheaper (and a 2 bedroom that is a little more). It's not in a "touristy" area, but it is in a very cool neighborhood (Valencia Corridor), and has easy access to BART (putting you in Union Square less than 30 minutes after leaving the B&B).

Cognacad

Reaction score
Hey! Thanks for the reply. That price is probably slightly out of my range, but I could potentially settle for something like that if needed. I am trying to track down some good hostels as well, which would probably end up being cheaper than a B&B. I haven't found anything great yet, but I will keep looking!

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should check out airbnb.com, i think you'd find what you need there.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! That website looks pretty good, I will certainly keep an eye on it... I will try out couch surfing too.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: couch surfing, it's alright most of the time and you don't need to be as concerned if you're a guy, but you just need to be on the lookout for sketchy/incompetent hosts that are creeps/weird or leave you locked out of the house for periods of time. At least with Airbnb, the actual monetary transaction creates a sense of commitment on both sides to make the arrangement work.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
re: couch surfing, it's alright most of the time and you don't need to be as concerned if you're a guy
He will be in San Francisco, mind you.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Cognacad

Reaction score
Still thought it was funny, especially considering some of the couch surfing ads I saw :|

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Are you a Frat? Send out an S O S.

Cognacad

Reaction score
No I'm not in a frat, and not sure what an S.O.S. would be but I don't think this would apply to me
frown.gif
No dorms either I think in the nicer areas so probably wouldn't be able to stay in one of those either.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Student on Sofa
but Hostels work or Craigslist...I think they used to do house sitting ads

Cognacad

Reaction score
Cool thanks! I have contacted a few people on couch websites and such, but no useful replies yet....

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can pick up 3.5-5 star hotels for relatively cheap ($75-200) via priceline/hotwire. May take some effort but if it can be had.

Also maybe you could stay a little outside of SF and then take Caltrain into the city? Or BART. Just some ideas...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads