• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a new suit

Berengier

Reaction score
Well, this is my first post here, I thought I'd start with a question for you all. I'm looking for a new suit - or, specifically, a new brand of suit. I have been wearing Jos A. Bank suits for the past three years, but don't care for the baggy fit.

My problem is I have a rather unusual body structure. I'm six-feet three inches tall, heavily-built, with a long torso and rather short legs. I'm somewhere between a 48 and a 50 in my coats, about a 42 in my waist (but hopefully soon dropping to a 40). My inseam is short, only about 32 1/2 inches, but my arms are long, about a 36 in shirts. Can anyone point me towards a suit-maker that might fit me a little better? My price range is $500-$800.

Thanks,
Jim

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sorry you haven't gotten any replies. Part of the problem is that a lot of members lean toward made-to-measure or bespoke. I'm really not very aware of suit makers in the price range you're talking about, so I can't really make any helpful suggestions.

I'm also bad with numbers, so it's hard for me to tell exactly how odd your body is. However, if your body really is that oddly proportioned, you might need to consider made-to-measure for a correct fit. The trick is finding a decent made-to-measure suit for less than $800.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're having trouble finding a suit that fits off the rack, take a look at some MTM services. If you're spending upwards of $800 you should be able to find something. I'm not knowledgeable on MTM offerings, so do a search of the forums and i'm sure you can learn quite a bit about your options.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a MTM Brooks Brothers suit is well north of $800.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually, Samuelsohn made-to-measure might fit in your budget. It's a Canadian maker, much loved over at AskAndy. Of course, everything I've seen has been yawn-inducing. But the same is true with Jos. A. Bank, only moreso. If you're just looking for a suit that generally fits, it's probably more than 'suit'-able.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm pretty sure a MTM Brooks Brothers suit is well north of $800.

Yes you're right, I edited my post in the midst of you posting this after I had researched it a little.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check mytailor.com to see whether they come to where you live. Your price range will get you a good suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads