Looking for a good start to raw denim.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mrmartinmiii, Oct 18, 2006.

1. mrmartinmiii

mrmartinmiii Member

Hey guys, this is my first post, and i've recently bought a pair of BDG jeans from Urban Outfitters. They're pretty cool, and i've been wearing the hell out of them. However, i'd like to start off with my first pair of expensive jeans. I'm a size 30, with about a 30 inseam. I was looking at about three choices, the APC New Standards in 28, the Nudie Slim Jims in 31, and the True Religion Bobby Raw in 30. If you guys have any suggestions just help me out, i'd really like a nice pair of jeans that i can wear alot, but still look good when i go out and stuff. I like my jeans not too loose, not too baggy, kinda like the 501's when you go one size up. Any help is appreciated.

2. Bungee Man

Bungee Man Senior member

I think the New Standards would be a good place to start. I vote for those. Nice jean for the price.

3. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Hey guys, this is my first post, and i've recently bought a pair of BDG jeans from Urban Outfitters. They're pretty cool, and i've been wearing the hell out of them. However, i'd like to start off with my first pair of expensive jeans. I'm a size 30, with about a 30 inseam. I was looking at about three choices, the APC New Standards in 28, the Nudie Slim Jims in 31, and the True Religion Bobby Raw in 30. If you guys have any suggestions just help me out, i'd really like a nice pair of jeans that i can wear alot, but still look good when i go out and stuff. I like my jeans not too loose, not too baggy, kinda like the 501's when you go one size up. Any help is appreciated.

I have the $50 BDG jeans as well... they're close to my ideal fit with a nice fitted, straight leg. But after stretching out around the waist, I wished I had picked up a size smaller. I'll probably never wash them for fear of them shrinking lengthwise into flood pants.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

PC NS or RRDS would be a great place to start.

5. jean_connoisseur23

jean_connoisseur23 Senior member

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

If you get the Slim Jims and you're a 30" waist, get a 30 if you want that relaxed fit. A 31 will be too big for you

8. timpoblete

timpoblete Senior member

Another vote for the New Standards. Be sure to size down at least 1", but 2" recommended because they will stretch a lot. Had a 31 (I'm a 32) and at first they fit just right, but then after about a week they stretched out to a 33 or more. Plus they're cheaper than the Nudies right?

9. GWHiZiTSPHiL

GWHiZiTSPHiL Senior member

my vote definitely goes to nudies.

10. digital_denim

digital_denim Big Lose

PC new standards. subtle, looks good, and inexpensive (relatively for what you get)

11. knucks

knucks Senior member

From what i've read, APC would be the way to go. personally, I love my Crate (if only the waist was PERFECT)

12. mrmartinmiii

mrmartinmiii Member

thanks guys, however i have a question. someone posted that i should get a 30 on the Nudie Slim Jims. What i'm really looking for is that fit that i get when i wear a 31 on my Levi's 501. Those to me are the perfect fit, so what do you recommend i get based on this? thanks guys for all your help.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

Honestly, it's really hard to tell what the fit will be. Try to find the pair in-store somewhere and try it on.

14. mrmartinmiii

mrmartinmiii Member

thanks guys for all your help, now if i could only find out where i can buy some apc's in the los angeles/san fernando valley area....

15. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Hollywood Trading Company (either location). South Willard carries them as well, afaik. They are smaller though, so they probably have limited stock.

You should also be able to try Slim Jims at HTC, or Ron Herman @ Fred Segal Melrose