• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a good start to raw denim.

mrmartinmiii

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post, and i've recently bought a pair of BDG jeans from Urban Outfitters. They're pretty cool, and i've been wearing the hell out of them. However, i'd like to start off with my first pair of expensive jeans. I'm a size 30, with about a 30 inseam. I was looking at about three choices, the APC New Standards in 28, the Nudie Slim Jims in 31, and the True Religion Bobby Raw in 30. If you guys have any suggestions just help me out, i'd really like a nice pair of jeans that i can wear alot, but still look good when i go out and stuff. I like my jeans not too loose, not too baggy, kinda like the 501's when you go one size up. Any help is appreciated.

Bungee Man

Reaction score
I think the New Standards would be a good place to start. I vote for those. Nice jean for the price.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrmartinmiii
Hey guys, this is my first post, and i've recently bought a pair of BDG jeans from Urban Outfitters. They're pretty cool, and i've been wearing the hell out of them. However, i'd like to start off with my first pair of expensive jeans. I'm a size 30, with about a 30 inseam. I was looking at about three choices, the APC New Standards in 28, the Nudie Slim Jims in 31, and the True Religion Bobby Raw in 30. If you guys have any suggestions just help me out, i'd really like a nice pair of jeans that i can wear alot, but still look good when i go out and stuff. I like my jeans not too loose, not too baggy, kinda like the 501's when you go one size up. Any help is appreciated.

I have the $50 BDG jeans as well... they're close to my ideal fit with a nice fitted, straight leg. But after stretching out around the waist, I wished I had picked up a size smaller. I'll probably never wash them for fear of them shrinking lengthwise into flood pants.

Reaction score
apc

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
If you get the Slim Jims and you're a 30" waist, get a 30 if you want that relaxed fit. A 31 will be too big for you

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the New Standards. Be sure to size down at least 1", but 2" recommended because they will stretch a lot. Had a 31 (I'm a 32) and at first they fit just right, but then after about a week they stretched out to a 33 or more. Plus they're cheaper than the Nudies right?

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
PC new standards. subtle, looks good, and inexpensive (relatively for what you get)

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what i've read, APC would be the way to go. personally, I love my Crate (if only the waist was PERFECT)

mrmartinmiii

Reaction score
thanks guys, however i have a question. someone posted that i should get a 30 on the Nudie Slim Jims. What i'm really looking for is that fit that i get when i wear a 31 on my Levi's 501. Those to me are the perfect fit, so what do you recommend i get based on this? thanks guys for all your help.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it's really hard to tell what the fit will be. Try to find the pair in-store somewhere and try it on.

mrmartinmiii

Reaction score
thanks guys for all your help, now if i could only find out where i can buy some apc's in the los angeles/san fernando valley area....

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hollywood Trading Company (either location). South Willard carries them as well, afaik. They are smaller though, so they probably have limited stock.

You should also be able to try Slim Jims at HTC, or Ron Herman @ Fred Segal Melrose

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads