• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Last Comparison (026, Capital, 3625)

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the title says: how do these lasts compare in terms of:

- size (e.g. size x in last y means -0.5 in last z etc.)
- shape (e.g. suitable for high instep, roomy toebox etc.)
- look (sleekness, chisel or rounded toe etc.)

I found the following related threads, but they didn't contain all the information I wanted:
Loake 3635 last
Loake capital last (thread #1)
Loake Capital last (thread #2)

Here are pictures of the lasts:

026:

454-424-photo3.jpg

Capital:

2388-1288-photo3.jpg

3625:

3062-1655-photo3.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have experience with the 026 and capital lasts, both in UK8F. For reference, my feet measure US9D with slightly low insteps.

026:
-traditional round toe design
-short length
-good for average to high insteps

Capital:
-soft square toe
-longer than the 026 (iirc, I don't have my 026 last shoes anymore)
-good for average to high insteps
-roomy toebox

The 026 was unwearably tight in 8F and I'm quite convinced an 8.5F would have resulted in a poor fit. The Capital fits me fine with felt tongue pads and slim 3/4 orthotics.

*edit: fwiw, both shoes were bals/oxfords.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's valuable information. Sounds like the Capital last would fit me rather well.

Now, anyone with experience with the 3625?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you guys describe the Capital last as being on the narrow, snug side in terms of width or are they a pretty standard medium width like Peal for Brooks Brothers and most others?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Would you guys describe the Capital last as being on the narrow, snug side in terms of width or are they a pretty standard medium width like Peal for Brooks Brothers and most others?

I find my Capital last shoes (UK8F) roomier (all over) than my US9D BB Peals (AS 87 and 99 lasts and C&J 240 last).

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I find my Capital last shoes (UK8F) roomier (all over) than my US9D BB Peals (AS 87 and 99 lasts and C&J 240 last).

Good to know - thanks! I'm a US 10.5 C width so if I were to ever do these I'd likely need a tongue pad and insole (like a bunch of my shoes have anyway) in a Loake size 9.5 F.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Good to know - thanks! I'm a US 10.5 C width so if I were to ever do these I'd likely need a tongue pad and insole (like a bunch of my shoes have anyway) in a Loake size 9.5 F.

Moar EGs instead!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Moar EGs instead!

Ha! That's always ideal! The one pair I like from Loake are the Blackfriars double monks which are similar to the JL Chapel.

Smudge

Reaction score
In my experience, Monkstraps on the 026 last run a little bigger than Balmorals on the same last so I would size down 1/2 a size (or go one narrower). I have 3 pairs of Loake Balmorals (brogue and semi brogues) all of which fit perfectly in 10F. I ordered a pair of Monkstraps on the 026 last (10F again) and have had to put insoles in.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to take the risk and bought these:

3064-1658-photo3.jpg

They fit me better than the 026 last; will post pics and more details later.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Those look great, look forward to photos. Also could you post a link to the shoes.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only compare it to the 026, I don't have shoes on the capital last.
The 3625 fits me (high instep, long toes, overall small feet, esp. small heel) better than the 026. I have chukkas on the 026 in 10 and 10.5 and neither fits really well. 3625 in 10 on the other hand fits me relatively well. There's still the problem with the instep (slight V is formed when laced), but it isn't as bad.
Especially the toebox is roomier on the 3625.

The look: the 3625 is chiseled and a little elongated, a very nice and sleek looking last imho.

Quality: this model is the "Herring Reading", a line to the standards of Loake's "Shoemakers" (if I'm not wrong), one step under the 1880 line. I wouldn't have bought non-suede shoes, the normal leather of the 1880 range already isn't great.
I see nothing wrong with them at first glance (though I can't look inside the shoe, where the reason for the price most likely lies). One noticeable sign of cheapness: you can see the thread where the quarters are sewn together, on all my other oxfords, this is covered with a tiny leather flap.
A big disadvantage so far is the tongue: it isn't curved at the end, but rectangular; it pricks at the ankle in a really, really unpleasant way. It's almost unwearable this way. But I guess it isn't that bad, either it will soften up or I will cut it curved. Will report later.

The pics (I also included a few pics of a chukka on the 026 to compare):

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
****, I'm going to have to take another look at Loake. This is the same as Tyrwhitt, no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads