• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
I have Anson loafers and they go with chinos and flannel trousers perfectly. Also work with jeans, but I think Imperial loafers in dark brown suede would be the superior choice to walk the line between casual and formal.

As for the boots you've mentioned, I'd say Chatsworth, Roehampton, Lytham, and Anglesey are balanced for casual and business casual. Sehdberg, Glendale and Bedale are more on the casual side.

In the most reductionist sense, formality is a sliding scale involving these things:
Formal - shiny, smooth, dark, simple, fine.
Casual - matte, textured, light, detailed, chunky.

All of those boots are perfectly suited for winters. In fact, a lot of us will not even encounter conditions harsh enough to really put them to the test.

Thank you very much! This does bring more clarity and makes the choice easier. Gladly, some of the mentioned models are available in the local store and a pair can be shipped rather quickly. Would you recommend Anglesey over Sedbergh?

Last edited:

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
By the way, I wear a pair of brogues occassionally as the weather is still quite warm. However, the leather seems to attract cold and my feet get colder rather quickly when wearing them. Would you say, it is expected that the boots will be as cold inside as brogures and only socks can provide more warmth? It doesn't help that the job is sedentiary and the office space is rather cold.

Last edited:

KOz

Reaction score
By the way, I wear a pair of brogues occassionally as the weather is still quite warm. However, the leather seems to attract cold and my feet get colder rather quickly when wearing them. Would you say, it is expected that the boots will be as cold inside as brogures and only socks can provide more warmth? It doesn't help that the job is sedentiary and the office space is rather cold.

Based on what you've mentioned I'd personally pick Anglesey. Just make sure you're happy how they feel/fit. Life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes.

Leather wouldn't "attract" cold, but it might be an insufficient insulator for you. Boots would be warmer by virtue of covering more surface area. For additional warmth, consider thicker wool socks, or fur lining (Loake Wolf).

In fact, footwear might not even be the issue. Perspiration can, during the course of the day, decrease the effectiveness of your socks/shoes insulation. In such cases, consider carrying additional dry socks to the office.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
Based on what you've mentioned I'd personally pick Anglesey. Just make sure you're happy how they feel/fit. Life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes.

Leather wouldn't "attract" cold, but it might be an insufficient insulator for you. Boots would be warmer by virtue of covering more surface area. For additional warmth, consider thicker wool socks, or fur lining (Loake Wolf).

In fact, footwear might not even be the issue. Perspiration can, during the course of the day, decrease the effectiveness of your socks/shoes insulation. In such cases, consider carrying additional dry socks to the office.

What is exceptional about the fit of Anglesey? I'm pretty young, but this year discovered that my feet get swollen sometimes during the day and fotwear that seemed comfortable suddenly hurt my feet. This problem was more actual during the summer. It would be nice to find a pair that would not hurt feet either.

KOz

Reaction score
What is exceptional about the fit of Anglesey? I'm pretty young, but this year discovered that my feet get swollen sometimes during the day and fotwear that seemed comfortable suddenly hurt my feet. This problem was more actual during the summer. It would be nice to find a pair that would not hurt feet either.

Nothing specific about the Anglesey - just a general comment.

Feet do swell up based on conditions. Depending on where they feel uncomfortable, you can always try a wider (G) fit, or size up by half a size.

Swampster

Reaction score

I tried a pair of the Wolf boots. The fur felt fantastic -felt like a warm hug from a contented pet - but the boots were just a touch snug for me. I think my feet may have stewed in their own juices as I rarely spend long enough in anywhere sufficiently cold to need them.

Swampster

Reaction score
Both warm weather and later time of day will both cause feet to swell. The Harvard Medical School (?!) website advice is to buy shoes in the afternoon to account for this. Time of day is basically gravity, warm weather is increased fluid in the extremities to help cooling.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
I tried a pair of the Wolf boots. The fur felt fantastic -felt like a warm hug from a contented pet - but the boots were just a touch snug for me. I think my feet may have stewed in their own juices as I rarely spend long enough in anywhere sufficiently cold to need them.

I was also considering the Woolf boots a few years ago. However, the winter was mild and there was little need for really warm boots. This is like a lottery here. Some years the winters are harsh and some years they are rainy and we have a few weeks with a snow cover. It would still be nice to have a nice pair of boots that protect from mild cold and rain.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
Both warm weather and later time of day will both cause feet to swell. The Harvard Medical School (?!) website advice is to buy shoes in the afternoon to account for this. Time of day is basically gravity, warm weather is increased fluid in the extremities to help cooling.

Good point. I would need to travel to another town to try them on feet.

Panama

Reaction score

Since becoming a diabetic, my feet are as cold as ice due to poor circulation...

Panama

Reaction score
these are my Aldwych… got them 8 years ago… still on their original sole as I haven’t worn them enough to wear out…

they discontinued the tan some years ago… I wonder if light tan is becoming less popular nowadays as there seems a tendency to dark brown shades, at least judging from postings on here and other social media. View attachment 1842139
The current offerings are brown, mahogany, dark brown and black...

JohanNiklas

Reaction score
Hyde in the Swedish autumn.
20221102_074152.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads