• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casablanca

Reaction score
On the subject of quality issues:
As I mentioned a while ago, I bought a pair of Chesters a year ago at a discount as they were display models in Debenhams. I've worn them 1 or 2 days a week since and have been very happy, although the leather soles are a tad slippery on damp footpaths. I've taken good care of them(shoe trees, alternating and applying cream etc) and planned on re-soling them in Danite when they fall due. However in the last week or so, I noticed the heel beginning to lift and separate. Given the level of wear, I'm a bit surprised at this and have emailed Lakes for an opinion, quoting the Quality Control Ref on the booklet etc. I'll let ye know the result.

Last edited:

Stemo79

Reaction score
On the subject of quality issues:
As I mentioned a while ago, I bought a pair of Chesters a year ago at a discount as they were display models in Debenhams. I've worn them 1 or 2 days a week since and have been very happy, although the leather soles are a tad slippery on damp footpaths. I've taken good care of them(shoe trees, alternating and applying cream etc) and planned on re-soling them in Danite when they fall due. However in the last week or so, I noticed the heel beginning to lift and separate. Given the level of wear, I'm a bit surprised at this and have emailed Lakes for an opinion, quoting the Quality Control Ref on the booklet etc. I'll let ye know the result.

If this separation was evident when you purchased them then you could have sent them back as the heel wouldnt have been tacked properly. However as this has formed after purchase and several wears Id say its more likely through wear and you catching them. Considering that when you walk naturally you are putting pressure on the heel against a solid surface this can only force the heel against the sole, you would need an opposite force to cause a separation and I cant think of any other way of that happening by itself.

You can email Loake but they will only refer you to Debenhams.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the leather? Being that it is corrected grain? How much in duties/customs/taxes?

Yeah, I did get hit with customs...

I know this is heresy, but I'm not that bothered about corrected grain on a Chelsea. On some shoes or boots I would be, but these are all-purpose travel shoes for me and they've got to do a job and they do it. I have a pair of lined winter boots from Herring that are also corrected grain. They have to take a hell of a battering with the water and salt of an Ontario winter. The result is that they won't last forever. But that's fine.

I wore the Chelseas for three days solid in Berlin recently at a conference, which happened to be a good way to wear them in. When I first put them on they seemed a little too blobby (I generally prefer a bt more definition in the form of the last). But after three days, they are starting to take some shape now, and I like them.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still thinking about buying a pair of Burford boots. I haven't had boots before. A slightly odd question: what are they like to drive in? I am thinking of a geared car and not an automatic. Thanks in advance.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
I am still thinking about buying a pair of Burford boots. I haven't had boots before. A slightly odd question: what are they like to drive in? I am thinking of a geared car and not an automatic. Thanks in advance.

I do this all the time with boots... 6 speed manual, no probs ;)

Stemo79

Reaction score
You don't change into driving shoes!!?? The Horror!!

Odradek

Reaction score

I am still thinking about buying a pair of Burford boots. I haven't had boots before. A slightly odd question: what are they like to drive in?  I am thinking of a geared car and not an automatic. Thanks in advance.

Not an issue at all, although it probably depends more on the car.
I still have a problem with my left ankle due to the clutch pedal on my old Citroen Berlingo.
Heavy but the real problem was the placement of the pedal itself.

Currently driving a Ford S-Max, and although I curse the car daily, the clutch is fine. Six speed manual.
Once the boots are worn in there should be no issue with ankle flexibility.

Last edited:

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
You don't change into driving shoes!!?? The Horror!!

lol

Do many guys actually do this?

I've given it thought, even tried it one time, but after one or two trips it was already a hassle... Especially getting in to NYC and having to change shoes in a parking garage while people are waiting to pull in behind you.

Stemo79

Reaction score
lol

Do many guys actually do this?

I've given it thought, even tried it one time, but after one or two trips it was already a hassle... Especially getting in to NYC and having to change shoes in a parking garage while people are waiting to pull in behind you.
I couldnt imagine wearing any boots whilst driving, theyre heavy, hot, uncomfortable and cause more creasing to the boots. Whilst its not always practical to change I value the comfort of a slip on especially on longer journeys.

Casablanca

Reaction score

On the subject of quality issues: As I mentioned a while ago, I bought a pair of Chesters a year ago at a discount as they were display models in Debenhams. I've worn them 1 or 2 days a week since and have been very happy, although the leather soles are a tad slippery on damp footpaths. I've taken good care of them(shoe trees, alternating and applying cream etc) and planned on re-soling them in Danite when they fall due. However in the last week or so, I noticed the heel beginning to lift and separate. Given the level of wear, I'm a bit surprised at this and have emailed Lakes for an opinion, quoting the Quality Control Ref on the booklet etc. I'll let ye know the result.
Further to my story above, I emailed Loakes the pics asking for an opinion. The main body of my email was enquiring as to whether the Chesters could be re-soled and re-heeled in Danite and whether such a service was available to me as I don't live in the UK and, if so, the cost of same. The €/£ conversion rate would then influence whether it would be cheaper for me to buy a new pair. The email was dated the 26/09/2015. I didn't get a reply. Disappointing.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, that's less than a week, they'reprobably going to answer you soon.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the Loake 290? I got it down between Jack Erwin Ellis boots and the Loake 290, but I'm saving a lot more money on the Loake 290s as they're factory seconds.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
Anyone rocking the brown grain Hyde boots? Pics if so?

Haven't picked up a pair of these yet and was thinking the pebble grain could be a good option for lighter rainy/snowy days (where something with a lug sole isn't really needed), but the normal brown calf version I keep seeing looks maybe too nice to pass up.

Odradek

Reaction score

Anyone rocking the brown grain Hyde boots? Pics if so?

Haven't picked up a pair of these yet and was thinking the pebble grain could be a good option for lighter rainy/snowy days (where something with a lug sole isn't really needed), but the normal brown calf version I keep seeing looks maybe too nice to pass up.

I have the regular brown version.

I have seen the brown grain version from a few online retailers like Pediwear and Herring, but have never seen them in the flesh.

There is also another "two-tone" version, MTO for a Swedish retailer, but I think it looks a bit odd.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
They really are great looking boots (maybe not the two tone...haha) and I will have them by the end of the year in one color or the other!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thejazzcat