• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living and working in Denmark (Copenhagen)

The Swede

Reaction score
Swedish and Danish are closely related in a very strange way. They understand perfectly what we say but to us their strange guttural gargling is incomprehensible. This leads to the common phenomenon of us trying the speak English with them and them answering in Danish to us.

Norwegian is easier to understand, provided they speak the one of their two languages which is not crazy sounding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_language

mgz

Reaction score
The norwegian language you're referring to isn't a spoken language, it's written. What we speak are dialects. So there.

The Swede

Reaction score
I know, but they are still difficult to understand. I have always wondered though: Norwegians understand Swedish better than we understand Norwegian. The same goes for Danes. But how well do Danes and Norwegians understand each other?

mgz

Reaction score
I understand written danish perfectly, and spoken only if they speak VERY slow. The other way around with swedish. Dunno what it's like for danes.

Btw, Copenhagen is a sweet city. OP should go.

misterbear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Swede
Swedish and Danish are closely related in a very strange way. They understand perfectly what we say but to us their strange guttural gargling is incomprehensible.

As an American with no prior knowledge of either language, Swedish was definitely more intuitive to me than Danish - the words SOUND like what they LOOK like. Danish, on the other hand, seems to have a lot of silent consonants or something ... when I was asking for directions to the my company's engineering R&D office in Copenhagen at the Hertz office in Kastrup Airport, I was like "Um, excuse me, but how does THIS correspond to aroowowwowoewewewow. Could I have a GPS unit?" "Uh, we're out." Great.

Needless to say, after missing an exit, I found myself taking a stochastic drive all around Copenhagen for a couple of hours. One of the gas station attendants that I queried pointed me in the wrong direction - ironically, it was the guy who spoke excellent English. The attendant at the Shell Station with a shaky command of English gave me better directions by wildly gesticulating and making clicking and popping noises with her mouth. I'm pretty sure she was just adding sound effects to help illustrate her directions and wasn't speaking Danish to me. Pretty sure.

I really liked Copenhagen though - the city, the people, the overall vibe. You Danes seem to have the largest concentration of TALL hot girls in the world. I kind of felt short over there at 6ft/183cm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads