• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LInen Shirt Recommendations

waitwhat

Reaction score
Jantzen has linen shirts available, and according to forum posts they are medium to heavy in comparison to other linen shirts. I have never had a linen shirt, what is it comparable to(in terms of cooling power).

UK2004

Reaction score
Will definetly try on some Borelli linen ones as gf asked me to buy them last summer but i was off linne, I think they were the 60/4 mix ones.

When you wear your linen shirts, what trousers do you wear them with, what shoes and do you roll the sleeves up a bit? Pics would be excellent guide!

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I roll the sleeves....usually wear with summer jeans, shorts, or kakhis.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the one Tomasso showed in his post from Paul Stuart several years ago. It is a wonderful shirt.

One of my current favorites is a Kiton. It is trim cut and has a small cutaway collar.

Between the two, the PS cost much less and has held up very well. The Kiton seems a little fragile and I'm not really sure how long it will last.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I bought the one Tomasso showed in his post from Paul Stuart several years ago. It is a wonderful shirt.

One of my current favorites is a Kiton. It is trim cut and has a small cutaway collar.

Between the two, the PS cost much less and has held up very well. The Kiton seems a little fragile and I'm not really sure how long it will last.

My favourite linen shirt is a Kiton one with a button down collar in which you do not see the button (there is no through going hole, just a hole at the back of the collar; I guess it may be common but I had never noticed this before buying this shirt). It is kind of light brown with blue stripes. In the same collection there are other very nice colour combinations, like orange and yellow, I believe to recall. It is maybe a little bit to "slim" for my taste, but it has the advantage that I feel OK both wearing it tucked in and, occasionally, wearing it untucked.

I am about to order one or two MTM ones for this summer, but the problem is that my MTM shirtmakers do not have very interesting linen cloths, and almost nothing with stripes, except a few Loro Piana cloths that I find frankly overpriced. On the other hand, I only use linen in summer so that shirts will last for years, so I may swallow my pride as we say around here, and pay Dr. Ing. Loro Piana what he demands.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for low-end linen shirts? I know Old Navy shirts have been recommended here in the past, but according to their website they currently only carry cotton/linen blends. Banana Republic has 100% linen, although not slim fit, they might be worth checking out at the end of the season.

Trilby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by waitwhat
Jantzen has linen shirts available, and according to forum posts they are medium to heavy in comparison to other linen shirts. I have never had a linen shirt, what is it comparable to(in terms of cooling power).

Agreed - they have a good selection of different colours (all solids), but the cloth is relatively heavy and doesn't breathe especially well.

I had a linen shirt made recently elsewhere from one of the Thomas Mason books (I didn't realize they even did linen). Best selection I've ever seen of different linens, with a lot of stripes and other patterns. My shirt is a blue prince of wales check, in pretty lightweight cloth.

spreadcollar

Reaction score
That's the name of the game.

Originally Posted by nate10184
I really like the feel and texture of linen shirts but have always heard they wrinkle easily. Is this true even for linen from high end makers?

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am digging some of the new linen shirts Brooks is offering but there is a model with something called a convertible collar that is unclear from the pics.

I have a Kiton one that I love but I avoid linen so it gets worn less and less every year.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Any suggestions for low-end linen shirts? I know Old Navy shirts have been recommended here in the past, but according to their website they currently only carry cotton/linen blends. Banana Republic has 100% linen, although not slim fit, they might be worth checking out at the end of the season.

Lands End and Brooks Brothers on sale.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your choice. I'd want a point collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads