• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LInen Shirt Recommendations

UK2004

Reaction score
Am looking for a nice white linen shirt that will look good with sleeves rolled up a bit in summer, any recommendations, normally for dress shirts I have Brioni, Zegna, Canali, Borelli etc.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a mindboggling Stefano Ricci linen shirt at Nieman Marcus a few months ago. It was "marked down" from $960 to $475 on last call. Light blue linen with small flowers.

UK2004

Reaction score
I bet that was an amazing shirt, the cotton and silk Ricci ones I have seen have been incredible!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UK2004
Am looking for a nice white linen shirt

The Cooper from Paul Stuart:

1124070.jpg

Originally Posted by UK2004
Am looking for a nice white linen shirt .......normally for dress shirts I have Brioni, Zegna, Canali, Borelli etc.
Don't all these makers offer linen shirts?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic: what's a Cooper collar?

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I understand corectly ...
Where the colar is one piece ... so that when you leave it open it has a smoth transittion. I have a Zegna winter, cahmere/coton twil with that colar.
Il post som detail shots later ...

I also have a RLPL in linen that i like a lot with that colar, maybe il do a detail of that to ...
I am not impressed by the ThomaPink linen shirt i have, but the Nodus are not bad, in terms of fabric and cut.

Speed

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
If I understand corectly ...
Where the colar is one piece ... so that when you leave it open it has a smoth transittion. I have a Zegna winter, cahmere/coton twil with that colar.
Il post som detail shots later ...

I also have a RLPL in linen that i like a lot with that colar, maybe il do a detail of that to ...
I am not impressed by the ThomaPink linen shirt i have, but the Nodus are not bad, in terms of fabric and cut.

Speed

If that's really it, it makes me think of either mall cashiers or Eric Glennie.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression he was talking about the collar in the picture.
a "col Danton" or notched shawl collar ...
But I may just be misunderstanding, but that its a strictly casual collar.

imo it has absolutely nothing in common with mall cashiers.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the feel and texture of linen shirts but have always heard they wrinkle easily. Is this true even for linen from high end makers?

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if you compare it with a madras cotton ... I would consider them in the same league
biggrin.gif
But Linen creases ... in pants, shirts etc. But you generally wear them when its hot and they have a nice cooling effect imo. So you live with it Speed

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
always heard they wrinkle easily. Is this true even for linen from high end makers?
Yep.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
I really like the feel and texture of linen shirts but have always heard they wrinkle easily. Is this true even for linen from high end makers?

Yep, like Klennex. But, that is part of it's charm.
laugh.gif

I love a nice linen shirt and have several dress shirts in linen. They are soooo nice to have in hot, humid settings.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to the OP q. As you like Borelli, have you tried their cotton linen blends. I have seen some 60/40 that look good. I also believe one of the SF salesmen swears by Barba: "Barba, it's 100% linen, I wear it all the time and will never sell it
smile.gif
" Speed

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
For something to throw on, wear untucked with the sleeves rolled up I like Vilebrequin...they have white and also great bright colors.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hartford makes some very nice linen camp shirts, if you're looking for something a little more casual. That PS above looks great...I may pick it up for the summer.

Since I do a lot of drinking and outdoor activities, my go-to shirt in the summer is a white linen from J. Crew. It's got a great fit and I won't get upset when somebody finally kills it at a street fest, since it cost under $50.

+1 on the Borrelli linen/cotton blends if you want something to wear under a blazer for al fresca dining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads