• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LInen Shirt Recommendations

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Where else would you put your cigars or sunglasses?

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Have your shirtmaker make them - Sean O'Flynn is doing me a couple at the moment (including a beautiful Loro Piana cotton-linen blend). No reason to accept less than perfect fit just because it is a more casual shirt

tsherry

Reaction score
Ben Silver has one called the Charleston shirt that is pretty flexible (untucked with shorts, or with slacks and even a jacket). Floppy collar though, which is fine on it's own, but some might not like with a jacked.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Any suggestions for low-end linen shirts? I know Old Navy shirts have been recommended here in the past, but according to their website they currently only carry cotton/linen blends. Banana Republic has 100% linen, although not slim fit, they might be worth checking out at the end of the season.

I dig those cotton-linen shirts for casual wear. Prefer them to my linen shirts from much nicer makers. They're cool but the cotton keeps them from wrinkling so terribly. The effect is more rumpled and less creased.

They also look a little rugged, which I like. It's possible for high-end linen to look a little too prim.

Some of J. Crew's linen shirts aren't bad, but I don't like them as well as Old Navy's.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M made some excellent linen shirts last year - they were on sale near the end for $20 each.

timeless

Reaction score
I love the look of a linen shirt in the summer...especially worn out with the sleeves rolled up...always seems to have a casual elegance about it...particularly the washed linens...i do have a few though that are pretty scratchy...any suggestions on how to soften the fabric?

manofstyle

Reaction score
BTW should mention, I had some linen shirts made out over in HK, close fitting, big spread collars etc.

Heavy linen, and were not very cool to wear. They fit too close and the big collars felt 'constructive' somehow. A lesson for me that bespoke can be worse than RTW.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by timeless
I love the look of a linen shirt in the summer...especially worn out with the sleeves rolled up...always seems to have a casual elegance about it...particularly the washed linens...i do have a few though that are pretty scratchy...any suggestions on how to soften the fabric?

Wash it a bunch of times?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys - For those of you that have good value linen blend shirts from Old Navy, J. Crew, etc, can they be washed in the machine and then put in the dryer or hung out to dry without heavy wrinkling? I'm all about low maintenance when it comes to shirts. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Old Navy cotton-linen ones can. Just take 'em out when they're damp and hang to dry. Mine don't even need ironing -- they're slightly rumpled, but in a good way. If they get too wrinkled, I just give them a spritz with a water bottle. (Bear in mind, I bought most of mine a couple summers ago. I bought one of this year's, but haven't worn/washed it yet. But it looks pretty much the same.)

My J. Crew linen shirts are wrinklier out of the wash, but they're also pure linen, IIRC.

Overall, I much prefer the Old Navy cotton-linen shirts to any of the other lower-end options.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i recently acquired a very nice Borrelli linen shirt. it's for sale now but i probably will end up keeping it. the linen is very light but it does wrinkle easily. beautiful beautiful shirt though
drool.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads