• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light, cool summer shoes?

Borky

Reaction score
My feet get really hot wearing JPs or Vans all the time, and the temperature is only getting higher here. I don't know what kind of shoes or sneakers to get to wear with denim or (rarely) shorts. Just what is well ventilating and doesn't trap as much heat?

Please do not say sandals or flips flops, I detest thee.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
perforated or woven shoes. i know BB has some. they won't work well with shorts, unless you can find them in a light slip on style.

seanchai

Reaction score
The Modern Amusement x Sperry Topsider is pretty good, and last year's stock is like $70 at Zappos. They hold up REALLY well... I wore mine across three countries last summer and they still look like new. They stink like **** (because I don't wear socks), but they look new.

hollaforadolla

Reaction score
vans maderas are probably the thinnest shoes ive ever tried on. you can literally feel every gust of wind that comes your way through your toes. the sole is also a nice wool composite material or something like that which is nice on your feet. its designed to be worn sockless. too bad they look like uggs. http://www.oipolloi.com/store/Spring...White-261.html these are nice too and have ventilation in the sole

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borky
What exactly are these and why are they so cheap?

they're just old style canvas sneakers. they're cheap because they're a plain canvas glued to some sort of rubber sole. almost identical to low cut chucks, without much adornation.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My feet get really hot wearing JPs or Vans all the time, and the temperature is only getting higher here. I don't know what kind of shoes or sneakers to get to wear with denim or (rarely) shorts. Just what is well ventilating and doesn't trap as much heat?

Please do not say sandals or flips flops, I detest thee.

I have a pair of canvas Dries Van Notten in size US 8 1/2

Borky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hollaforadolla
vans maderas are probably the thinnest shoes ive ever tried on. you can literally feel every gust of wind that comes your way through your toes. the sole is also a nice wool composite material or something like that which is nice on your feet. its designed to be worn sockless. too bad they look like uggs.

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/Spring...White-261.html these are nice too and have ventilation in the sole

What uggs do they look like? They have a hemp sole, not rubber or whatever.

I think I might try some of those spring courts, but they're out of my size in the G2. How does the G1 compare? It looks pretty much the same.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am in the same predicament.... i found at a surf shop these shoes called sanuk sidewalk surfers.. www.sanuk.com.... very comfortable i ordered a pair of vagabonds in khaki and navy, tryin to decide b/w the two http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5024369 and they also have some drifters that are more comfortable than the vagabonds but are a big goofy looking and paisanos which are ok too... what do you guys think of those? they also make nice flip flops too

hollaforadolla

Reaction score
What uggs do they look like? They have a hemp sole, not rubber or whatever.

I think I might try some of those spring courts, but they're out of my size in the G2. How does the G1 compare? It looks pretty much the same.

the G1 is the newly reissued model. If you look very carefully, the front of the shoe is different. I asked the same question and this is the answer I got from oipolloi:

"The difference between the G1 and 2 is that the G2 has been around for years and the G1 was only recently reissued, it's an earlier model and a lot harder to get hold of. Visually, they're very similar but the G1 has a slightly higher toe but also has a slightly lower and narrower looking heel."

The maderas look like uggs when you wear them and look down. The way the toe part of the shoe slopes down to meet the sole and the ugg like colors have made the shoe essentially look like uggs.

And pimsoles from whiteplimsolls.com are not like low top chucks. I would not recommend walking any long distance in those as your feet will remind you of the pain you caused it.. the sole is just a flat piece of rubber and doesnt have the support chucks do. Chucks can absorb some short of shock when you jump.. these cant.

hamm23

Reaction score
good question OP, Im in a summer shoe slump and Im not sure what to get also. I do have some Sperry's though and I highly recommend them.

Borky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamm23
good question OP, Im in a summer shoe slump and Im not sure what to get also. I do have some Sperry's though and I highly recommend them.
Boat shoes? I'm hesitant since it's the big thing around here with asshole college frat guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads