• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about "pull".

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-I think it's silly on a number of levels to be too critical of the fit of jackets being modeled on a runway.

-The first few hacket jackets don't look terrible (pull-wise anyways), and the pull might even be due to movement.

-I'd probably take a moderate amount of pull over just about any other flaw in a jacket.

-Is it possible to get a pull-like effect from wide hips?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
-Is it possible to get a pull-like effect from wide hips?

If by "pull-like effect" you mean "pulling," then yes.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am fairly top heavy and broad shouldered for my legs and height so I feel a bit of pull looks good on my jackets. It gives a more slimming effect than drapey. Whenever something drapes too much it makes the top of my body look way too big, which I don't like. If my trousers are made to accomodate the drapey top they will be rather wide legged and it just looks bad. I only wear MTM suits, but I am wondering if full on bespoke can actually look drapey but proportioned as well?

Martin Stall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martin Stall
Pull = spalla camicia.

As pointed out by a tailor friend of mine, one who has a brain even more warped than mine, for which I am of course very jealous, this above post seems to indicate that I don't know what a spalla camicia is.
I must admit that I've never seen one in the wild. I've seen loads of badly set in sleeves and I've even tried my hand at it sometimes.

What I meant with: pull = spalla camicia, is simply that it ain't right and it tugs not only at the button and the sleevehead, it does so also at the very strings that hold the universe together.

There. I'm sure this makes things a lot clearer.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As pointed out by a tailor friend of mine, one who has a brain even more warped than mine, for which I am of course very jealous, this above post seems to indicate that I don't know what a spalla camicia is.
I must admit that I've never seen one in the wild. I've seen loads of badly set in sleeves and I've even tried my hand at it sometimes.

What I meant with: pull = spalla camicia, is simply that it ain't right and it tugs not only at the button and the sleevehead, it does so also at the very strings that hold the universe together.

There. I'm sure this makes things a lot clearer.

not the best pic, but what do you mean?

027.jpg

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As pointed out by a tailor friend of mine, one who has a brain even more warped than mine, for which I am of course very jealous, this above post seems to indicate that I don't know what a spalla camicia is. I must admit that I've never seen one in the wild. I've seen loads of badly set in sleeves and I've even tried my hand at it sometimes. What I meant with: pull = spalla camicia, is simply that it ain't right and it tugs not only at the button and the sleevehead, it does so also at the very strings that hold the universe together. There. I'm sure this makes things a lot clearer.
My own tailor refuses to acknowledge the Spalla Camcia shirt sleeve thing. As he says he's a tailor not a shirtmaker.

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
not the best pic, but what do you mean?

027.jpg

Although I imagine it might be a bit lurid in real life, that's a beautiful tweed on the World Wide Web.

Lovely shoulder either way.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
This is neither stiff nor boxy.

3304454333_e03e55f559.jpg

Let me know where this will be donated when you're done wearing it in about 5 years. I'll try to move up to a size 38 by then.
smile.gif

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Let me know where this will be donated when you're done wearing it in about 5 years. I'll try to move up to a size 38 by then.
smile.gif

You know, I don't think I've ever worn it.....

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought you were going to attemp another drape experiment incorporating some of the things you learned from tearing down that A&S?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I thought you were going to attemp another drape experiment incorporating some of the things you learned from tearing down that A&S?

I was. Too bad I didn't think about it- I just made up a nice DB that might have worked well as a draped model. Oh well. I just received some Minnis flannel that I won't need for a while so have time to play around with it; maybe I'll ruin that one with some drape.
devil.gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite a shame. If you alter it to a 36S, I'll figure a way to give you a tax receipt for charitable donation.
laugh.gif

I was. Too bad I didn't think about it- I just made up a nice DB that might have worked well as a draped model. Oh well. I just received some Minnis flannel that I won't need for a while so have time to play around with it; maybe I'll ruin that one with some drape.
devil.gif

I don't think we've seen a DB from you yet. Will you post it on your blog?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads