• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about "pull".

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the Thom Browne thread, I received a verbal thrashing for opining that there isn't anything wrong with a bit of pull on the front of the jacket.

In typical forvmite, lemming fashion, I was told how this was contrary to every rule of men's dress, how it shortens a man, how it looks feminine, etc etc etc blah blah blah yawwwwwwn.

Anyway, I was perusing Sartorially Inclined and came across these pics of Hackett's 2010 spring/summer stuff:

http://sartoriallyinclined.blogspot....t-ss-2010.html

Note: every last jacket shows a bit of pull (or a lot of pull). Every last one.

Now then, can we talk about pull? Is pull utterly verboten? Really? Even if it looks kind of sexy and imperfect?

I think it can work. Yeah, go ahead. Bring on the next shitstorm.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you show us pics of runway models in overly tight jackets to suggest that that amount of pulling is acceptable?

hamish5178

Reaction score
First off, they are all moving, probably in some sort of unnatural way. Second, those jackets all look as if they are too small! Why would you want something to pull? It's uncomfortable.

And what's this about women looking good in things that pull? That rarely happens because so much of women's clothing is stretchy, and when it does, they look fat!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think Hackett=TB, Hackett's models are moving, TB was standing still. Anyway, there really shouldn't be any pulling in a classic menswear coat/suit. Notice I said classic, if you care to be more fashion forward, a purposely tighter fit is fine, but it's not proper fit in the scheme of a classic coat. Also, the whole ensemble needs to be on the tight side, in my opinion, for it to work. You can get a very waist supressed look without any pulling.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Like anything, if it looks deliberate, sometimes it can work. At least if you like the look.

Unintentional pulling, the sort that led to the formulation of the "rule," rarely looks good, especially on a younger guy. On older guy who has gained some girth over the years, it can be kinda charming.

It's all about context. Though I have to say, many of the guys who think they're pulling it off leave me unconvinced. Such is personal taste.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As with so many things, it depends on context. The runway pics are obviously excessive for most situations, so probably not a great example. A little bit of pull isn't necessarily bad though, at least not in my opinion. Others may feel differently I suppose.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
None of those pics look good. They look ridiculous, like they've been given clothing that doesn't fit them.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by z7f9q
As with so many things, it depends on context. The runway pics are obviously excessive for most situations, so probably not a great example. A little bit of pull isn't necessarily bad though, at least not in my opinion. Others may feel differently I suppose.

To me "a little bit of pull is a good thing" is comparable to "a little bit of hem under your shoe is a good thing."

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
To me "a little bit of pull is a good thing" is comparable to "a little bit of hem under your shoe is a good thing."

I'm not aware of many people in favour of the latter, but I see your point.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"On older guy who has gained some girth over the years, it can be kinda charming."

@ Doc, I'm intrigued that you think "pull" on an older gent can look charming - when I look at Lino's DB's on thesartorialist, I see a little pull around the gut and think "Sheesh - lots of cigarettes, good food, and good wine do NOT do a body good." LOL.

I still think the guy is stylish as hell, but I find "pull" to work better on a young, fit guy with a small waist, and not so much on an older guy who's gotten a bit sloppy over the years.

But I think your take is an interesting one.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*hugs Svenn*

(no ****)

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I don't think Hackett=TB, Hackett's models are moving, TB was standing still. Anyway, there really shouldn't be any pulling in a classic menswear coat/suit. Notice I said classic, if you care to be more fashion forward, a purposely tighter fit is fine, but it's not proper fit in the scheme of a classic coat. Also, the whole ensemble needs to be on the tight side, in my opinion, for it to work. You can get a very waist supressed look without any pulling.

exactly.

BTW, the hackett pics are really not attractive. what's up with those mega-flared quarters? especially when combined with excess length, it looks frankly odd. the one in the second picture -- if you made it black -- could almost double as a magician's coat. all that's missing is a tophat and a bunny rabbit.

and frumpy, high-waisted pants with short cuffs on wide-hipped models are about as unflattering as you can get. see pic #3.

one gold star for the way model #1 carries off the pink pant though.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread was about pulling? This is disappointing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads