• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about "pull".

Martin Stall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
It's probably too late for an earnest, non-SF inside joke or hot chick picture reply, but he's mine.

Many of my jackets pull, nothing major, but I notice it.

I think it's due equally to my big hips and thighs and my somewhat s-shaped posture.

It drives me crazy, but I buy my jackets off the rack.
So it's either slight pulling and a good fit everywhere else, or no pull but huge in the chest, shoulders and waist.

I'd say that it's the right way to go, if bespoke isn't available to you.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
It's probably too late for an earnest, non-SF inside joke or hot chick picture reply, but he's mine.

Many of my jackets pull, nothing major, but I notice it.

I think it's due equally to my big hips and thighs and my somewhat s-shaped posture.

It drives me crazy, but I buy my jackets off the rack.
So it's either slight pulling and a good fit everywhere else, or no pull but huge in the chest, shoulders and waist.

Go for the slight pull in front and good fit elsewhere. Since I started lifting weights more, I noticed the same thing - my friends who lift weights and buy OTR suits are constantly going a full size up and then having a tailor hack the suit up beyond repair - looks awful. And note that the pants are a full size up (2 inches more), too, so you start getting MC Hammer pants effect. If you're going OTR, wear your size and live with the little bit of pull or have a tailor carefully let out the sides a bit - always a better bet.

tailorgod

Reaction score
Sadly, with the latest "fashion" of cutting coats, men with a stronger chest (or waist or hips) don't have too many options left but leaving their coats unbuttoned.
It seems that almost all RTW clothes nowadays are cut for stick-like guys.

But, there is hope! Somewhere on the internet fashion fora is a man who knows all about tailoring or at least enough to instruct his alteration tailor how to let out the chest and length of a RTW coat.
worship.gif

Martin Stall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tailorgod
Sadly, with the latest "fashion" of cutting coats, men with a stronger chest (or waist or hips) don't have too many options left but leaving their coats unbuttoned.
It seems that almost all RTW clothes nowadays are cut for stick-like guys.

But, there is hope! Somewhere on the internet fashion fora is a man who knows all about tailoring or at least enough to instruct his alteration tailor how to let out the chest and length of a RTW coat.
worship.gif

You wouldn't say....

I just hope his tailor doesn't fire him
wink.gif

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again, the "push"/"pull" contrast highlighted handsomely...

motivator_pushup_brasashx1.jpeg

tailorgod

Reaction score
I think I just found a solution to stop wars (drape and more serious ones): Show some "tatties"!
laugh.gif

Back on the subject of "pull" (and combining it with the peacemaker): Here you see the result of way too much pull!

nipplegate9858598.jpg

tailorgod

Reaction score
I think this is the sort of "pull" at the button Manton was writing about?

1427.jpg

And yes, it's difficult to get it right.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Let's talk about "push".
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Montauk

Reaction score

1427.jpg

That's the stuff. Obviously not to everybody's taste, but a far cry from the trendy slimfit pull people seem to be talking about with such disdain.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1427.jpg

I guess that's less to do with the jacket being too small, as with bad pulling, and more simply the contour produced by quite extreme waist supression?

tailorgod

Reaction score
This is an original 30's suit and it has indeed some waist suppression.
According to my cutting manuals there were different levels of waist suppression, but still, there is only so much you can take out before it gets ugly.

The catwalk models are very skinny and despite showing a sixpack they have a rather relaxed posture. They arch the back, which influences the balance. In this case the back of the coat gets too short and causes some of the pull at the closing button.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I guess that's less to do with the jacket being too small, as with bad pulling, and more simply the contour produced by quite extreme waist supression?

.. or pinning at the back for effect, surely?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig

Comes up all the time when novices ask how they can get "that GQ look."

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig

Could be...but since it's a vintage suit displayed for, presumably, technical and/or historical study, I would've thought it more likely that it's displayed 'as is'. It's not exactly a GQ cover-shoot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads