• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Weird. That's never happened to me. Have you tried pushing harder? If you can get some dark roasted beans (eg. Peet's), they will feel much easier to grind. That may be a way to gauge how much force to use on the handle.
Also backing off on the grind size will make it easier to crank.

Well, I need it relatively fine for the aeropress. Its hard to find whole bean coffee in the stores out here. There's only one variety that they source. Maybe once I get more into actual Mexico. I press the **** out of it but it keeps getting stuck. Then I end up tightening the gear because its turning without grinding.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've grown tired of my Aeropress. I saw a nice Breville espresso machine at the local thrift store that looks brand new. Or, I might just switch to pourover and get a Hario cone and kettle. Thoughts?

The Hario slim grinder is a flaming *************.

Is this the hand crank one?

AY, I picked up the Indian Peaberry. Good call, thanks. It hit all the right flavour notes for me. Also nice to buy an actual pound of coffee.

lefty

I'm a big fan of peaberries. They were traditionally discarded as underdeveloped beans, until someone realized that they make a very nice, mild cup of coffee.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was driving through some hippie town near me and stopped for a coffee. Picked up a pound of just roasted Bali Blue Moon. I loved Balinese coffee when I was there so I have high hopes.

lefty

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get the breville. I used one a few times. Really liked it. It's also very beautiful

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously tempted to. Though, there seem to be several reviews on Amazon in which people complain about the model breaking after just a few uses (but also many people who are happy with it). I don't know that potential costly espresso machine repairs work well toward my plan of simplifying my life, though :embar:

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The one ay posted is the one I was talking about. That machine is awesome although marsupialedly expensive. Rather have a used Silvia and money for a grinder.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wha? i much prefer the cleaner cup of an aeropress. i like a little citric acid in my coffee and you dont really get to taste that in a french press. my bodum is pretty much used only for cold brew now. weak and tepid seems like too much water added. try using more coffee. a scale really helps.

also imo an aeropress so much less work than a french press cuz you dont really have to clean it. just pop the puck of grinds out into the garbage where as with a french press you have to scoop the grinds out and then wash it out and then wait for the sink drain to drain and then try and get all those grinds out into the garbage.

its so easy. boil water. grind coffee. wash filter. add filter. add coffee. add water. wait. stir. wait. press. voila awesome coffee. like how can it get easier than that. also the plastic seems to hold heat better than the glass walls of a bodum press.

If you don't mind, what's your process for cold brew? Most methods I've tried have low exteacton and lose most flavor.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will admit I'm not a cold brew expert. I do the least effort possible. Usually 200 g or a little more coffee to 1 l water. Brewed hot and stuck in fridge. Dilute with ice and water as necessary. I have been thinking about trying room temperature brewing but ever since this cheap awesome coffee shop opened up right on the way to school I've stopped trying.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a breville years ago before I knew better. It only had one boiler and presurized portafilters. The dual boiler one without the pressurized porta filters is probably pretty good, you just want to make sure you get a good grinder that can grind fine enough or espresso, which for cheap can be challenging.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Peets Coffee = 1%

LL

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a breville years ago before I knew better. It only had one boiler and presurized portafilters. The dual boiler one without the pressurized porta filters is probably pretty good, you just want to make sure you get a good grinder that can grind fine enough or espresso, which for cheap can be challenging.

I'd stress for the grinder that it's not necessarily fineness, but consistency of the grind that one should focus on. Just get a Rancilio Rocky as a starter grinder - be sure to get doserless, the doser sucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads