Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Um, isn't paper filter grind supposed to be medium-grained and nowhere nearly as fine epsresso-ground coffee?

Anyway, I don't have a normed tablespoon (I think), but when I measure 1T of my espresso fine-ground coffee, it weighs about 3-4g. If I press it a little, I can nearly fit 5g on it. 1T of salt is about 15g, so that fits perfectly. Maybe they relabeled the scoop from "Salt Measuring Scoop" to "Coffee/Tea Measuring Scoop"?

I just finished my bag of Indian Monsooned Malabar. Now I'm into Fausto's Napoli. "For fans of south-Italian coffee".. damn, that stuff is strong. Too strong. Far stronger than, say, Caffè New York. It's even too strong for Cappuccos (imo). Maybe I'll try to dump the first 2-3 seconds, that probably helps.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

Based on Matt's post, my guess is that the package designer was being sloppy, and probably just Googled "1 Tbsp to grams" or something, and put the first thing that appeared without thinking about it.

Thanks for the report. It sounds like his reputation is well-deserved. One of our best new coffee shops in town is using the espresso blend from Populace, and is seemingly incapable of pulling a bad shot. So far, of the 7 or so shots I've had from at least 4 different baristas, maybe one might have been marginal (meaning less than very good), but the others have been very good, especially if you like the 3rd wave style of sweet, tangy espresso. The other shops in town either have a faceless, bland espresso, or get only about 40 percent of the shots better than below average (using Verve). They do have a Strada, but the baristas don't seem to know about its special features, so I'm blaming the beans for their success.

It may be worth checking out, since Populace in Michigan is more accessible than Wendleboe.

Another interesting revelation with this shop is how great affogato can be with the right espresso. Previously, I thought it was a waste of coffee and ice cream, but that was because I only had some done with bad restaurant espresso (ashy, bitter, overextracted crap). With an acidic espresso, the tanginess of the coffee really balances and complements the creaminess of the ice cream making something that's greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

3. rwbenjey

rwbenjey Well-Known Member

Had the opportunity to try a blend from Stumptown this morning...pretty good.

4. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

5. kronik

kronik Senior member

DC - no Stumptown or Intelligentsia near me.. who would you recommend?

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yoyooyoyoyo

there's a starbucks on m street??? that has a clover machine. every time i go to DC i make it known that i really want to go to that starbucks, but sadly things never happen the way i want it too

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

Try Counterculture, but I have to say that trying to buy "grail" coffee for a coffee person is like someone who doesn't know clothes trying to buy clothes for an SF person. They'll either know what they like already and have it, or they'll hate it.

8. DressedWell

DressedWell Active Member

What is a good grocery store coffee? I like darker roasts because they are sweet, and black without any cream or sugar. Any recommendations? I do not like folgers.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

$105? Better be able to do my taxes as well. Sounds interesting.

10. patrickBOOTH

Try Illy, or Lavazza.

11. patrickBOOTH

I was working on a project recently and I was away from my usual work coffee setup. I got a clover coffee from Starbucks every day. I thought it was pretty good. Better than the rest of the menu. The exotic single origins were not bad at all.

12. patrickBOOTH

I told my mother a long time ago to stop buying me clothes for christmas. I told her if she feels inclined, to just get me underwear. She even manages to screw that up. I mean what am I going to do with all of these thongs? :confused:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

13. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

+1

14. kronik

kronik Senior member

Yea, he drinks Wings of the Morning Kona Coffee almost exclusively.. perhaps I get him a gift card to wholelattelove and call it a day.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

The staff at Counterculture are supposed to be very good. Tell them what he likes, and maybe they can recommend something, but a gift card sounds like a better idea.