• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd stress for the grinder that it's not necessarily fineness, but consistency of the grind that one should focus on. Just get a Rancilio Rocky as a starter grinder - be sure to get doserless, the doser sucks.

Both together will do the job. ;)
You don't want a consistent coarse grind that lets your espressi splatter out in a matter of seconds.

Graef CM80 or Demoka M203 come to mind as entry level mills. I'm very happy with my Mahlkönig Vario II which I got for quite "cheap" as a bundle with my Silvia.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dual Boiler for home use? Really?

I'm not sure if it's necessary, but they have put a lot of other nice features into that machine.

Anyway, +1 on getting a good grinder for espresso. People tend to spend way more on the coffee-making machine than the grinder, when the grinder can make a much bigger difference.

I got this in the mail today:

P27620300.jpg

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, again, unless you don't use it professionally, I think a grinder for 100-200€ (like the two I just named) will definitely do the job. Other than that, it's mostly noise reduction, ceramic "grinder" and some fancy stuff like timer(s). Also more compact design, resulting in less space for old coffee grinds to settle (the Vario II has, I think, about 2g of ground coffee, which is pretty good -- some have like 5g).

As to boilers -- unless you drink cappuccinos en masse, you won't even need a heat exchanger. But dual boiler is a complete overkill for any purpose with just one brewing group. Don't you think so?
As far as I can tell, the Brevilla Dual Boiler just has all the gimmick stuff included. You can always upgrade a Silvia with a PID, pre infusion thingy (both of which aren't a must for any beginner, but probably actually unproductive), and you can use a simple timer switch. ;)

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the modified Rancilios may work fine, they look like someone's science project. The Breville has everything integrated and designed in from the factory, and is supported by the factory warranty. I think that's probably the biggest advantage. It also sounds like they really looked at the enthusiast market and gave them all the features they asked for, and that's never a bad thing.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the point is that most people don't need to modify a Rancilio in the first place. I can't get over a perception issue that I have with Breville - they make small electrics - they don't specialize in espresso.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both together will do the job. ;)
You don't want a consistent coarse grind that lets your espressi splatter out in a matter of seconds.
Graef CM80 or Demoka M203 come to mind as entry level mills. I'm very happy with my Mahlkönig Vario II which I got for quite "cheap" as a bundle with my Silvia.

yes but almost any burr grinder can grind to a fine coarseness sufficient for espresso - this isn't turkish coffee.

anyone have experience with the mazzer mini? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Rocky.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes but almost any burr grinder can grind to a fine coarseness sufficient for espresso - this isn't turkish coffee.

Which, again, is what I've tried to say. Maybe I'm just expressing myself in a weird manner.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think the point is that most people don't need to modify a Rancilio in the first place. I can't get over a perception issue that I have with Breville - they make small electrics - they don't specialize in espresso.

this is stupid. just because they dont specialize in espresso doesnt mean the machine they make is bad. also it appears you are bashing a product you've never even used. the breville double boiler has great reviews and having used it in person I honestly would love to have one.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

anyone have experience with the mazzer mini? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Rocky.

yeah but consistency in grind size isnt universal in all burr grinders

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is stupid. just because they dont specialize in espresso doesnt mean the machine they make is bad. also it appears you are bashing a product you've never even used. the breville double boiler has great reviews and having used it in person I honestly would love to have one.

I didn't bash anything - I said it's a perception issue that I have.

yeah but consistency in grind size isnt universal in all burr grinders

exactly - which is why I stressed the importance of consistency above :fistbump:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems weird that on the one hand you want a Nespresso machine where you absolutely don't have to do anything at all and on the other hand a machine with all the gimmick stuff out there that allows you to enormously personalize your machine. :p

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:p. they both have their pros and cons

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nah. i disagree. i dont always have time to fiddle with everything

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads