• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The orphan espresso people were tired of modding skertons and made their own grinders. Kind of expensive but reviews are glowing. Tempted to buy one myself

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well the chemex isn't a pressurized method like the aeropress. FP is, so I would say the aero is closer in profile to FP, but without the sediment. Pressurized methods highlight acidity so in that respect I would disagree with the Clever being closer to FP. Furthermore, the clever uses a paper filter, which alters taste to some degree, which he might not be used to and is a non-pressurized method.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do pressurized methods really highlight more acidity? I've found chemexes to be more acidic than aeropresses and siphons

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, they do. As for chemex being more acidic, it could have just been the beans you've had in it, or perhaps the lack of sediment and lower body you perceive as brightness due to acidity.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're probably right. To me, an AeroPress coffee tastes very "clean"--pretty much the exact opposite of a FP.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually like AY's method of making coffee. It makes a whole lot of sense. @A Y can you share it here in a bit more detail? I believe it has to do with just putting your grinds in an insulated thermos and pouring the just under boiling water into it and then waiting and straining it out. Very little heat loss doing it this way. Very Clover, like.

Last edited:

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PB, why is chemex a pain? Aren't both devices sort of customizable, with a million ways to vary things (I guess with AP you can control contact time better, but with Chemex you can play with saturation, temperatures, blooming and all those things as well) I guess I want something that will allow me to try and understand different flavor profiles of coffees better, in a somewhat consistent manner, but where I can make some adjustments if needed to get more out of a different bean. I know that probably doesn't help. I was going to go AP, but I usually am not a big fan of wateriness, if that makes sense.. I kind of like body, although FP may be a bit more on the over-bodied side.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you don't like wateriness don't use a Chemex. IMO, they produce too thin of a cup and you can't let the coffee brew optimally, same goes for normal pour over. Too little contact time, you're going to have to dose up like crazy. If I were you I would either stick to FP, or go aero.

Last edited:

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oooh, here is another question, will my Skerton grinds be more consistent for one method over the other?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that I do already have and use the FP, so maybe i should go the opposite direction so I taste both ways where the methods isn't too close??

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically, if AP only gives me no sediment on the bottom over FP, then maybe I should try something else, no?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oooh, here is another question, will my Skerton grinds be more consistent for one method over the other?

Skerton is made to grind very fine for espresso use, which it is good at. It is not designed to do grinds associated with immersion brewing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Basically, if AP only gives me no sediment on the bottom over FP, then maybe I should try something else, no?

I don't understand your question. Aero is essentially going to give you a cleaner, slightly brighter cup than FP. Why do you want to move away from the FP to begin with?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually like AY's method of making coffee. It makes a whole lot of sense. @A Y can you share it here in a bit more detail? I believe it has to do with just putting your grinds in an insulated thermos and pouring the just under boiling water into it and then waiting and straining it out. Very little heat loss doing it this way. Very Clover, like.

He basically prepares a CCD. Since the CCD isn't well insulated, he relocates the steeping to the Espro Press (insulated). Obviously, one doesn't need a CCD anymore since the ability to hold the water isn't required anymore.

It tastes far different than the regular CCD. Not only due to the heat loss. As I've said before, if you let the coffee steep in the CCD for three minutes, it takes about 1 minute to drain. If I relocate the three minutes of steeping to the Espro Press, then pour it into the CCD and immediately drain it, it takes 3-5 minutes. (I suppose it's due to the fact that the particles already "settle down" when you let it steep in the filter, among other reasons)

I like it. For the past month or so I've only been using the Espro Press though because the beans I currently use work best in it, imo.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads