• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

joshuadowen

Reaction score
No idea. I didn't even know they owned Caribou.

Stumptown is also expanding into LA.

Yeah, both Peet's and Caribou were bought by a German PE firm. I think the plan is to convert all of the Caribou properties into Peets. Also, for those who didn't think coffee retail was a good investment, Caribou sold for $340 million.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, both Peet's and Caribou were bought by a German PE firm. I think the plan is to convert all of the Caribou properties into Peets. Also, for those who didn't think coffee retail was a good investment, Caribou sold for $340 million. 

That's only 33 Instagram cents. :)

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Was at whole foods today and they carry the basic Peet's stuff, but none of the special roasts. Ended up buying some dumb **** I'll probably hate.

lefty

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Toms Coffee yet? I would punch its face if it had one, but I'm still curious about it.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Toms Coffee yet? I would punch its face if it had one, but I'm still curious about it.

I'm sure it'll be fine. I think it was a mistake not to give it its own brand though - the association between throw-away footwear and specialty coffee probably doesn't work in their favor.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I fear I may have bought Tom's coffee. It's the shoe company?

Phew, just checked - something called Cafe Grumpy. I'm sure it will suck.

pB, the Peet's stores really reek of burnt coffee. It's the reason I can't go into a SBs. I went fishing last week with a guy who services Clover machines in NYC. Still haven't tried one though.

lefty

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the shoe company (which also does good by giving away something to a 3rd world country for every thing you buy from them), but they make the ugliest-ass shoes ever, and their logo design is really terrible.

Anyway, I'm curious about the coffee because they've got an experienced roaster on board, and they're selling it for much cheaper than most other specialty coffee. Whole Foods just started carrying them.

Last edited:

WiredandTired

Reaction score
What about cafe grumpy?

I tried them from being gifted a set of el Salvador. The quality was very good.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I fear I may have bought Tom's coffee. It's the shoe company?

Phew, just checked - something called Cafe Grumpy. I'm sure it will suck.

pB, the Peet's stores really reek of burnt coffee. It's the reason I can't go into a SBs. I went fishing last week with a guy who services Clover machines in NYC. Still haven't tried one though.

lefty
Grumpy's ok.

I only buy Starbucks if they have the clover. Great system and great reserves.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, this turned out to be an amazing thread. Learned so much.

So, I'm facing an existential crisis and need input.

Aeropress or chemex?

I've been using Bodium FP + Skerton.

Thoughts?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chemex makes great coffee, but it is a royal pain **********, imo. Areopress is much more consistent and produces a great cup. I'd personally invest in a better grinder than a Skerton, which are kind of wobbly.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AeroPress and Chemex make very different coffee, imo. You should be able to answer that question for yourself--just try both somewhere. I'd recommend the Clever Coffee Dripper since I believe it's a smoother transition from FP.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads