Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

What I had at #7 was worth it but check out the menu and you can decide. Most eccentric combinations for sandwiches but they work. Problem is only 3 people can actually eat there due to the confines of the space, so you have to take it with you and eat elsewhere. Lots go to the park down the street.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

ask them when their shipments come in. should be able to get fresher beans.

:) gimme is my favorite as well. they have a relatively new bean that's quite delicious

you should also try and pour a controlled stream in circles to let the coffee bloom for 30 secondsish before you pour the rest of the water in. that might help a little.

4. A Y

A Y Senior member

Bitter is usually a sign of overextraction. You can solve it in one (or some combination) of these ways:

1. Lower water temperature
    2. Stir less
    3. Coarser grind
    4. Shorter steep time

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

4minutes isn't the law. I usually do 3min30sec for a french press (maybe 4 if i'm making it really full).

Usually the issue is using too hot of water. Most every coffee i drink out and about is burnt to shit from using too hot of water.

6. patrickBOOTH

It is probably more than when you get coffee out it is brewed and sits on a burner, or hot plate to keep it warm. It generally burns already made coffee.

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Here in China we take our coffee very seriously.
    [​IMG]
    ...and always insist on the best.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

This is one of my favorite coffee blogs:

http://caffeinatedcalm.blogspot.com/

He's sometimes curmudgeonly, but it seems to come from a very informed perspective and a real love of coffee. And it's always nice to get a counterpoint to the 3rd wave coffee geekery that pervades many of the boutique brands today

For example, there are lots of interesting stories in this post:

http://caffeinatedcalm.blogspot.com/2011/11/retail-coffee-revival-and-some-ancient.html

Here's one where he's hating on Intelligentsia and another 3rd wave place in LA:

http://caffeinatedcalm.blogspot.com/2011/11/luddite-regression-brief-taste-of-la.html

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Last paragraph is pretty bang on. I can't stomach the coffee culture in SF and only drink in my home.

lefty

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

10. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

Used to be that a mug of regular dark French roast would get me pretty wired up but now I have to tell them to add a shot of espresso. Caffeine tolerance really does build up quickly. I try to keep it under control by not ingesting any caffeine over the weekend and it kinda works I guess.

And don't get me started on the heartburn, I am totally regretting eating that slice of pizza this morning. Shit is killing me.

11. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, we have a Blue Bottle in Williamsburg now where they do that whole pourover for each customer. Not only do I not like pourover (filters out too much flavor) the environment kind of sucks. Like you said the paragraph is bang on. It is like everybody in there is so anti-social. I much prefer the Stumptown bean cafes that make a shit load of French Press coffee, pour it into an insulated vat and serve. Also, blue bottle I feel over-roasts their beans making them all taste, more or less the same. They also updose like crazy. Might be the reason why everything is so damn expensive there. The must make killer profits roasting, serving and pocketing all of the extra dough.

Yeah, I eat very little during the day at work, but drink a lot of coffee. There is nothing like being hungry and caffeinated with an ulcer.

Thanks for those blogs AY!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

12. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Recently sprung for a bag of Heartbreaker Espresso blend from Cafe Grumpy in Chelsea. At $16 for twelve ounces, way more expensive than my usual $5 at Porto Rico but well worth it. Amazing coffee, brewed it this morning in the Hario.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. policenauts

policenauts Member

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

edit: this is in response to Axelman 17's post above.

I'm curious what kind of grinder you use --- is it a whirly-blade design? The ground sizes don't look very uniform, and that can do bad things to your coffee.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

15. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member