Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I have been drinking New Orleans styled coffee, with chicory in it. The quality is lacking but I like the flavor.

2. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

My grandfather drank this all the time. I enjoy it every now and then after large dinners. It's great for mixing too.

3. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Just found this thread and was looking for an espresso recommendation. I have an old Gaggia machine and Rocky grinder and drink a double every morning. I usually go thru a 1/2 lb of beans every two weeks, which I pick up from Blue Bottle (usually 17ft ceiling or Hayes Valley) on my way to work. I've never ordered beans online but looking to try something new. Any suggestions?

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would definitely try Gimme Coffee's Leftist blend. My favorite espresso.

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

There are lots of good espresso blends out there. What do you taste in the Blue Bottle, and what different things are you looking for?

I got a half-pound of Peet's Arabian Mocha Sanani recently, and it is really remarkable. For one, it's readily available to most people in the US, and two, it's a really wonderful coffee. The roast is still Peet's in that it's dark, but not as dark as some of their other offerings. The most remarkable thing about this bean is its smoothness and thick body. I don't think I've had a heavier feeling coffee from an Aeropress with a paper filter --- that setup is somewhat notorious for producing really light coffee that some people think is "weak." The thing I'm still working on is getting the flavors to stand out more without getting into overextraction. The coffee is so smooth and heavy that its flavors can be a bit suppressed. It is not bitter at all, which was the biggest surprise for me. Acidity is low.

6. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Interesting about Peet's. I work down the street from one of their main roasting sites but I'm never sure how old the beans are when in their shops. Might have to give the Arabian Mocha Sanani a try. As for the Blue Bottle espresso roasts, the ones I like are smooth and thick with hints of chocolate. I wasn't a fan of their roasts that were more citrusy if this makes sense.

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

The stores are usually restocked every week. At my local one, when I asked how old the Sanani was, they told me they just got a batch that was roasted the day before, and gave me beans from that batch --- based on how much the grinds bloom when I add water, I'd tend to believe them. The personnel at Peet's are usually pretty well-trained for a chain store.

You may actually want to try the Peet's Mocha as an espresso if you like thick and smooth. I'm a big fan of acidic and citrusy coffee, so many of my recommendations may not work for you! Sightglass in your area (they're in SoMa) may also have an espresso blend that you'll like, based on what I tasted a year or so ago.

8. patrickBOOTH

I think blue bottle over-roasts their beans.

9. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

+1, never had a coffee from them that I got excited about. Nice space in Williamsburg, though.

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

I'm curious why you guys say that BB over-roasts their beans. From a physical appearance, they are very lightly roasted, and they don't taste over-roasted.

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

Two nice short films on two NYC coffee shops:

RBC:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Abraco:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

The filmmaker has a whole series on Abraco, but I like this one best because for some reason seeing pastries being stacked is endlessly fascinating to me.

12. patrickBOOTH

Maybe it varies by location? The Billyburg one they look very dark and I feel like the taste has that sort of same "dark all over" flavor that Starbucks has.

Question for some folks here though. Does anybody know how to go about roasting your own beans? I have heard of people doing it in a pan and such, but are there any decent small roasters somebody can do in their kitchen? Where does one even source beans from for this?

13. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

I've been getting BB beans from their main roastery for years. They originally sold out of a small garage down the block from my office. Might be a location thing as my beans are not dark at all.

As for home roasting, check out Sweet Maria's here. Lots of info and they sell green beans too. I've read you can use a cheap air popcorn popper (which I actually have) to home roast. I've never been brave enough to try.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

14. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Thought I would add some pics from this morning (apologies for the iPhone pics). Here are the Blue Bottle 17 ft Ceiling beans roasted Sunday (and bought Monday) plus my daily double and home set up. Gaggia must be 6-7 years old and I should probably open it up and look at the insides. The Rocky is 5-6 years old. I use to work from my home and went to Starbucks everyday to get coffee. Realized I could make it better at home and would save $$ in the process. Now need to check out Peet's Arabian Mocha Sanani, Gimme's Leftist blend and maybe something from Verve?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. patrickBOOTH

The gaggia is probably ok, but your burrs most definitely need sharpening, or replacing at this point.