• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I've had my filtered coffee with milk, no, and I'm just going to assume that pB and lefty don't drink theirs with milk either (to each their own, obviously). I do drink cappuccini, or "flat whites", regularly though. And no, I do not believe that espresso oxidizes and turns bad in 15 seconds. If you really believe that, you shouldn't drink espressi since assuming an extraction of 25 seconds, half of the espresso already turned bad even if you rescued the espresso with milk in between five seconds after the extraction (which apparently stops the oxidization).
FWIW, I agree with you that 1cm of foam is the maximum. I prefer something in between 5mm-10mm.

I do always prepare the coffee first, then steam the milk. Why? Simple. If the milk stays put too long, milk and foam seperate. Secondly, and more importantly, I do have a Rancilio Silvia and if I heated the milk first, the process of steaming would actually heat up not the water but also the machine itself such that the espresso would "burn" if extracted shortly thereafter.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use milk.

Have now started boiling water and letting it cool down for 30 seconds or so. Not sure what the exact temp is, but the sourness has mostly gone away, but to be honest, as I switch beans every 5 days it's always a new adventure.

Prior to this I was using the 200 preset on my kettle - maybe that is too cool for winter coffee. Not really convinced my room temperature has that much of an effect.

Because I have an incredible strong sense of smell (and phantom smells) once the sourness was in my head I'm was smelling it everywhere.

I'm not discounting the fact that I may be going slowly insane.

lefty

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I measured, the temperature drops by ten degress during the three minute steep time in my CCD. If I steep in a Motta pitcher insulated with some cloth (very unhandy but I guess similar to an EsproPress for now), the temperature drop is about 3-4°C. If course, the transfering of the coffe to the filter loses about 5°C or something, but the three minute steep time is much more steady and I suppose it would be even more steady with an EsproPress (or something else that is insulated).

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't make espresso, I am making French press coffee.

Somebody in my office just today mentioned how the water has tastes strange lately. Maybe there is something to the water softness? Also, I have been noticing that in the shower it has been taking a lot more soap to get my loofah to lather, kind of like how it is at my parent's house where they have a water softener...

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the guys who like their flat whites, read under "brewing"
less time sitting in the cup... it does affect taste.

http://www.araazzurro.com/coffee_info.html

and for various coffees, various degrees of milk seperation is required to get the perfect result.
also each person will make a cup differently. a pretty latte, if oxidised. is stil just a pretty bitter latte.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Indesertum, a rosetta? fantastic!you seem to be on the right path, but if that is a latte? wrong glass, and a flat white should have less than 5 mm of thickness on the top. keep at it. here's 2, coffees. made by me. i can hear your drooling, these are flat whites. this is not my job, i just like a good coffee. P.B, the taste is "Oxydisation" as coffee oxidises in less than 15 seconds when extracted. and goes bitter. hit the milk in less than 5 to taste the difference. ****, i hate the "MYSTERY" behind a good coffee, barista's are not magicians.:satisfied: and **** the "Single origin" B.S. and "Boutique roasting" , and any other way you want to create a limp wristed attempt at a burnt coffee with a rosetta on it.and claim it's the "boutique" way, if i had a dollar for every time i heard some small shop single roast was the right way, i could put a La' marzocco in my home kitchen. hard water, soft water, filtered water, black beans, green beans, etc. oh my god. just make me a decent coffee you stretch eared , make up wearing hipster in a skinny tie!!!!!!!!:fu: aaaaaargghhhh, don't make me come over there!!!!!!!!!!!
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
Lol. Your Rosettas are pretty ******. Good thing it's not a job for you. That's not a flat white or a latte but a cappucino

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just ordered a medium-sized Espro Press.

Also, half a pound of 100% robusta espresso, because I'm curious. (India Balehonnur SLN 274 Canephora)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads