Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

wow, you really know your stuff.
    it must be said. a "Rosetta" is to latte art what a matching pocket square is to a tie.- ie: not art.
    just 2 flat whites, crema intact. no art. i straight up refuse to aknowledge a rosetta as latte art, and the hype surrounding it.

i might suggest google images for a reference to cappucino's. to build a template to work from.

if only you knew the standards of the traditional coffees, i can see you and others have much to learn.
    i am currently looking for a commercial grade machine as a new cafe will be opening in late march 2014.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Good luck with that. I just hope you won't get physically aggressive towards customers who don't down their espresso in 15 seconds. FWIW, you are kidding, aren't you? I just can't tell with you.

3. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Thanks, and no, customers can drink theirs however they like. as long as it is made correctly. the milk will always be made first. and still within the temp range so the coffee isn't cold. and milked as soon as possible. the time is actually around a minute, but every second counts. and i guess you know to prepare the milk for each coffee individually.(perhaps 2)

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Quote: We just bought a couple of Slayers for ours. They are pretty fantastic.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have dreams of opening a coffee shop. *Sigh*

6. patrickBOOTH

My coffee has tasted much better today. I am using 196 degree water and not agitating the slurry in the press as much. So I pour in the water to about 3/4 of the way, gently stir to immerse the bloom a bit more, pour the remaining in and then cap it. I began pushing the press down at about 3.5 minutes. Much better. I think I was stirring too much causing faster extraction and thus over-extracting.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

You're right rosettas aren't art. That's why they're disqualified immediately at latte art competitions.

If you have a commercial machine you can steam milk and pull the espresso at the same time since it will probably be a double boiler. And duh obviously you steam milk individually. Only ignorant coffee shops like pretty much every single coffee shop have a double pitcher for steaming two at a time. And what does every single espresso book know with their retarded notion of splitting the steamed milk between two pitchers to make two cappucinos at the same time

Real talk good luck with your cafe tho. Business is tough out there

8. patrickBOOTH

Oh fuck you ninnies and your milk.

9. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

10. patrickBOOTH

I used to not like counter culture coffee, but they have stepped it up recently. Some fantastic offerings lately.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I really like heart roasters out of Portland Oregon. The espresso blend is fantastic.

12. patrickBOOTH

I had some fantastic espresso in Seattle. Roasters I never heard of. Much wider variety of styles there than in New York.

13. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

I have to agree, I didn't like CCC for a while, but picked up that bag on a whim and my fucking god. They got it back.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

BTW, I've just read that if you split from one pitcher to the other, don't pour with the spout. Pour over the "side". That way, you will split equal parts of milk and froth (in case they have already begun to seperate, which they do pretty much immediately after steaming). When you split with the spout, you'll get relatively more froth than milk. So you can just pour the milk back and forth twice or so if it seperated too much. Works like a charm.

15. A Y

A Y Senior member