1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lesser Known Japanese Denim Brands

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by morse9443, May 9, 2008.

1. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Takumi on BiG is a brand I don't hear much of, certainly not as much as other brands. Judging by the pics, I would love a pair if only I could get in on the 50% sale that BiG sometimes has on them.

tried them on @American Rag Cie in La Brea [LA] cuz they were like 70% off(?). denim looks decent, but fit was not good [on me, ei]. maybe that's why they're not selling.

2. happy hooligan

happy hooligan Senior member

I picked these up a few weeks ago at one of those hollywood Movie clothing stores. Warner Bros had them... Bartack by System U

Looks like never washed raw too... my size too....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. onion

onion Senior member

Based on Lightning Magazine, I'd Robokop some Eight-G or Tabloid News jeans immediately if I could just find them. Both had the best fading of all the jeans featured in Lightning Magazine Indigo Masters (and there's a ton).

There was also an ad in it for a pair of 17.5oz super streaky Eight-G denim, that I would kill for. I emailed them once about it, but never got a response. I'm thinking maybe they don't speak English, and couldn't read my email. [​IMG]

Using this new Japanese translator thing I found on SZ (which is awesome btw, link), I found pictures of the jeans I was talking about. (Quite easily in fact)

Anyways, here is a similar model, which is 19oz denim dyed with natural indigo. Unfortunately, they retail for around $550.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^ yup, saw a well worn pair on Lightning, too. seems similar weave w/purple selvedge as Oni Shoai and KMW AWA . pretty cool!

5. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

Got my Momotaro's. Heck they're tight. Mainly because all the measurements on Blue in Green's website were out by 1". But they're not so tight they won't stretch (hopefully). I know the pics look retarded, but I took them to ask about fit... So there are a variety of poses for you to enjoy. Each less natural than the last [​IMG] [​IMG] And yes! I got the pink inseam stitching! So pleased. The denim is so stiff. Getting the jeans to soften up and stretch is going to kill me. Also, the tag on the inside ammused me. It reads as follows: "It will be Okayama if it's called Momotaro. It will be Momotaro if it's called Okayama. It will be Okayama if it's called jeans. It will be jeans if it's called Momotaro."

6. iwhelan

iwhelan Senior member

Those are definitely tighter than my 0201s were when I bought them, but I think the 0701 is supposed to be tighter. Have you soaked these? These will definitely stretch a bit but not as much as APC or Nudie. I did two soaks so far, one warm and one hot, which did shrink them a bit each time, but they stretched out again horizontally which is good, but stayed shrunken vertically, which was what I wanted.

They are very very stiff, but after the two soaks have softened up a bit. They are still tough but just not as bad. Very comfortable.

If you soak them, you'll definitely see a lot of starch come out.

In the end, I guess you'll have to decide if you think they'll stretch enough to fit you the way you want. If they will need to stretch just a little for this to happen, then keep them but if you think they'll need a lot of stretching, you may need to go up a size.

-Ian

Got my Momotaro's. Heck they're tight. Mainly because all the measurements on Blue in Green's website were out by 1". But they're not so tight they won't stretch (hopefully).

I know the pics look retarded, but I took them to ask about fit... So there are a variety of poses for you to enjoy. Each less natural than the last [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes! I got the pink inseam stitching! So pleased.

The denim is so stiff. Getting the jeans to soften up and stretch is going to kill me.

Also, the tag on the inside ammused me. It reads as follows:
    "It will be Okayama if it's called Momotaro.
    It will be Momotaro if it's called Okayama.
    It will be Okayama if it's called jeans.
    It will be jeans if it's called Momotaro."

7. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

Bear in mind I'm a big guy (6'8") and my thighs are about 25" in circumference (cyclist). So yea... They're tight on me [​IMG]. The average person probably would see them as more of a slim classic fit rather than skinny. My shoes are about 14"/36cm long as a point of reference. I want them to be about 0.5" bigger in the thighs than they are now (pre-soak). It's going to be no easy task. I plan to wear them super hard for about a week before doing a cold soak. Then wearing them hard again. I've been stretching, squating and generally being rather mobile in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways all day and I'm noticing a small difference already. I can now button them up quite easily(ish) and sit down without breaking my stomach (if that were possible). Are there any problems with not soaking them straight up? It's a bit unorthodox, but I couldn't see any disadvantages besides the stiffness of the jeans and possible indigo stains. If I soaked them right now they'd be lethaly tight. I'm working hard for this fit. Should be worth it.

8. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^ since you're not washing, there is a higher possibility of fabric tear and stitch blow out__ or even button hole tear or even popping the button if top block is gravely tight. so, take it easy with the breaking them in and don't force it. eventually they will become soft & pliable.

9. gt33

gt33 Senior member

what shirt are you wearing above doctor? the red button down

10. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

Thanks for the advice.

what shirt are you wearing above doctor? the red button down

It's a Mossimo shirt - an Australian designer. It wouldn't be available outside Australia, unfortunately. I know that's really not the answer you were hoping for.

11. gt33

gt33 Senior member

Thanks for the advice.

It's a Mossimo shirt - an Australian designer. It wouldn't be available outside Australia, unfortunately. I know that's really not the answer you were hoping for.

the same mossimo they sell in target?

12. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

Well I never. I believe that would be the same one [​IMG]. I had no idea they were available internationally. The label says "Mossimo Classic". It's red and white plaid with a sky blue stripe. The material is all rough and textured. I'll post a close up if you like. It's such a nice shirt. Only $20 too! (on special).

13. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks for the advice.

Mossimo isn't Australian BTW - he's from California.

14. graphix

graphix Senior member

It's a Mossimo shirt - an Australian designer. .

\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]