• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaving your job after 8 months...

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Not I.

You mean you have not sat down and had that conversation with your employer ...or you did and it got you nowhere?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
I do think employers expect young people to be more mobile than the older employees they come across...and I've even come across opinions that employers are ok with a bit of a colourful career history when you are younger as it indicates you've gotten all those things out of your system...

I think you're right, traditionally, but one thing to consider: There have been quite a few articles lately on how younger workers are increasingly self-centered and unwilling to make sacrifices for the greater company good. This even though they're unable to work independently and extremely demanding of praise. Most of these articles chalk it up to parents who never said no, and to kids who then assume they're always right. As such, some employers who've gotten burned may be looking for signs of stability, and may not feel particularly charitable toward youthful indiscretion. It's one thing if a potential employee made a few questionable decisions 20 years ago, another if those questionable decisions were within the last year or two.

Really, though, I'm just tossing that out as another viewpoint. Ultimately, I don't think a single blip on the resume is going to raise much concern, unless you're in an extremely competitive industry. As long as you stick with your next job, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

samblau

Reaction score
I am in the exact same situation (albeit in law) and have solicited the same advice. Ideally you want the full year on the resume....of course that isn't always possible. Younger employees with skills will certianly look to move on from less than ideal situations...in law...the flip side is that they will stay at firms that pay more than what they are worth. From what I hear, very few people stay at their first job for more than a few years.

In my situation I may stay the year...who knows....but beyond that...no way....it doesn't make sense when you can make more $ at a better place...or even less money if you will have a better quality of life and/or better opportunities in the future.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the right approach would be to speak to my employer about how I feel about the position that I find myself in ... but then it is a sensitive topic and she may resent me for it in the end...

anyone had any experience with an employer where they sat down with them and said 'I am not happy in my role at the moment ... I expected this and that... and this is what I want from here on in' and found that it made a difference?

I in my last job, it worked to the extent that I stayed for an extra 6 months, but I only prolonged the inevitable. There were better offers out there.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
But if you can gloss over it on the resume -- "2007-2008:" -- it might not be too noticeable.
As a word of advice from someone who looks at lots of resumes. This generic date structure, 2007-2008 especially when you have other dates that encapsulate and limit the 2007-2008 period (on your resume you show other jobs in 2007 and 2008), always looks bad because it doesnt clarify rather it leaves the imagination open. Personally, I alsways interpret it as the least possible amount of days that can satisfy the mentioned dates. (Dec, 31st 2007-Jan 1st, 2008).

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You mean you have not sat down and had that conversation with your employer ...or you did and it got you nowhere?

Inj my experience, bosses are who they and and corporate cultures are what they are, and it takes a lot more than a conversation with an underling to effect any change.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
This generic date structure, 2007-2008 especially when you have other dates that encapsulate and limit the 2007-2008 period (on your resume you show other jobs in 2007 and 2008), always looks bad because it doesnt clarify rather it leaves the imagination open.

I agree with you on this. I don't really see the point in just putting down years ... I typically put down the month and year so in this case it would be Aug-07 to May-08...

Prince

Reaction score
I'm in the same situation actually, albeit that I want to quit after 4 months as a Finance trainee. I feel that I am not challenged by the job because it is too 'easy'. But I have doubt about where to go from here, because I feel that it is not right to leave this company after just 4 months. I know I might get a more fitting job elsewhere and also a better wage, but still it feels not right. So I understand how you feel.

Tampan

Reaction score
Maybe the right approach would be to speak to my employer about how I feel about the position that I find myself in ... but then it is a sensitive topic and she may resent me for it in the end...

The only thing that could go wrong with having that manager discussion is to set false hopes for either of you, when really perhaps you should have met only to resign.

Until recently I was a manager of technical people in a services company. If someone came to me seeking more challenges I would take heed, and try to fit that into the upcoming year. Motivated employees are always better. So you could discuss this, remaining professional and focussed on doing better for company. This well may work. But you'd need to be prepared to give the resulting plan a chance.

What happens if your employer makes such a promise? Do you know them enough to trust their offer? Do they have authority to follow through? Is it subject also to the whims of the business? Would you rather put your faith somewhere else? If you're not sure, could 4 more months hurt? The other opportunity is likely to be gone then.

If instead you'd put your faith somewhere else, think about why. Hopefully it relates to something that you see as key to getting to use your core strength(s). The reasons should not be petty. If you do resign, better to focus on reasons for joining the other company than reasons for leaving, then your manager (should) feel less to blame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads