• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just have a questions about fits on a 5 zip. I tried on size 48 and 50 in two different colors just for size comparison. Though, I am thinking of getting the black one. The orange one in Size 48 is nothing uncomfortable, but it takes a bit of effort to cross my arms. Other than that I am assuming the chest and shoulders look fine. The waist is a bit tight, but I plan on losing slimming done (no, seriously I will). As for Size 50 which is not at all snug and fits comfortably in the waist. However, my main issue is the fact that there seems to excess space in the chest some of the pictures illustrate with red circles. Is this too much and taking away from the aesthetic or am I being OCD? Which size in your opinion is the correct one? I am 5'9" and weigh around 175 which I plan on dropping to 165. Also, both jackets are calfskin so thickness of the jacket isn't a differentiating factor. As I have heard calf does not conform to the body so it is even more imperative I think that I have the correct fit.

SIZE 48

SIZE 50

Your advice is much appreciated

You've circled the folds with your arms partially down, but didn't offer a similar pic in the orange jacket (only pic is arms straight out)... False comparison because when your arms are outstretched in the black jacket, they disappear. I think the 50 fits you better on the body and shoulders, but worse in the sleeve length. The 48 looks off in the shoulders like you're trying to squeeze into a size that's too small for you. Plus, they make your torso look rectangular and not V-shaped, which the black jacket does.

P.S. If you wanted to, you could point out the folding going on in the orange jacket in the other photo but you're ignoring that. Don't get me wrong, they're not a problem. But you're nit-picking.

palma

Reaction score

I think the 48 looks better imo, plus the leather will stretch over time. I'm in between a 52/50 and after a couple months of only wearing my previous size 52 jacket a handful of times, I kinda wished I went with the 50. Keep in mind i'm 6'2" 175 though.

Oh, I see. So, there is some stretch in the calf as well? I thought, it was only minor to non-existant. But, that is good to know. Thanks,

50. The 48 is bunching badly in the back and is way too small on you in the shoulders.

Ya, the shoulders is something I can't change even if I lose some weight which I was hoping would get rid of the tight waist that is causing the bunching

You've circled the folds with your arms partially down, but didn't offer a similar pic in the orange jacket (only pic is arms straight out)... False comparison because when your arms are outstretched in the black jacket, they disappear. I think the 50 fits you better on the body and shoulders, but worse in the sleeve length. The 48 looks off in the shoulders like you're trying to squeeze into a size that's too small for you. Plus, they make your torso look rectangular and not V-shaped, which the black jacket does.

P.S. If you wanted to, you could point out the folding going on in the orange jacket in the other photo but you're ignoring that. Don't get me wrong, they're not a problem. But you're nit-picking.

Ya, the reason why I didn't take that pic with the orange one is because that is really not an issue at all and can't even notice it. Looks just like the one with the arms stretched out pic. Interestingly, the arm length is the same on both, but because the shoulders are wider on the 50 so the sleeve length appears longer. Just how the Margiela sizing works. The orange makes the torso look rectangular? Again, I didn't point out the folding in the orange because it didn't seem that dramatic to me, but I do take your point.

I think neither of them suit your build really well, but the 50 is better.

Yes, brad I know I won't fit well in any leather jacket until I achieve the Thigh gap. j/k So, the extra fabric in the chest isn't too off. I know you are particular about fits so I do appreciate your input.

better fit and color

Color in the end will be black just need to decide on the size. 50 as well eh.

50 is better, but I suggest that you reach your (realistic, sustainable) target weight before buying a 2k leather.

That would be ideal, but I have been saving up and don't want to start the process again, because there are things I will spend it on. Anyways, 10 lbs isn't too far off. Plus, I wanted to know if there were glaring flaws in shoulder and chest area which aren't really going to be that different when I reach my weight goal.

Last edited:

fireflygrave

Reaction score

That would be ideal, but I have been saving up and don't want to start the process again, because there are things I will spend it on. Anyways, 10 lbs isn't too far off.

stressing again that this is a terrible idea, have some self control and just wait

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
palma i think the 48 looks better, although perhaps too tight on the shoulders. unless you plan to layer quite a bit underneath, the 50 looks too big and will only stretch, plus you plan to lose weight. quite honestly i wouldnt spend $2k on a leather unless i was at a stable weight and was pretty sure it fit spot on.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 pounds tends to be a full chest size. You also look like you could lose more than 10 pounds if you're aiming to be skinny. I'd wait man, reward yourself for the lost weight with a new jacket not the other way around.

fireflygrave

Reaction score
the way I see it, you wait, or you buy a jacket that 99% sure isn't going to fit how you imagine based on what you think you will look like and your measurements will be when you've lost the weight you want to

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't get it why would you ever use bill me later

Because sometimes you want/need to buy something (particularly if it's something you know will sell out quickly) and don't have the money right that moment but know you will within a couple of months or w/e. Lot better than using a credit card for anything that will take you more than a month to pay off.

palma

Reaction score

10 pounds tends to be a full chest size.  You also look like you could lose more than 10 pounds if you're aiming to be skinny.  I'd wait man, reward yourself for the lost weight with a new jacket not the other way around.

Now, that I am out of school, I have more time to work out and the goal is not just to lose body fat, but to also put on a bit of muscle through weight training. Not planning on a bulky look either. I would have gone 48 if I was just going to lose weight. Right now I don't have a big chest or anything and tend to wear 40" and Size 48 has a chest measurement of 21" and 50 has 22" so I guess my only concern was if I put on muscle in the chest area, then I won't be able to fit in a 48. Right now the chest on 48 is fine, just the waist is a bit tight. The difference between the two sizes isn't that dramatic except that mid-section area where the 50 has a lot of room. Most fit pics I have seen for the 5 zip tend to give a rectangular torso shape, is that how these jackets are supposed to fit anyways. 5 zip just slowly tapers through to the waist unlike the double breasted motos which taper more dramatically to wards the mid-section and then widen towards the waist like Tojs.

Last edited:

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^but, I would have to wait until next season so at least 6 months or so and I just don't know if I can be that patient.
This compulsive attitude is probably why you have a weight problem and it won't do you any good in trying to develop a distinct, cohesive wardrobe. Patience, diligence and discipline. These must be the dharma of your fashion universe.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prostadineonline