• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Looks perfect for
giphy.gif

PbgGuy

Reaction score
Hey gents - was hoping to get some opinions and insights, if you don't mind. I've been toying with the idea of investing in a good quality leather jacket and my little bit of research has led me to Aero and Schott. Aero seems to be a higher price point, particularly for a custom jacket, but the way I'm looking at it is that it will (ideally) last many, many years and I'll likely favor a more classic style as opposed to something more trendy. Anyway:

*Any preferences between Aero vs Schott? Other brands that you favor?

As an aside, I really like this Aero jacket: https://www.thurston-bros.com/colle...cotland/products/aero-premier-1930s-half-belt

*Have any of you gone the custom route with Aero? If so, happy with your purchase?

*Do either of these jackets get marked down in the summer months? I bought a great jacket (non-leather) last summer at more than 1/2 off and I'd be willing to wait and do so again, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give!

PS - as a frame of reference, I'm a 48yr old single male with a professional job. Prefer classic, well put together styles in general.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@PbgGuy

Aero and Schott are not exactly a good comparison. Maybe a Schott collab with nicer leather could be compared but Aero is generally considered better. Schott doesnt do an MTM version of their jackets that i am aware of, they do some horse leather jackets here and there. But as @LA Guy said "Schott offers is straightforward, sturdy, construction and iconic pieces."

Aero allows you to customize a lot and get pretty much exactly what you want. While Schott has a lot more options off the rack. Aero also has some of the rack but i generally dont find their off the rack stuff appealing.

I decided not to buy an Aero strictly because i had to put down the whole payment to get a custom jacket that may not be perfect although @walds11 would have a different experience.

In my experience i highly recommend buying a leather from a store or an online retailer where you can return in case of fit. Thus, my vote is schott, easy to buy easy to return. In fact, they have stores in many cities now (New York, Chicago, San Francisco).

Aero you can try on at Thurston store in seattle. Obviously idk where you live.

hope that helps.

Bullitt

Reaction score
*Have any of you gone the custom route with Aero? If so, happy with your purchase?

My only experience with Schott is a Caferacer style jacket I bought and gave it back after a day, because the quality of the leather and the hardware was abysmal. It was by Schott NYC, the European market line, which is probably (hopefully) different from the US mainline.

I had a custom jacket made by Aero, even visited the factory and discussed all the options with the son of the founder. It is possible to do this by email or over the phone instead. If you live in the US, I would suggest using Thurston. If you are thinking about ordering an Aero jacket, you should join Fedora Lounge, read a few threads and ask some of the experienced members as well. They are friendly and knowledgeable. I am absolutely happy with my custom Aero Boardracer, it is exactly as I imagined it to be. It fits as it should, the Italian leather is nice and the overall quality is excellent.

PS - as a frame of reference, I'm a 48yr old single male with a professional job. Prefer classic, well put together styles in general.

You probably know what you want. If you value quality, details and customisation options and maybe want to spend some time choosing the right leather/colour, lining… you should have a look at Aero.

Last edited:

js61095

Reaction score
One more question guys. I am talking with Alan from johnson leathers about a custom m-200. He has a few different weight HH available. One is a 2.75 oz veg tanned and the other is a 3.5 oz CXL dark dark brown.

This jacket will only be for casual street wear. And I dont quite understand the implications of the leather weight just yet. Any thoughts? I would prefer the black veg tanned hide but I want to make sure that I am not making any sacrifice when it comes to the longevity of the jacket by using a lighter hide.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more question guys. I am talking with Alan from johnson leathers about a custom m-200. He has a few different weight HH available. One is a 2.75 oz veg tanned and the other is a 3.5 oz CXL dark dark brown.

This jacket will only be for casual street wear. And I dont quite understand the implications of the leather weight just yet. Any thoughts? I would prefer the black veg tanned hide but I want to make sure that I am not making any sacrifice when it comes to the longevity of the jacket by using a lighter hide.

A 2.75 oz HH is considered midweight. The 3.5 oz CXL HH is heavy, thick and mighty. The mid will require little/less break in while the heavy CXL is suitable for actual motorcycle wear. Heavy CXL will stand on its own when new. Some people love that, others want something more manageable out of the box.

I just bought an Aero made from their heavy FQHH CXL as well as a midweight italian HH from Eastman. The FQHH probably weighs 6 lbs. The midweight is 3.5 lbs.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@patrick_b What are the specs of the aero? Im curious of your FQHH impressions. I am almost certain of the aero i want to spec but keep debating the leather. In reality, its going to turn into multiple jackets and ill try and get a cxl fqhh fit jacket from thurston, if available.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@patrick_b What are the specs of the aero? Im curious of your FQHH impressions. I am almost certain of the aero i want to spec but keep debating the leather. In reality, its going to turn into multiple jackets and ill try and get a cxl fqhh fit jacket from thurston, if available.

I've been trolling ebay and classifieds for pre-owned jackets. The first was the ELMC Californian (half belt) which fit perfectly. Love the midweight HH, dark brown color, everything. Couldn't be happier.

I went looking for a black Cafe Racer and took a chance on a pre-owned Aero Buco J100 in black FQHH CXL. The Aero was a bit of a bust. It's probably great for someone a few inches taller than me (someone 6'2"+). However, it should re-sell eventually (just need to find an NBA player who rides).

The FQHH CXL is amazing stuff but be prepared to break it in. Much stiffer and heavier than I anticipated. If I ever build up a custom jacket, I'll go with Vicenza or Shinki. It all depends on what you are after. Some people don't mind the heavy stuff. I found it a bit too much. If I were keeping this one, I'd consider the dryer trick (no heat & tennis balls) to see if I could beat it into submission. I definitely wouldn't recommend buying a brand new one without trying it first. Going through Thurston should help you avoid any mistakes with fit and leather choice. I understand now why so many folks praise the mid-weight hides

Amazingly, it actually softens up considerably after 20 min on the body. I'd read body heat helps but was surprised nonetheless. When I first pulled it out of the box, it was a fight to get it on given that it had been in transit for 3 days in the winter. I'd love to try a well worn FQHH but not sure I'd ever break in one from new given that I'm business casual during the work week. If worn daily or on a bike, it would break in quicker but it would take me forever.

Good luck with Thurston. Their process is easily the safest with fit jackets. I may even try one of their stock jackets at some point (in a mid-weight). It's kind of fun looking at pre-owned & vintage too. There are guys at TFL with huge collections. I got so lucky with the Californian and already asked the seller to let me know if he plans to sell anything else down the road. He had a black shinki J100 that would have been perfect but it sold.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just make sure that you can wear FQHH cuz if it makes the jacket unwearable, you’ll be selling at a loss. Aero’s second hand market isn’t great.

Very true. It makes buying pre-owned a great value. Jackets in the $1100 when new can range from $300 to $800. Good examples in the $500 range isn't uncommon. There is risk however. I am 1 for 2 right now.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just make sure that you can wear FQHH cuz if it makes the jacket unwearable, you’ll be selling at a loss. Aero’s second hand market isn’t great.

You are absolutely right. I haven't been able to find much but its either near new for $600-$700 or heavily used for $300-$400. I cant believe how many reviews ive come across in the few months of researching this rabbit hold of aeros purchased successfully in terms of fit and finish, worn for a month, and let got at half price. It also happens that many of those seem to be cxl fqhh.

I've been trolling ebay and classifieds for pre-owned jackets. The first was the ELMC Californian (half belt) which fit perfectly. Love the midweight HH, dark brown color, everything. Couldn't be happier.

I went looking for a black Cafe Racer and took a chance on a pre-owned Aero Buco J100 in black FQHH CXL. The Aero was a bit of a bust. It's probably great for someone a few inches taller than me (someone 6'2"+). However, it should re-sell eventually (just need to find an NBA player who rides).

The FQHH CXL is amazing stuff but be prepared to break it in. Much stiffer and heavier than I anticipated. If I ever build up a custom jacket, I'll go with Vicenza or Shinki. It all depends on what you are after. Some people don't mind the heavy stuff. I found it a bit too much. If I were keeping this one, I'd consider the dryer trick (no heat & tennis balls) to see if I could beat it into submission. I definitely wouldn't recommend buying a brand new one without trying it first. Going through Thurston should help you avoid any mistakes with fit and leather choice. I understand now why so many folks praise the mid-weight hides

Amazingly, it actually softens up considerably after 20 min on the body. I'd read body heat helps but was surprised nonetheless. When I first pulled it out of the box, it was a fight to get it on given that it had been in transit for 3 days in the winter. I'd love to try a well worn FQHH but not sure I'd ever break in one from new given that I'm business casual during the work week. If worn daily or on a bike, it would break in quicker but it would take me forever.

Good luck with Thurston. Their process is easily the safest with fit jackets. I may even try one of their stock jackets at some point (in a mid-weight). It's kind of fun looking at pre-owned & vintage too. There are guys at TFL with huge collections. I got so lucky with the Californian and already asked the seller to let me know if he plans to sell anything else down the road. He had a black shinki J100 that would have been perfect but it sold.

Thanks for the info. I can see a black cafe racer being a pretty safe bet on the second hand market. Its funny you mention that about the leather softening up after 20 minutes of wear. The common experience seems to be it responds really well to body and environmental temperates but the more I think about it, the less i would like it. I would be pissed if i put my jacket on after months only for it to be stiff and creaky again.

I want cxl fqhh because i love the idea of it but I don't really think i'd be happy with it long term. I think Vicenza or goatskin would be much better for my day to day. Shinki seems like a very special HH and the character of the leather really comes through in pictures but I cant stomach the +$2k price point for most make ups. This flat head model at RNH stuck with me and I keep coming back to it.

I noticed a bunch of those ELMC Californians popping up on ebay and they look awesome. The walnut color is really great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads