• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket for the fall? Poast pics of recent purchases or what you're coveting.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My goatskin leather jacket is as soft as butter. Got it NWOT on Ebay about 2 years ago. Retail was $700. One of my best finds. This jacket elicits compliments routinely. Fully lined, and the contrast stitching is distinctive without being turgid. It's a great fit, and you can see it's not too long, and comfortable as hell. This perfect light jacket makes me happy summer is over. The only downside is that if this got caught in the rain, it would be stained and destroyed. I've had a few close calls where I've had to take it off, ball it up, and hide it under my shirt.
f0xo2g.jpg

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lambskin jacket from Brooks Bros that I bought here on B&S about 2 years ago. I've only worn it a few times, since I was never thrilled with how the color looked on me. Its a smooth, matte finish that is only slightly darker and redder than peanut butter. As well, I was thinking it was too short, since it stopped just a tad below my belt line, but I suppose for a jacket of this style, it's ok.

After looking at all the great pictures in this particular thread, I decided that I'm going to see about having it dyed darker. Anything in a espresso or dark walnut shade will likely look better.

If the place I found on Yelp can dye the jacket, I'll snap some before and after shots.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Goodwear A-1 in Horween Vermont Espresso HH, waiting for it to cool down so I can wear it:

frontview2.jpg

This one's my favorite so far... It's damn nice.
worship.gif
I'm checking out the website now.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like all my jackets to be exactly 30" long from the collar seam to the bottom hem, because I leave my shirts untucked and the shirttails just get covered.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
My goatskin leather jacket is as soft as butter.

f0xo2g.jpg

Can't you spray it w/some suede waterproofing?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x-post from the other leather jacket thread

Originally Posted by gdl203
I have these two TOJ and I'm pretty happy about it. I'd love to rock the anorexic vampire look but with my age and frame, it's not really appropriate...

s+bmbr.jpg

bomber+jacket.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEARTLESS-531
Lee, that's Cucinelli, yeah?

Correct.

Nowadays, I enjoy the simplicity of having one or two high quality items. Theoretically the "high quality" should be a given, but we'll see about that after a few years of use.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried tweaking the white balance a bit, to get the accurate color temp.

I haven't worn it enough to break it in. But I'd hope, with wear, it might relax a bit. It's butter soft. It looks much more pleasing to me when the placket lays open or when my hands are in the pockets. But when it's just buttoned up, it floats around my waist like I'm wearing a barrel. I think if it were a bit longer, the added weight of the material might help pull it down a bit more.

I think I would have liked it more if the chest flap pockets were at the hip instead.

Still curious what others think as far as the length?

_MG_4395.jpg

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'd rather it be the shade of the A-1 that AlanC posted above.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the guy I found in SF who can do the work on the jacket took a look at it yesterday. I didn't think it was going to be cheap, but was surprised to hear him initially quote me $300 to dye the jacket a nice espresso brown color.

He said the absolute cheapest he could go was $250, since it would take a lot of time to get it right, requiring a lot of hand work. He's dying a small square in the back under the seam that I'm going to see today before work, and if I like it, I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger.

He told me it will take about 21 days to complete, so I will post some pictures when is done. I'll be picking it up right before I leave for a Vegas trip for Halloween. He mentioned that the jacket will take a good deal of time to air out, and will be quite strong smelling of the dye for a bit.

BaronPete

Reaction score
Didn't know what thread to pick to ask this in, but I've been coveting a Belstaff Brad for quite sometime now. Jcrew has them, obviously, but I just can't believe the price! I mean..$1600 after tax!

Other people obviously have bitten the bullet and laid the money down, but I'm having a hard time. Ultimately, I want the damn thing, though!
smile.gif

Basically, I'm looking for someone to say "do it, man!".....lol

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it man.

My BB should be ready by the 27th. I'll post pics when its done. It will get it's maiden voyage on a trip to Vegas for Halloween.

I'd love to snag one of those Brad Belstaffs myself, perhaps someday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads