Leather jacket for the fall? Poast pics of recent purchases or what you're coveting.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bull, Sep 18, 2010.

1. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Anyone seen the site filmjackets.com? There's a nice discussion of some of the jackets we've talked about here.

2. redips

redips Well-Known Member

I know. That's why they should have got the jacket in his size. Not XXXL.

The fit of that jacket was obviously intentional. He is on his own scavenging, hunting, and surviving. A properly fitting jacket would have been the wrong prop.

On another note, can anyone explain the preference for the stretchy fabric on the base of some of these jackets? It looks cheap, dated, and hardly rugged. Sort of like the look of my college accounting professor back in the day.

3. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

I must say that I'm quite impressed with the list of Hollywood creds Belstaff has, from checking out all the movies their stuff has been featured in, and mainly because they list it at all.

Not that I care about the Hollywood connection per se, but I do wonder why other brands don't list their creds as well, especially sunglass companies (which would be nice)?

Is there some unwritten rule Belstaff chooses not to follow?

4. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Senior member

5. SouthPhillyMan

SouthPhillyMan Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of Belstaff. I think the quarter length belted look is some what "old head".
    Woe that cockpit jacket is vicious. I'm checking out the site now.
    I been thinking about getting a leather myself and have been keeping an eye out on Gilt, but what do you guys think of Cole Haan leathers? I want a soft buttery leather

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

On another note, can anyone explain the preference for the stretchy fabric on the base of some of these jackets? It looks cheap, dated, and hardly rugged. Sort of like the look of my college accounting professor back in the day.

A1 Flight jacket - the original US Airforce jacket - had this detail:

http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=7

I must say that I'm quite impressed with the list of Hollywood creds Belstaff has, from checking out all the movies their stuff has been featured in, and mainly because they list it at all.

Not that I care about the Hollywood connection per se, but I do wonder why other brands don't list their creds as well, especially sunglass companies (which would be nice)?

Is there some unwritten rule Belstaff chooses not to follow?

Belstaff consciously does product placement of their leathers to drive brand awareness. They then price these leather jackets above $1000. This allows them sell the waxed cotton version for $500 and trick people into thinking they're getting a bargain.

7. porschemad911

porschemad911 Senior member

Speaking of Belstaff ... I just got this one (sorry only have the pic from the for sale thread) ... absolutely love it! [​IMG]

8. Bull

Bull Senior member

That's because he's leaned out, yo.

[​IMG]

[ ll ]

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

10. redips

redips Well-Known Member

A1 Flight jacket - the original US Airforce jacket - had this detail:

http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=7

Understanding the origin changes my perception a bit, but it has to be done right. The flight jackets are pretty cool.

11. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

Even though I like several of them, I'd think long and hard about a Belstaff.

The snaps/belts are distinctive but could turn against you in hurry as snaps and belts are easy adornments.

What I'm trying to say is, it's a look that will be easy to copy.

Do you want people confusing your expensive Belstaff with an equally distinctive mall-brand knockoff?

Hedge your trend, maybe?

12. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

Even though I like several of them, I'd think long and hard about a Belstaff.

The snaps/belts are distinctive but could turn against you in hurry as snaps and belts are easy adornments.

What I'm trying to say is, it's a look that will be easy to copy.

Do you want people confusing your expensive Belstaff with an equally distinctive mall-brand knockoff?

Hedge your trend, maybe?

that's true for the waxed cotton jackets - Barbours are just as nice, and so are many, many imitators

but it's not true of the leather jackets themselves, and the way Belstaff antiques the leather and makes it a durable finish that doesn't come off with wear or water (a huge feat!)

many have tried to copy them, but I have yet to see anything that comes close to both the finish and the durability of Belstaff leathers,,,,even the best imitators fall far short

it's the one brand that's worth the money, assuming you like the designs

13. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

but it's not true of the leather jackets themselves, and the way Belstaff antiques the leather and makes it a durable finish that doesn't come off with wear or water (a huge feat!)

many have tried to copy them, but I have yet to see anything that comes close to both the finish and the durability of Belstaff leathers,,,,even the best imitators fall far short

it's the one brand that's worth the money, assuming you like the designs

Still, for your average MCer, this is a very casual coat, so it's worn on the weekends for maybe half the year. Buying a replica shortens the payback period by years in this case. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a replica just for price - I called J.Crew on Tuesday when they sold the last Panther to see if they could find me another one - but I can't help feeling that I'd be buying an awful lot of label as well as a great jacket for $1500, when I can get a MTM fit, with no brand premium, and admittedly lower quality detailing and leather finish, for 1/6th of the price.

14. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

15. Bull

Bull Senior member

Barbour...

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Whoa. Nice.