Last making

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gyasih, Aug 19, 2013.

1. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Hello fellow SFers

I have been reading so much information about MTO shoes and bespoke shoes. Is there a place that one can go to get as last made of their foot, ideally in/around NYC?

I know one can go to EG, VASS, G&G, etc. and have a pair of bespoke shoes made. But suppose I want to keep my last and use it with various shoemakers because I like their particular models/styles.

Thanks for any insight.

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

You might want to contact "Crispinians", which is run by people who have extensive experience in bespoke work:

http://www.crispinians.com/

There are plans to make measurement trips to the USA. Whether any dates or places have been fixed yet, I would't know.

4. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Thank you both.

5. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

Cross post from a similar thread regarding Cispinians made lasts

6. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Have you asked to see if shoemakers will use a personal last for shoes? I have never done it, but I imagine some will not make a shoe for you with your own last.

7. marcodalondra

Off course I have asked. I have two options, either a fully handmade version by an artisan or using a shoe factory that will have just to amend the pattern to adapt to my last. I have spoken to some factories and all told me that they would threat this the same as when they do one off sample runs to try new model. My last would not be different by a one off trial version. The maker/ factories are in Naples Italy and they both use third party lastmakers. For me the advantage was that I got measured and got the last done close to where I live now. Will get the shoes made in Italy very cheaply and will then go back to the lastmaker that will evaluate the shoe fit and make any amendment necessary to the last to improve it...

8. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Did you get measured by Steven or did you send shoes and take measurements yourself?

9. marcodalondra

Got measured my Steven by appointment. Other than measuring he took note of all the main bones and other bit and pieces. He took the time to talk me through what shoemakers will then do with this last ;-)

10. mw313

mw313 Senior member

which factories and handmade shoemakers did you find who were willing to use your own last? I don't know of many who would do that and it could be quite helpful in the future due to my crazy sizing.

11. marcodalondra

I am referring to the Naples area were there are several factories making shoes for designer Italian brands as well as French groups. You would need to discuss it with each factory as they would not want to advertise this service.
    The problem is not using the last by itself, but modifing the pattern and cut it on a one off basis.
    I have gone with an home based shoemaker from Naples, soon will post some pictures

12. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Can't wait to see them! Well if you know of others who would be able to work with custom lasts, I would appreciate any ideas that you have.

13. marcodalondra

As I said, you need to enquire with each factory you may have access to. Someone on this forum reported doing that with Alfred Sargent a while ago.

14. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I figured that but I was just curious if you had any good contacts. That is all.

I actually reached out to Sargent not very ling ago but they said no to making a pair for me. Maybe I'm too off scale for them.

Thanks anyway.