• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Last making

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SFers

I have been reading so much information about MTO shoes and bespoke shoes. Is there a place that one can go to get as last made of their foot, ideally in/around NYC?

I know one can go to EG, VASS, G&G, etc. and have a pair of bespoke shoes made. But suppose I want to keep my last and use it with various shoemakers because I like their particular models/styles.

Thanks for any insight.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might want to contact "Crispinians", which is run by people who have extensive experience in bespoke work:

http://www.crispinians.com/

There are plans to make measurement trips to the USA. Whether any dates or places have been fixed yet, I would't know.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from a similar thread regarding Cispinians made lasts
Just collected my lasts from Crispinians of London:

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you asked to see if shoemakers will use a personal last for shoes? I have never done it, but I imagine some will not make a shoe for you with your own last.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off course I have asked. I have two options, either a fully handmade version by an artisan or using a shoe factory that will have just to amend the pattern to adapt to my last. I have spoken to some factories and all told me that they would threat this the same as when they do one off sample runs to try new model. My last would not be different by a one off trial version. The maker/ factories are in Naples Italy and they both use third party lastmakers. For me the advantage was that I got measured and got the last done close to where I live now. Will get the shoes made in Italy very cheaply and will then go back to the lastmaker that will evaluate the shoe fit and make any amendment necessary to the last to improve it...

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off course I have asked. I have two options, either a fully handmade version by an artisan or using a shoe factory that will have just to amend the pattern to adapt to my last. I have spoken to some factories and all told me that they would threat this the same as when they do one off sample runs to try new model. My last would not be different by a one off trial version. The maker/ factories are in Naples Italy and they both use third party lastmakers. For me the advantage was that I got measured and got the last done close to where I live now. Will get the shoes made in Italy very cheaply and will then go back to the lastmaker that will evaluate the shoe fit and make any amendment necessary to the last to improve it...

which factories and handmade shoemakers did you find who were willing to use your own last? I don't know of many who would do that and it could be quite helpful in the future due to my crazy sizing.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

which factories and handmade shoemakers did you find who were willing to use your own last? I don't know of many who would do that and it could be quite helpful in the future due to my crazy sizing.
I am referring to the Naples area were there are several factories making shoes for designer Italian brands as well as French groups. You would need to discuss it with each factory as they would not want to advertise this service.
The problem is not using the last by itself, but modifing the pattern and cut it on a one off basis.
I have gone with an home based shoemaker from Naples, soon will post some pictures

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am referring to the Naples area were there are several factories making shoes for designer Italian brands as well as French groups. You would need to discuss it with each factory as they would not want to advertise this service.
The problem is not using the last by itself, but modifing the pattern and cut it on a one off basis.
I have gone with an home based shoemaker from Naples, soon will post some pictures

Can't wait to see them! Well if you know of others who would be able to work with custom lasts, I would appreciate any ideas that you have.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't wait to see them! Well if you know of others who would be able to work with custom lasts, I would appreciate any ideas that you have.

As I said, you need to enquire with each factory you may have access to. Someone on this forum reported doing that with Alfred Sargent a while ago.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As I said, you need to enquire with each factory you may have access to. Someone on this forum reported doing that with Alfred Sargent a while ago.

I figured that but I was just curious if you had any good contacts. That is all.

I actually reached out to Sargent not very ling ago but they said no to making a pair for me. Maybe I'm too off scale for them.

Thanks anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics