1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Last button undone on working buttonholes...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Maximus Mark, Aug 25, 2006.

1. AlexP415

AlexP415 Well-Known Member

I wear one button undone most of the time when I wear my one higher end suit (thanks, Lance!), and I don't find it tacky. Some would probably consider it affected simply to outdress 99% of the population (which most of this forum likely does on a daily basis), not to mention to dress in expensive bespoke suits, shirts, and $1000 shoes (which I don't, by the way, but many surely do) regardless of whether one has one sleeve button undone. The issue of open sleeve buttons to me seems a very minor detail, and I just frankly don't care if anyone has a problem with it. [​IMG]

2. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Each undone sleeve buttonhole signals the number of fly buttons you've left undone. [​IMG]

3. horton

horton Senior Member

I think leaving one is fine. It may be more of a way to celebrate artisanship than showing off in my opinion.

what he said. Also I think it depends on context. In a business context they must be buttoned IMO. In social context, one can be undone depending on rest of outfit.

4. Tuerney1

Tuerney1 Well-Known Member

I don't leave one button undone but sometimes undo them all and push/roll both my shirtcuffs and sleeve ends back if I'm in a casual setting and doing something with my hands, eating at a bbq/picnic and particularly out of the city.

Now back to our regularly scheduled flaming....

5. AlexP415

AlexP415 Well-Known Member

what he said. Also I think it depends on context. In a business context they must be buttoned IMO. In social context, one can be undone depending on rest of outfit.

I was wondering about that. If I'm meeting with (usually) much older executives, for example, I probably would button up, for the same reason that I'd typically lose the pocket square - so as not to give them any reason to think I am pretentious, affected, etc.

6. kolecho

kolecho Distinguished Member

No issue with one button undone, so far, but I reserve the right to change my mind from time to time [​IMG]

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

If I'm in a casual setting and doing something with my hands, eating at a bbq/picnic and particularly out of the city.

If I'm at a BBQ/picnic the last thing I'm wearing is a suit jacket, much less one that has functioning button cuffs.

I'm in the camp of do whatever you want with your buttons. Personally I leave them all buttoned, but if someone chooses to unbutton one, two, three etc it doesnt bother me

8. Tuerney1

Tuerney1 Well-Known Member

If I'm at a BBQ/picnic the last thing I'm wearing is a suit jacket, much less one that has functioning button cuffs.

Well, the original post never said anything about a suit, unless I misread it, simply a jacket with buttonholes. [​IMG]

If I can avoid it, I generally don't wear business clothes to social functions, but there are plenty of times I've been at a bbq, garden party, cocktail party that devolved/evolved to a bonfire on the beach outside, where it was cool enough to want my sportcoat (or even suit coat) on but I rolled up my sleeves a bit.

To each his own. [​IMG]

9. passingtime

passingtime Senior Member

It looks like you are wearing a jacket with a button missing.

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Maybe they got something right...for the first time ever. [​IMG]

Massimo does it and he is one of my style icons.

Right now I am at a 1 to 2 buttons undone stage and I notice that a lot of Italians (via Naples, not Brooklyn) wear one to all undone. I don't do that for more formal business occasions but I like the rakishness of the buttons undone, a puffed out pocket square and a tie knot that is slightly askew. The legends that I try to style myself after usually wore things in a manner that many today and then considered naff, i.e Gianni with his watch over his shirt cuff. Anyone can look good following "the rules", it takes a lot more work and balls to look good going against the grain.

11. Dragon

Dragon Distinguished Member

I never knew the sleeve buttons were such a big deal.

When I wear a suit...that means I`m usually in a more formal/business setting so I leave all my buttons up (the jacket sleeves, shirt cuffs, shirt collar, and of course pants [​IMG] ) When I`m wearing a sports jacket (which is about 90% of the time for me) I usually leave a few buttons undone.

Leaving sleeve buttons undone (to me) is just another casual way of wearing my jackets. Sometimes I don`t button my shirt cuff buttons either. I would compare it to wearing a shirt with one or two collar buttons undone...it`s no big deal

12. Aureus

Aureus Senior Member

95% Won't notice or care. 5% of people will notice and I don't care what they think.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

It's an affectation, like a popped collar.

14. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

95% Won't notice or care. 5% of people will notice and I don't care what they think.

But if that's the case, why do it?

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

It's the secret handshake of artisan fans worldwide. [​IMG]