• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Last button undone on working buttonholes...

AlexP415

Reaction score
I wear one button undone most of the time when I wear my one higher end suit (thanks, Lance!), and I don't find it tacky. Some would probably consider it affected simply to outdress 99% of the population (which most of this forum likely does on a daily basis), not to mention to dress in expensive bespoke suits, shirts, and $1000 shoes (which I don't, by the way, but many surely do) regardless of whether one has one sleeve button undone. The issue of open sleeve buttons to me seems a very minor detail, and I just frankly don't care if anyone has a problem with it.
tounge.gif

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I think leaving one is fine. It may be more of a way to celebrate artisanship than showing off in my opinion.

what he said. Also I think it depends on context. In a business context they must be buttoned IMO. In social context, one can be undone depending on rest of outfit.

Tuerney1

Reaction score
I don't leave one button undone but sometimes undo them all and push/roll both my shirtcuffs and sleeve ends back if I'm in a casual setting and doing something with my hands, eating at a bbq/picnic and particularly out of the city.

Now back to our regularly scheduled flaming....

AlexP415

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
what he said. Also I think it depends on context. In a business context they must be buttoned IMO. In social context, one can be undone depending on rest of outfit.

I was wondering about that. If I'm meeting with (usually) much older executives, for example, I probably would button up, for the same reason that I'd typically lose the pocket square - so as not to give them any reason to think I am pretentious, affected, etc.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuerney1
If I'm in a casual setting and doing something with my hands, eating at a bbq/picnic and particularly out of the city.

If I'm at a BBQ/picnic the last thing I'm wearing is a suit jacket, much less one that has functioning button cuffs.

I'm in the camp of do whatever you want with your buttons. Personally I leave them all buttoned, but if someone chooses to unbutton one, two, three etc it doesnt bother me

Tuerney1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
If I'm at a BBQ/picnic the last thing I'm wearing is a suit jacket, much less one that has functioning button cuffs.

Well, the original post never said anything about a suit, unless I misread it, simply a jacket with buttonholes.
smile.gif

If I can avoid it, I generally don't wear business clothes to social functions, but there are plenty of times I've been at a bbq, garden party, cocktail party that devolved/evolved to a bonfire on the beach outside, where it was cool enough to want my sportcoat (or even suit coat) on but I rolled up my sleeves a bit.

To each his own.
laugh.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Maybe they got something right...for the first time ever.
smile.gif

Massimo does it and he is one of my style icons.

Right now I am at a 1 to 2 buttons undone stage and I notice that a lot of Italians (via Naples, not Brooklyn) wear one to all undone. I don't do that for more formal business occasions but I like the rakishness of the buttons undone, a puffed out pocket square and a tie knot that is slightly askew. The legends that I try to style myself after usually wore things in a manner that many today and then considered naff, i.e Gianni with his watch over his shirt cuff. Anyone can look good following "the rules", it takes a lot more work and balls to look good going against the grain.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never knew the sleeve buttons were such a big deal.

When I wear a suit...that means I`m usually in a more formal/business setting so I leave all my buttons up (the jacket sleeves, shirt cuffs, shirt collar, and of course pants
laugh.gif
) When I`m wearing a sports jacket (which is about 90% of the time for me) I usually leave a few buttons undone.

Leaving sleeve buttons undone (to me) is just another casual way of wearing my jackets. Sometimes I don`t button my shirt cuff buttons either. I would compare it to wearing a shirt with one or two collar buttons undone...it`s no big deal

Aureus

Reaction score
95% Won't notice or care. 5% of people will notice and I don't care what they think.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an affectation, like a popped collar.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aureus
95% Won't notice or care. 5% of people will notice and I don't care what they think.

But if that's the case, why do it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads