1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Last button undone on working buttonholes...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Maximus Mark, Aug 25, 2006.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's a difference between wearing an accessory or choosing a certain type of construction and undoing buttons. Does anyone leave his shirtcuffs unbuttoned or pop open one of the placket buttons with a tie?

When we have jackets made, we have them made with breast pockets, even though they are not necessary, so that we can put pocket squares in them, which we also don't need. The problem with leaving a button on a shirt cuff undone is that it affects the fit of the shirt; a jacket sleeve's fit is not similarly affected by leaving a button or two undone.

What makes it an affectation, to my mind, is the fact that it doesn't change the visual effect of the outfit in any way, and that it doesn't follow from the normal process of getting dressed- it requires a special effort.

But the visial effect is changed, albeit subtlely. What is and is not the 'normal process of getting dressed' is a subjective matter. Tolerance for effort--and thus what constitutes a 'special effort'--varies between individuals.

Also, doesn't it strike anyone as curious that the only buttons anyone ever intentionally unbuttons, except for the collar, are the jacket sleeve buttons which until recently were found only on better makes?

The coincidence is not mysterious: it's quite plausible that many people leave their sleeve buttons undone to connote prestige or status. That doesn't mean that you or I must do it for that reason. The unknowledgeable person believes Rolex watches are the 'best'; they may be wrong, but that doesn't make a Rolex a bad watch. I like the Explorer I in particular.

2. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

There's a difference between wearing an accessory or choosing a certain type of construction and undoing buttons. Does anyone leave his shirtcuffs unbuttoned or pop open one of the placket buttons with a tie?

Yes. Some people leave their shirt cuff buttons undone and one of the placket buttons with a tie undone too.

Everyone has a different style.

3. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

4. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

i particularly do not care for this style any place one or two button maybe if your going clubing or something but I would deffinatley not do this in the work place.

5. chubby

chubby Member

I prefer (for going out) to do every other button; on a four button, to go undone/done/undone/done - and sometimes when either extremely bored or bold, done/done/undone/undone on the other sleeve.

6. JamesT

JamesT Senior member

Who cares if it is affected? My guess would be nobody. To most people, wearing a coat is affected - a pocket square even more so.

I certainly don't think it is vulgar either. It's not like walking around with a price tag on the outside of the suit. If you want to do it, go ahead. If not, then don't. I can't understand why people have such a strong reaction to it.

I suppose what it comes down to is this: If the suit really is bespoke the fabric or the fit will trump a sleeve button being undone; those who know what the undone button represents would most likely know the suit is well made before they even look at the sleeve buttons.

The big question, however, is why did I respond to this?

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

8. rkw5000

rkw5000 Senior member

Right now I am at a 1 to 2 buttons undone stage and I notice that a lot of Italians (via Naples, not Brooklyn) wear one to all undone. I don't do that for more formal business occasions but I like the rakishness of the buttons undone, a puffed out pocket square and a tie knot that is slightly askew. The legends that I try to style myself after usually wore things in a manner that many today and then considered naff, i.e Gianni with his watch over his shirt cuff. Anyone can look good following "the rules", it takes a lot more work and balls to look good going against the grain.

+1

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

To each his own....

10. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

Why not use the one undone sleeve button to attatch to one of the main jacket buttonholes? Then everyone can see not only you have working buttonholes but tasteful and expensive jacket lining!

11. ccffm1

ccffm1 Senior member

..., it takes a lot more work and balls to look good going against the grain.

That´s exactly why I criticize this practice. The oft-quoted sprezzatura can never be attained by putting too much work in achieving it.

12. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

i like just 1 undone.

13. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

That´s exactly why I criticize this practice. The oft-quoted sprezzatura can never be attained by putting too much work in achieving it.

Too much work? You just undo a button, and that`s it!

It`s not such a big deal.

14. JamesT

JamesT Senior member

Too much work? You just undo a button, and that`s it!

It`s not such a big deal.

Finally!

15. bespoken

bespoken Active Member

There's been so much discussion on the subject, it is enough to make someone leave a button undone just for the hell of it

[​IMG]

16. raphael

raphael Senior member

If I'm going to pay for working buttonholes, I'm going to show them off so I leave the last button undone on a single sleeve.

17. ccffm1

ccffm1 Senior member

Too much work? You just undo a button, and that`s it! It`s not such a big deal.
    1. I quoted edmorel, compare post #25. 2. Not too much work perhaps, but still too much of an effort.

18. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I can assure you that there is no danger that anyone will mistake my Kiton suits for a Banana Republic jacket.

I think you'd be surprised how many would make the mistake

19. penguin vic

penguin vic Senior member

If I'm going to pay for working buttonholes, I'm going to [bold]show them off[/bold] so I leave the last button undone on a single sleeve.

So you pay extra in order to undo one button on one sleeve? The majority of your audience may think you've lost a button ... [​IMG]

Just stirring away ... [​IMG] ... The practice makes no difference to me one way or the other. Learning people's motivations is interesting though.

20. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

I fidget with mine all day long, and often leave it off.

The other day I was working in the newsroom and I had the cuffs unbuttoned and rolled up with my shirtsleeves.