• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lasik NYC

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a cursory search against these forums and didn't see anything similar to what I'm about to ask:

To those who have performed Lasik (Lasek?) surgery in NYC, where did you do it? Can you make any recommendations on where to go ?

For all who actually have performed the surgery:

Do you have astigmatism? post-surgery experience?

I'm seriously considering getting this done early 2012 and would appreciate any feedback.

Boogz

Reaction score
There are substantial risks. I wear glasses, love the idea of not having to, but would never have the surgery.
Read the article about it at spectechsantamonica.com, the website of a shop I go to.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people with a combination of myopia and astigmatism will have a condition that causes "regression" after Lasik. In other words, you get the Lasik, it works great for a year or so, then your eye focus changes and you're once again nearsighted - not as nearsighted as before the surgery, but nearsighted enough to need a pair of glasses to get around. I know 2 people that this happened to.

Other than that, the risks are relatively small and the surgery is over with in a minute.

King Solomon

Reaction score
I got the process done for astigmatism. One of my tear ducts was damaged in one eye so I have to use drops now. It's a shame but overall I'm still happy with the results. You really cannot put a price one your eyesight.

Quote: Luke 11:34

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got the process done for astigmatism. One of my tear ducts was damaged in one eye so I have to use drops now. It's a shame but overall I'm still happy with the results. You really cannot put a price one your eyesight.

Luke 11:34
Your tear duct got damaged as a result of the surgery? Is that a common side affect?

imagined

Reaction score
If you have large pupils or significant astigmatism I would stay far away from Lasik. The lasers have a limited optical zone and if you happen to be in the upper percentile of the population in dilated pupil size you will experience glare/halos/starburst effects on lights at night because the treatment zone ends inside of your field of view. This is a huge problem that is not talked about a lot but can basically cause you to lose your ability to drive at night if it's severe enough.

Lasek and PRK are not the same as Lasik, just fyi.

If you really want to get it done, do research on who has the best equipment. There are significant differences between makes and generations of lasers. I'd also get at least two screenings from different doctors to make sure you are a good candidate. There have been instances where people who are not good candidates are pushed through for profit's sake.

Last edited:

innerstyle

Reaction score

Some people with a combination of myopia and astigmatism will have a condition that causes "regression" after Lasik. In other words, you get the Lasik, it works great for a year or so, then your eye focus changes and you're once again nearsighted - not as nearsighted as before the surgery, but nearsighted enough to need a pair of glasses to get around. I know 2 people that this happened to.

Other than that, the risks are relatively small and the surgery is over with in a minute.

Some places include free "touch ups" if your vision changes or if you aren't 20/20 after the initial surgery.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should also take a look into PRK. It is a lot safer as no flap is cut into the eye. They scrape off your cornea and reshape the eye then the cornea re-grows. I had it done in May and my vision is good. I have friends who have had it done like 4 years ago and all of them are happy with it.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Mandel Vision - considered to be one of the best in the city, and eyesight is perfect now. Recommended.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
check out
http://www.parkavenuelasek.com/

i had my eyes done there late December 2010. At that time there where 3 packages costing 4,5 and 6k. Each of them use the same technique where the cornea is "shaved" and not cut.

It took a good 2-3 weeks for the blurriness to go away, but after that it has been crystal clear, 20-20, no dry eyes and no other problems.

The other thing worth recommending this place is that there is one doctor, the owner who does all the surgeries. The only thing to note is that some people find the doc's bedside manner to be a bit gruff, I had no problems.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

check out
http://www.parkavenuelasek.com/

i had my eyes done there late December 2010. At that time there where 3 packages costing 4,5 and 6k. Each of them use the same technique where the cornea is "shaved" and not cut.

It took a good 2-3 weeks for the blurriness to go away, but after that it has been crystal clear, 20-20, no dry eyes and no other problems.

The other thing worth recommending this place is that there is one doctor, the owner who does all the surgeries. The only thing to note is that some people find the doc's bedside manner to be a bit gruff, I had no problems.

2-3 weeks for blurriness to go away...man, that must have been HELL. Were you told that it would take that long? is that a normal post-op symptom?

Thanks for the tips so far.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
yes @park av. lasek they are upfront about the trade off. The basic idea is when you "shave" the eyeball, this eliminates the potential side effects that go with cutting a flap (e.g. the flap does not heal perfectly when it is put back) But you have to wait for the eye to naturally regenerate the area that was shaved for the blurriness to go away.

It is my understanding that when you cut a flap you are back to near perfect in 2 or 3 days. My recovery was
After surgery day 0: eyes shut 99.99% of the rest of the day
day 1: eyes open 1 hour
day 2: eyes open 2 hours... etc until you are back to a full day
This is about a week and you are at like 80-90% (I was tested at 20/20 one week after my surgery) over the next few weeks your sight gets better and better.

I had my surgery done the week between Christmas and New Years, I did not and could not have gone to work that week after surgery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads