• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large metal watches with tailoring.

Sport watch with tailoring.

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

It was Broccoli's Rolex, on a too narrow 16mm Royal Marines NATO strap which looks black and grey on screen but was actually in this colour scheme

I'm guessing this was because Connery's wrist was too big for the bracelet and it was an ad hoc addition (and works for a Naval Commander)

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy watches, but I still don't understand why we care what watch James Bond wore/wears.
For me it was at age 10 in the mid-1970s when I was allowed to stay up late on a school night and watch the ABC Sunday Movie of the Week with my Dad. It was Goldfinger and when Connery came out of the water and peeled off his wet suit to reveal his white dinner jacket, put in his boutonniere, and then casually checked his Rolex I was hooked. Didn't know what Rolex was but I wanted that watch. Didn't even know that a wet suit was literally named and he should have been completely waterlogged.

Bond resonated culturally for a lot of reasons. Anglophilia, action hero, always got the babes, but mostly, I'm guessing, Bond let white males feel good about themselves during the turmoil of the 1960s (feminism, civil rights, post-Colonialism, etc.). I read the books as a kid and couldn't help but notice that Bond was not a nice guy and was quite vicious. Still, Connery resonated a cool that demanded emulation.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy watches, but I still don't understand why we care what watch James Bond wore/wears.

I think the Bond Movies were probably the first time young British people with disposable incomes were exposed to designer goods and product placement (even though It was originally accidental).

You have to remember Brits barely had TV in the early 60s, and were avid cinema fans (my parents went to "the flicks" at least twice per week as youngsters)

I agree though, it doesn't make much sense now ?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I should at least admit that I have, in fact, seen watches in movies and wanted them because they look cool. Paul Newman's DateJust in Color of Money and Pierce Brosnan's gold Reverso in Thomas Crown Affair immediately come to mind. I just find the Bond fascination to be odd.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should at least admit that I have, in fact, seen watches in movies and wanted them because they look cool. Paul Newman's DateJust in Color of Money and Pierce Brosnan's gold Reverso in Thomas Crown Affair immediately come to mind. I just find the Bond fascination to be odd.

On a more serious note, I think its just a really easily understood touchstone that if not thought about too much is equated with easy sex.

I would much rather be Brosnan in Crown than Brosnan in Bond. And the gold Reverso is a better watch than any watch Bond wore.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a continuation of people emulating movie stars. Trying to dress like Cary Grant, style hair like James Dean, or dressing cool like Steve McQueen.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cary Grant, James Dean and Steve McQueen are (were) real people though...James Bond isn't. You know that right?
If someone dresses like Cary Grant in NxNW does it matter whether they are emulating the actor or the character? The emulation of James Bond ends at suits, watches, cars and such. Not many folks run around with Walthers and exploding gadgets.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A large portion of men seem to think an emotionally broken mass killer with a high likelihood of VD is a dream scenario?

In the movies he has personally killed 500 plus people, including at least two massacres of 100 plus.

That's not a bad strike rate in 25 movies ?

He always has a dry little joke, a smile for a pretty girl and loves his booze and a smoke, I think what he really represents is the ordinary guys who served in the war (maybe that’s why he seems so out of date nowadays). He was basically Flemings tribute to fighting men!!!

Of course he was never going home to his wife and kids in Wigan like the real guys, hence the expensive accessories and the lack of responsibilities

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the movies he has personally killed 500 plus people, including at least two massacres of 100 plus.

That's not a bad strike rate in 25 movies ?

He always has a dry little joke, a smile for a pretty girl and loves his booze and a smoke, I think what he really represents is the ordinary guys who served in the war (maybe that’s why he seems so out of date nowadays). He was basically Flemings tribute to fighting men!!!

Of course he was never going home to his wife and kids in Wigan like the real guys, hence the expensive accessories and the lack of responsibilities

Both my grandfather's served in WW2 and Korea, and I can't remember either one much caring for Bond. My dad likes the Connery version, but he never served.

I liked the character a lot as a kid, it just doesn't hold much allure for me now.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cary Grant, James Dean and Steve McQueen are (were) real people though...James Bond isn't. You know that right?

That's not entirely true, James Bond is actually an amalgamation of real people that Fleming worked with during WW2 mixed in with his own fantasies!!!

The name came from an American ornithologist, Fleming picked it because it was simple and not ostentatious like many middle class British heroes of the 1950s

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads