• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Language Most Useful?

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
+1

To the OP - if your motivation to learn a language is primarily personal interest, I'd stick with one of the Latin derivatives. You get Roman letters (unlike Russian or Arabic), you get an alphabet (unlike Mandarin), and if you attain a certain fluency in one you can pretty much understand and be understood in most of the others.

Cyrillic doesn't take too long to figure out.

rs232

Reaction score
^Yeah, that's the easy part. I chose French. Haven't regretted it, and have used it a fair bit. I'm pretty sure France has one of the highest {business potential/people willing to learn English well} ratios - mainly due to the relatively small denominator
wink.gif

Austin45

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Russian or Arabic, like everyone else is saying. Mandarin is basically useless to learn in a business setting because the vast majority of Chinese in business already speak english and won't want to speak to you in Mandarin anyways. French and Spanish are both nice but not as useful as Russian/Arabic in my opinion.

Let me respectfully disagree with you on this one. I don't think the Chinese as you put it actually are so versed with English. You might think that based on the fact that it is said English is the second language in China, but you will be surprise or even shocked to know that even in the biggest cities like Beijing and Shanghai, not even to mention Chongquin and Tianjin or Wuhan, less than 5% of the people here can actually address you in good and proper English.

That said, I think you are also wrong if you think that a Chinese will not want to speak Mandarin with you if you could speak it. That will only happen if your Mandarin is just as good as most Chinese English is, which is zero good.

Austin45

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Thank you for all the responses thus far!

Question regarding immersion though. I know this is the absolute best way to learn it....but I find it hard to do this still being in undergrad. It's not like I have 10k saved back to just go hang out over in Spain or China for a few months.

Ok now I am sorry for posting twice under the same thread, but I have to do this since both post addresses different issues.

If you are actually interested in studying Chinese the "immersion way", I can help you with that. There are many language exchange programs going on for undergrats. All you need is to have enough to pay your own flight ticket, because unfortunately most don't pay for your flight any more. man but. You don't need to worry about accommodation or feeding, as the program or school in which you are placed pays for that or provides that to you.

And it is a program open for summer so if you are really interested, you could be taking Chinese classes in China this summer.

How do i know all this? Because I participate in one myself.

Just let me know if you are interested and I will give you more details.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
You might keep your TV and car radio on Spanish stations.
+1 I didn't take any Spanish in high school, but my wife speaks Spanish and I listen to music in Spanish all the time and I can at least understand 75% of what people are saying. I try to converse with her in Spanish as practice which has helped. Add that to spending time spent immersing yourself in places that only speak Spanish and you will get the hang of it easily.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Yes, you will get by without it, yes, a lot of people will speak to you in English, and then they will turn and confer with their colleagues, and you will have no idea what they are saying. This is not ideal.

So really, the key is that you should know enough that they won't be sure what you know? If they know you know some, they won't be sure enough to openly do that crap in front of you (especially since a lot of language learners understand *far* more than they can speak)

For the OP though...spanish is probably pretty useful unless you are working in a hospital that already has a critical mass of spanish speakers to the point where it barely differentiates you (which is quite likely in florida). Then you might want to look for another language with high immigration to your area (since it is usually only the immigrants and tourists that would need pure foreign language medical care...their children will know english)

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Thank you for all the responses thus far!

Question regarding immersion though. I know this is the absolute best way to learn it....but I find it hard to do this still being in undergrad. It's not like I have 10k saved back to just go hang out over in Spain or China for a few months.

Even semesters abroad should be just about the price of tuition....

mehhhh

Reaction score
Chinese, German, Spanish, and Japanese are the most useful languages for business IMO, unless you plan to be involved in anything oil related. Unfortunately Chinese and Japanese are tough to learn.

Spanish would be my go-to if I were in Florida.

Studying Latin is always fun, too.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mongolian and Klingon.

Originally Posted by dragon8
Doing business in China requires Mandarin

+1

It's more or less essential, especially if you're trying to sell them something.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Austin45
Ok now I am sorry for posting twice under the same thread, but I have to do this since both post addresses different issues.

If you are actually interested in studying Chinese the "immersion way",

There are many people in China who want to study English this way, and will pay good money to some quite expensive English immersion schools.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
So really, the key is that you should know enough that they won't be sure what you know? If they know you know some, they won't be sure enough to openly do that crap in front of you (especially since a lot of language learners understand *far* more than they can speak)

I do it all the time.

Basically people turn and confer in Vietnamese in front of me a lot. My VNese is OK (tough ******* language btw) but certainly far from business-grade and I will sit there and listen, understanding enough to know what is going on, but not the details of it.

When there is a point being made between them that I am 100 percent certain I understood, details and all, I interject and answer in English.

Then time stops.

Everyone assumes that I have understood absolutely everything.

Then nothing happens in Vietnamese again for the rest of the meeting.

Destination_Arubin

Reaction score
I guess if you're going to a business level, which is pretty damn high I'd stick with something like Spanish or French because I think they're slightly easier to get good at than say Chinese or Japanese.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they're easier, but I think the language sentence structure is more similar than Asian languages to English which makes learning them maybe slightly easier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads