• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Language Most Useful?

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody I know who has studied Chinese or Arabic, no matter how useful it was, ever called it "fun". You're going to be a doctor, you're in the middle of Florida...Spanish is going to hit the sweet spot of useful and fun.

FTFY:
Originally Posted by Matt
"you need Spanish to pick up hot Latinas in Florida". Yes, you will get by without it, yes, a lot of hot Latinas will speak to you in English, and then they will turn and confer with their hot Latina friends, and you will have no idea what they are saying. This is not ideal.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Studying languages is for chumps, learn by immersion doing it. Leaning/speaking Chinese has been a blast for me, I honestly don't know how any foreigners can live in China without being fluent, you just miss so much.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Studying languages is for chumps, learn by immersion doing it. Leaning/speaking Chinese has been a blast for me, I honestly don't know how any foreigners can live in China without being fluent, you just miss so much.

That's great advice for students.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(having learned spanish), I'd have to say Arabic, Farsi, Portuguese, or of course, Mandarin. Echo all the sentiments about business possibilities, as well as the above quote about learning by immersion. Best way to learn is to get pinned down in a real-life situation and speak your way out of it.

I've got American friends that are bilingual in each, and constantly think that each of them are totally in shape to use their abilities business-wise in emerging third-world countries. Tons of money there, no doubt. I suppose Spanish too, but it's just so common now.

Personally, I'd love to learn something like Catalan or Gallego. Just to do it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for somebody whose going to be a doctor living in the US, I'd say spanish - as a matter of fact for anybody living in the US who wasn't in international business, I'd say spanish.

for somebody who wants to do international business - I'd say learning a very little bit of 4 or 5 languages is much better than learning one language well. if you study arabic for a year, you probably won't get to speak very well, ditto mandarin. what you really need is to be able to talk to a taxi driver or a waitress, more than actually have a conversation.

hindi is the worst language in the world to learn - every indian that you would want to speak to speaks english, and there are many dialects in india. on top of that, hindi itself changes from region to region, so you could put a hard year into studying it, and never find anybody who you can really speak with

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
hindi is the worst language in the world to learn - every indian that you would want to speak to speaks english, and there are many dialects in india. on top of that, hindi itself changes from region to region, so you could put a hard year into studying it, and never find anybody who you can really speak with

+1.

Most Indians would rather speak their local language before Hindi.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
+1.

Most Indians would rather speak their local language before Hindi.

and very often if two indians from differnt regions talk, the common language will be english before hindi

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses thus far!

Question regarding immersion though. I know this is the absolute best way to learn it....but I find it hard to do this still being in undergrad. It's not like I have 10k saved back to just go hang out over in Spain or China for a few months.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put a Craiglist ad out for some Spanish speaker who needs to improve their English, and do some kind of language exchange a few times a week. Meet for an hour each time, half an hour of Spanish and half an hour of English. Protip: The more attractive she is, the more dedicated you'll be.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

Northern dialects are often similar to Hindi. South Indian languages are incomprehensible to someone that knows just Hindi, though.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Thank you for all the responses thus far!

Question regarding immersion though. I know this is the absolute best way to learn it....but I find it hard to do this still being in undergrad. It's not like I have 10k saved back to just go hang out over in Spain or China for a few months.

Go to your foreign studies office, they should have details on various scholarships and/or programs available. If you would consider a 6-month sabbatical, Rotary International used to sponsor students to study abroad, live with a host family and even provide a stipend. I did this in high school, but not sure if available to undergrads.

Mr. White

Reaction score
You might keep your TV and car radio on Spanish stations.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
English, Spanish, Mandarin covers the majority of the world as far as languages go. Russian wouldn't be bad if you're involved in business in Eastern Europe.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashpool
Java and C++ are pretty useful imo.

+1.

everyone speaks english nowadays. you can't code in arabic or mandarin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads