• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Thrift Stores - A hope for guidance

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
I’m in LA for the summer, and I know there’s a decent representation of the SF community that is in and around the LA area so I was hoping the more seasoned here could point me to some of the better thrift stores to check out. Just had a decent jaunt into Buffalo Exchange on Main Street in Santa Monica but I bet there are far better, or much more, ones than that.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m in LA for the summer, and I know there’s a decent representation of the SF community that is in and around the LA area so I was hoping the more seasoned here could point me to some of the better thrift stores to check out. Just had a decent jaunt into Buffalo Exchange on Main Street in Santa Monica but I bet there are far better, or much more, ones than that.

Try asking here...it's one of the most active threads on the forum http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People aren't likely to give up their best spots and create new competition for themselves. If you ask this in the thrifting thread, people will post a Google search link and say "good luck." But really you can find good stuff thrifting anywhere if you're patient and lucky. Especially in LA (though there's also probably a higher volume of professional flippers there you're competing with).

It helps to follow the money...lots of times the wealthier areas have the "better" finds (assuming you're after "high end" clothes). But that's not always the case either, especially when a chain has a central distribution system.

But Buffalo Exchange is a consignment shop not a thrift store. Plenty of consignment shops to check out there too if that's what you mean. Yelp / Google + making sure they carry menswear before you visit will get you far.

Last edited:

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score

People aren't likely to give up their best spots and create new competition for themselves. If you ask this in the thrifting thread, people will post a Google search link and say "good luck."

I feared as much. I hoped the fact that being an awkwardly slender 6’4” guy would mean I wouldn’t offer competition to the majority of people, but it makes sense.

Thanks for the distinciton on Buffalo Exchange, that’s enlightening

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I lived in LA most of the thrifts got picked over super quickly, possbly by the many other vintage shops in the city. Not sure what you're looking for. Maybe try Savers in Torrance. You might find trad/classic stuff donated by the Palos Verdes crowd. Maybe a former Laker will have some tall gear. If you want designer stuff, just go check the consignment stores in LA/Hollywood.

btw, your username kicks bass.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads