• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Shoe Shine Shunday!! ;)

SUMMER IS COMING!
In honor of Derby Day and the rapidly approaching summer, I'm getting a couple white bucks primed and ready for service.

Today's libation is … as you might expect for such an occasion … a mint julep served in a tall glass.

BEFORE: AE Spiaggia

SSS-20140504%20-%2002.jpg

BEFORE: BB White Bucks

SSS-20140504%20-%2003.jpg

STEP 1:
Any imperfections or scuffs should be treated with the Saphir Gommadin Suede Cleaner.

SSS-20140504%20-%2004.jpg

SSS-20140504%20-%2005.jpg

STEP 2:
Brush the shoes thoroughly with a suede cleaning brush. The one I'm using is The Hanger Project's Horn-Backed Suede Cleaning Brush. It's a beautiful brush that really raises the nap and then smooths the surface of the nubuck.

SSS-20140504%20-%2006.jpg

STEP 3:
SSS-20140504%20-%2007.jpg

Then I lightly pat and wipe the surface of each shoe with Fiebing's White Buck Bag. This helps to brighten and whiten the suede much like powdering a wig … if you're familiar with such a thing :)

STEP 4:
Brush the shoes again to restore the nap, distribute the powder and smooth the surface. I found the The Hanger Project's Horn-Backed Suede Cleaning Brush was working better on the AE Spiagga's than the BB Bucks.

SSS-20140504%20-%2008.jpg

SSS-20140504%20-%2009.jpg

To finish up the Brooks Brothers Bucks I switched to another suede brush. I found The Hanger Project's Saphir Crepe Brush for Suede and Nubuck worked a bit better at smoothing this leather.

STEP 5:
A light application of Saphir's Super Invulner Spray is used for protecting, waterproofing, and providing an anti-stain treatment.

FINI:
SSS-20140504%20-%2010.jpg

And that's all there is too it!

Croquet anyone?!

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RedDevil10

^ I have a pair of RL Singleton Spectator Loafers that are a mix of tan calf and white suede. How would you go about maintaining these? These are my first spectator type shoes and I've never really thought about how one goes about keeping the combination separate and in good order. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started a little late today - shampooing my Meermin beaters. They have been sprayed with both saphir spray and nano protector (depending on which I have on hand) but I get lazy in terms of reapplying it. Nano protector has saved this shoe when a topped off gasoline hose spilled gas all over these shoes.

To start

Cleaning kit, just got the suede shampoo so looking forward to trying it out. Definitely need to get a better brush in future as well:

After shampooing, think I didn't put enough shampoo though but will find out when it dries

After watering out shampoo (also the Instagram pic)

Will post results after drying out / spraying shoes tomorrow morning

edit - after photos, stains pretty much gone

Last edited:

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@RedDevil10

^ I have a pair of RL Singleton Spectator Loafers that are a mix of tan calf and white suede. How would you go about maintaining these? These are my first spectator type shoes and I've never really thought about how one goes about keeping the combination separate and in good order. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nice - I have the RLPL (by EG) version of the same shoe. Care is basically the same as any calf, with maybe just a little more care as to where products are applied. There is a white polish product from Saphir, but it isn't exactly necessary - neutral polish/Reno ought to be enough to clean when necessary.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice - I have the RLPL (by EG) version of the same shoe. Care is basically the same as any calf, with maybe just a little more care as to where products are applied. There is a white polish product from Saphir, but it isn't exactly necessary - neutral polish/Reno ought to be enough to clean when necessary.

Are you actually suggesting that we can safely use the Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax on a suede shoe?

I didn't know it's safe to apply those saphir cream and waxes on a suede leather .. I thought they were designed only for smooth/calf leather ..

Last edited:

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you actually suggesting that we can safely use the Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax on a suede shoe?

I didn't know it's safe to apply those saphir cream and waxes on a suede leather .. I thought they were designed only for smooth/calf leather ..

No, thanks, @nikola - I missed that the white panels on @macjedi's pair are suede (all panels are leather on my version of the shoe). Obviously, treat the suede panels as you would any suede leather and take extra care in keeping the leather products on only the leather panels.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for following up on that … I was thinking the same thing.

No, thanks, @nikola - I missed that the white panels on @macjedi's pair are suede (all panels are leather on my version of the shoe). Obviously, treat the suede panels as you would any suede leather and take extra care in keeping the leather products on only the leather panels.

Will do!! Thanks for the response and for clarifying! Those EG's are nice shoes!!

hangerproject

Reaction score
A Downpour Of Umbrellas
Just In: Over 20 New Maglia Umbrellas + Fox Umbrellas

A downpour of umbrellas is upon us. Over 20 new styles of Maglia Francesco Umbrellas have been added along with our first collection of handmade British umbrellas from Fox Umbrellas. As we continue to build on our extensive collection of handmade umbrellas, you’ll see that we have added many more hard-to-find styles, such as poly-cotton and tartan canopies.
Buy one for yourself here: http://bit.ly/18olNsK

In related news, take a look at our new blog on Fox Umbrellas:
Fox Umbrellas: British in Name and Make

tumblr_inline_n565g5ETKT1rgujtt.jpg

Well-made umbrellas are beautiful things in their own right, and I’ve been collecting them for a few years now. Most of mine are from small workshops in Italy, some are from France, and some are vintage. A number are also from Britain, as no country – no matter how skilled their craftsmen – give umbrellas the same kind of heritage. Perhaps it’s because of our image of the ideal English gentleman, with a bowler hat on his head and the crook of an umbrella on his arm. Or perhaps it’s because presidents, royalty, and movie stars have always gotten their umbrellas from here.
Either way, some may be surprised to find out that not all English umbrellas are made in England. Some are in fact made in Italy. Fox Umbrellas, however, have been making theirs on their wet isle for almost 150 years. In fact, if you visit their offices in Surrey today, you can not only see the showroom, but also the workshop where they make their brollies.
The process starts with the stick. If the umbrella is made from a solid piece of wood – such that a single stick forms both the handle and shaft – then a small groove must be cut into the wood so that a metal spring can be inserted. Since each wood is different, and each cut can be a hair off, the springs must be twisted and bent by hand, so that they fit perfectly inside these grooves. If they’re just a millimeter off, they’ll rub against the side of the wood and wear the shaft down from the inside.

Read More on Fox Umbrellas here. http://bit.ly/1m2OrDC

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a vote to create or source a more cost effective garment bag. I'm not cheap, but $65+ a pop adds up quick if you wanna moth-proof your entire wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads