• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaaaaaand...we're back!

Today I'm finishing last week's cleaning of a pair of Gaziano & Girling loafers in fox suede — join me by posting photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after shots, please)!

Each participant this week who cross-posts to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday and #entry) will receive one entry for a drawing to be held in nine weeks for a $500 Hanger Project gift certificate!

Without further ado, let's get to it...

These loafers were, among other things, shampooed for last week's Shoe Shine Sunday with Saphir Omni'Nettoyant suede cleaner, and just need a little finishing.

The "damage"
Saphir Renovateur
Tarrago Nano Protector Water Proofing Spray
Leather Shoeshine Carpet
Horn-Backed Suede Cleaning Brush
Lighter
After shampooing last week, stains and dirt were removed from the suede, leaving them uniform in color, albeit with a few "hairs" as a result of all of the brushing during the cleaning process. To finish them up, I brushed them a bit more with the Horn-Backed Suede Cleaning Brush to raise the nap and then...broke out my lighter to remove the "hairs" standing up from the suede. To remove those, I just set the flame close to the hairs but not touching the suede — the heat from the flame burned just the "hair" off quickly without damaging the suede itself.

After another quick brushing with Horn-Backed Suede Cleaning Brush, I took the loafers outside to apply the Tarrago Nano Protector Water Proofing Spray. I sprayed each shoe liberally to the point that they darkened uniformly without looking "wet" and then I let them dry for an hour — again, outside (think about what this spray does — you don't want to breathe it).

Once dry, I lightly applied some Saphir Renovateur to the crocodile tassels to clean off any Tarrago Nano Protector Water Proofing Spray on them.

Cleaning the Croctopi​

After lightly buffing the Saphir Renovateur off, the loafers are all set for wear.

So Fresh and So Clean, Clean

Remember to post photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (again - before and after, please) and also cross-post your photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday and #entry) — start collecting entries now for the drawing to be held in nine weeks for a $500 Hanger Project gift certificate!

I'll be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After shampooing last week, stains and dirt were removed from the suede, leaving them uniform in color, albeit with a few "hairs" as a result of all of the brushing during the cleaning process.  To finish them up, I brushed them a bit more with the Horn-Backed Suede Cleaning Brush to raise the nap and then...broke out my lighter to remove the "hairs" standing up from the suede.  To remove those, I just set the flame close to the hairs but not touching the suede — the heat from the flame burned just the "hair" off quickly without damaging the suede itself.

Great Post! SCARY, but GREAT! :eek:

LeMaitreChat

Reaction score
After another quick brushing with Horn-Backed Suede Cleaning Brush, I took the loafers outside to apply the Tarrago Nano Protector Water Proofing Spray. I sprayed each shoe liberally to the point that they darkened uniformly without looking "wet" and then I let them dry for an hour — again, outside (think about what this spray does — you don't want to breathe it).
Do you generally prefer the Tarrago Nano to the Saphir Invulner? As a side note, I've been wanting to try the Tarrago Oil Nano spray for ages, but the only sources seem to be UK-based and they don't ship abroad. If Kirby were to get a shipment, I would definitely be in for a can...

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you generally prefer the Tarrago Nano to the Saphir Invulner? As a side note, I've been wanting to try the Tarrago Oil Nano spray for ages, but the only sources seem to be UK-based and they don't ship abroad. If Kirby were to get a shipment, I would definitely be in for a can...

6, 1/2 dozen, and so on.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Shoe Shine Shunday! ;)

Today, I'm giving a little TLC to a pair of Alden Whiskey Cordovan Long Wing Bluchers.

Today's libation … 2010 Loring Wine Company "Convergence".
Russell Family Vineyard Paso Robles
75% Grenache, 25% Mourvedre

BEFORE:

^ I find it a bit frustrating that (IMO) my before photos show them all looking pretty nice as is … however this would not be the case if I didn't care for them routinely after every wear. These are well over a year old and have been brushed and buffed after every wear. Despite never having been waxed, periodic treatment with a Deer Polishing Bone and Saphir Renovateur keep them looking great.

After wiping down with a damp cloth and a bit of brushing, I bone each shoe with a Deer Polishing Bone. The deer bone smooths the leather, diminishes scratches and imparts oils which help to keep it looking young and lively. I then brush vigorously with a Large Horsehair Shoe Polishing Brush to distribute the oils left behind by the deer bone. Next, I apply Saphir Renovateur to clean & moisturize. Let dry for a few minutes.

Wipe the shoes down with a soft cloth, then brush vigorously for several minutes followed by a good buffing with a Chamois.

Lastly, I apply Edge Dressing where needed.

AFTER:

Cheers!

#shoeshinesunday
#entry

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polished up my brother's Common Projects today, never seen leather drink Saphir creme like this. Didn't have any reno so it was creme and one light coat of wax. Sneakers are 2 years old about, worn pretty regularly and in snow.
Before:

After:

And Instagram photo:

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@niklasnordin I guess I will wait for the next week to upload my pre-after photos, as this is unbeatable .. :D

niklasnordin

Reaction score
But you're very good at polishing ... congratulations. Really. Where did you learn?

thanks, I still feel I have a long way to go :)
I've just read the shoecare thread here and also looked at various tutorials, by both Crat and the shoesnob. Then its just a matter of willingness to expriment, time and not being afraid to fail :)

hangerproject

Reaction score
Just In: New CEDES Travel Accessories

Our CEDES Chocolate Lambskin Shearling Shoe Shine Mitt is perfect for that final buff to your favorite pair of shoes. At home or while traveling, the unshaven, soft lamb shearling provides that final gloss for the perfect shine. Crafted from butter-soft lambskin with a matching storage bag.
Developed in collaboration with CEDES exclusively for The Hanger Project, our new CEDES Lambskin Travel Bag is an indulgence in every sense. Crafted from butter-soft lambskin and completely lined with supple lamb shearling, the travel bag will protect the finest shoes against damage during travel.
http://bit.ly/1iL8uFD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads