• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kettlebells?

BankerBoi

Reaction score

tommygustavo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Would someone please clue me in on the virtues of kettlebells? I see from perusing the threads here that they are enjoying quite a comeback. My gym rat wife has also alluded to their popularity. Back when I was training hardest--between 1964 and 1984--they just seemed sort of pointless and archaic. A few outfits offered kettlebell handles for dumbbells, but for the most part they just seemed to hark back to the era of Indian clubs, globe barbells and Eugen Sandow. What's behind their renascence?

Because of its proven effectivity. Have you heard about the 300 work out where they also used kettle balls? The efficacy after a workout with kettle balls can be felt without a doubt.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish people would stop with the 300 workout bullshit.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got into a habit of wearing whichever jeans I want to break in while doing KB stuff at home. Custom fadez, ya'll.

Try that at the gym
devil.gif

95///M3

Reaction score
Thought I would post this here... I have one extra 32kg KB from the group buy available.

Price is $95 picked up in Manhattan. Brand is American Kettlebell Club, pro-grade, competetion style.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need to buy a 20 Kg now, anybody done research recently and know where has the best prices?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I need to buy a 20 Kg now, anybody done research recently and know where has the best prices?

why a 20kg? Such a non-standard size.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have set a goal to be able to do 100 one hand overhead swing and presses with a 24. I can do it with a 16, can't even come close with a 24. so I figure the only way to get there is to work with a 20.

seriously, if anybody has a better suggestion, I am up for it.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I have set a goal to be able to do 100 one hand overhead swing and presses with a 24. I can do it with a 16, can't even come close with a 24. so I figure the only way to get there is to work with a 20.

seriously, if anybody has a better suggestion, I am up for it.

I mean it sort of makes sense, but if you can do even one with a 24, you should be able to build up to it?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I mean it sort of makes sense, but if you can do even one with a 24, you should be able to build up to it?

actually, I gave up on buying the 20 - my gym has them, and I have gotten to 60 reps in less than 3 weeks. when I can do 100 reps, I'll buy a 24.

Geruvah

Reaction score
I guess since we're talking about our good routines, I'll share some of mine. Been using KBs since 2006. Using a 24kg:

1x20 swings (if I'm feeling really energetic, double swings with a 20kg since I don't own a second 24kg yet)
1x10 high pull
1x10 clean and military press
1x10 one arm snatches
1x6 alternating cleans
1x5 double kettlebell windmill (5 seems little but with double kettlebells, it kills)
1x10 rack squat

Rest for one minute and do 3 more sets. Trying to work my way up to 6.

There's a lot more routines that I do with more movements. I can share them later. All of them will soak your shirt and your throat dry. One movement I'm trying to get perfect with is the "Around the Body" which really works out the core from what I'm experiencing. I dedicate one day to just juggling in a given week. Well...I should say I TRY to. Okay maybe more like I resolve to.

I never did the 300 swings flambeur does. Every November though, I do a 200 swings in under 10 minutes challenge and that's already enough to make my forearms cry in pain. I have no idea how you can do another hundred, your grip must be godly.

K-Bear

Reaction score
If you get into girevoy sport, timed sets of snatches, two arm jerks and long cycle clean and jerks will kick your but.

Stick with the pro-style bells like perform better and akc. Akc is coming out with an adjustable bell soon.

Not many dvd's out there usgsf's secret's out dvd is good, mike mahler's age of quarrel will cover everything but is pricey at $150.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mahler = cool

My KBs are gathering dust for a now, switching it up and concentrating on the big three for a little bit, but will go back to them soon enough. Still can't go back to anything that involves sitting or laying on the bench though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads